PDA

View Full Version : vehicle : mini cooper

SimonReeves
02-06-2003, 01:04 PM
hi there
this model took me about 3 days to model, and a lot longer to unwrap it and some tweaking :thumbsup: enjoy :)

oh and modeled in max 4.2 [epoly] and rendered with brazil

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/mini/2mini.jpg

chot
02-06-2003, 01:17 PM
nice work! :thumbsup:
how did you do to make the render look soo.. eh.. glossy? don't know what it's called, but it don't look like an ordinary brazil render.. realy good work with that lightning/render or however you did it!

Idi
02-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Really interesting render, nice model too.
check my Mini out in the Post your car thread I think it's on
page 14.

Later

stephen2002
02-06-2003, 02:21 PM
The modeling/texturing looks good. However they appear to be very tiny, the scale is off.

CapnPanic
02-06-2003, 02:47 PM
nice work :) my only suggestions would be to do a render from a lower camera angle, which would probably fix the problem of them looking small/toy-like. and other then that, maybe a less glossy material for the tires...as right now they look like they are fresh out of the mold and still kinda greasy...seems like they could due to be dulled down a bit, if nothing else, at least on the tread

SimonReeves
02-06-2003, 03:07 PM
here is a nother render with a different paint job for you :)

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/mini/mini10.jpg

capn : i think that might be why it does look small [if you think it does ;)]

chot: oh yeah i played with it in photoshop a bit after the render of course ;)

sebek27
02-06-2003, 05:09 PM
nice car! what modeling method are you using ? any good tutorials on your method ??
thanks

ThirdEye
02-06-2003, 05:27 PM
This color looks great! :thumbsup:

Skyraider3D
02-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Very nice model and ditto textures. Just the windscreen doesn't seem steep enought to me.

Could you explain us your material settings. The gloss and reflections and all look really sweet! :)

chot
02-06-2003, 08:03 PM
ok.. could we please have a look at one thats not edited in photoshop?

JBruckner
02-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Wow, it looks really nice. THe "fuzz" adds a nice effect to it. I cant think of anything negative to say about it, great job.

SimonReeves
02-08-2003, 03:50 PM
here is the render with no work in ps

it is rendered with hdri, the material for the main car body is just the usual brazil material with a fresnel falloff map [pretty much]
:thumbsup:
http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/3d/2mini_nops.jpg

lurifrax
02-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Very nice.. but i think the wheels look really really tiny.. but perhaps thay are supposed to be that small?

Skyraider3D
02-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by reeves1984
the material for the main car body is just the usual brazil material with a fresnel falloff map [pretty much]

Hmmm... what is it reflecting then? Some people put large white planes above their model, but then their reflections just look like... well... like they're reflecting large white planes. Often with horrible aliasing going on as well. How do you get it this smooth?

Also two things I noticed...
1) the material is single-sided and here and there it's showing gaps (especially with the orange Mini)
2) the top edge of the windscreen seems a bit messy, both modelling and texturing. What's going on there? :)

Other than that, they're just lovely :)

Last question... what did you do with the glass? You seem to use shadowmaps, and that normally makes anything behind semi-transparent objects really dark.
A trick I recently discovered to prevent this, is to turn off shadowcasting of the glass objects. Did you do this too or did you find another workaround?

Cheers!

SimonReeves
02-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Hmmm... what is it reflecting then? Some people put large white planes above their model, but then their reflections just look like... well... like they're reflecting large white planes. Often with horrible aliasing going on as well. How do you get it this smooth?
i think the hdri image in the environment slot, was slightly blurred [as a few are] which would give it a softer finish - but one could also use glossy reflections and would produce simliar reflections i think

the flamed version is a bit older so i think i havre fixed where some of the parts a bit dodgy, like above the window, and down below the main headlight

the window do have 'cast shadows' turned off ,yes :)

here is a wireframe

http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/3d/miniwire.jpg

chesky Wang
02-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Good job!
I like the lighting and reflection, looks like rendered by cinema4d.
But I don't know why, just a little feel that is a toy. maybe the image's size. Keep your post :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.