PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bone effector center is offset!

Sbowling
10-27-2006, 06:17 AM
I was doing some animation on a character and I noticed that the effector for the arm bone was offset from the object it was consrtained to. I thought that I had accidentally set an offset on the constraint, but that's not the case. I tried removing the constraint and resetting it and that doesn't fix it either. I then tried constraining the effector to another objects and that has the same problem. I've tried snapping the effector to the controller object, but that also has an offset. As far as I amaware, there is not supposed to be any way to move the center of a null or effector object, so I'm really not sure as to what's going on. If anyone has any ideas as to what is going on I would really appreciate any help.

tuna
10-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Ctrl+K to get your Kinematics PPE up, then inside the "pivot" tab, is everything on 0? Especially the pivot and compensation position sliders as those will definitely offset the center pivot on anything.

Sbowling
10-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Everything is at 0, except for the neutral pose stuff, but that's not affecting anything that I can tell. I've decided to go ahead and move back to an earlier version of the project and start animating from the begining. I've already spent more time trying to fix this problem than it would have taken to start over. I would like to know if anyone has seen anything like this and if there is a fix for it, in case I run into the problem again.

Helli
10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I've decided to go ahead and move back to an earlier version of the project and start animating from the begining.

What about saving your animation as action and apply it on an earlier version of your rigged character ? There is no need to make the animation again.

greetings Helli

Sbowling
10-29-2006, 01:24 AM
I've decided to go ahead and move back to an earlier version of the project and start animating from the begining.

What about saving your animation as action and apply it on an earlier version of your rigged character ? There is no need to make the animation again.

greetings Helli

I'm actually much happier with the newer animation and I really did spend more time troubleshooting the problem than I did on the animation, so it's not a real loss.

I would still like to know what happened. I notice that while trying to snap the controller object to other objects, the object was offset, but if I tried to snap other objects to the controller object, the snapped to it's center as expected. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2006, 01:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.