PDA

View Full Version : Glu3D fire question

onionringofdoom
10-27-2006, 03:34 AM
http://www.giantapestudios.com/Anim/Glu_fire.mov (http://www.giantapestudios.com/Anim/Glu_fire.mov)
Last night I came across this here movie of a fire effect made using Glu3D. It's so realistic it makes me cry every time I watch it. The guy who made it is apparently making a tutorial soon, but he summarized his process as this:

"emit glu particles onto a ball with high friction, so u get that nice sliding along a surface feel,
then send those particles threw a pflow birth op,
use a deflector to "select" the upper particles,
then spawn 60/70% particles from those selected particles,using a rate by distance.
Apply a couple of winds one for the upward force the other for the noise effect and add a lil drag,
Pwrapp the hole thing"

I'm rather new to glu, so if someone could tell me what all that means, that'd be great. I'll try to figure some of it out though.

superhypersam
11-15-2006, 02:06 AM
1st off dont worry about that overly complex explanation. :shrug:confuses me, and I wrote it. heh

To get that look its just a matter of creating a particle system with fire like movement.
several great tutorials on this just look around.

apply a pwrapper blob mesh , adjust to get the detail u want, apply a falloff map in the opacity channel and a gradient in the diffuse channel.

The final step is in comp, apply a very small amount of displacement based on the original image. this creates the tendril like edges.

heh and one of these days i will make a vid tutorial since my explanations are so bad.

cheers

Glacierise
11-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Dude, I hope you answer my question here :) What is the wind setup you are using? Tell us, please!

superhypersam
11-22-2006, 01:01 AM
using 2 kinds of standard max winds

1st wind is spherical , strength value is a negative -0.11 , decay value 0.04, turb 0.06 Fre 0.5
scale 1.5 range indicator 5

this is placed above the part system and is used to draw parts towards it.

2nd wind, jsut turb settings turb 0.15, Fre 1.5, scale .2

this is used for the wavey movement.

Depending on scene scale this can all change!

pretty standard set up,

the hard bit is getting the pwrapper and shader settings just right.

cheers

Glacierise
11-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks a lot dude, much appreciated! And what about the pwrapper - are you doing some fancy vol select/push?

There is a neat trick - using a noise animated XForm with a vol selected pwrapper, to make the tendrils dance around. Do you use something like this, or it's just great pwrapper setup?

Thanks a lot again!

superhypersam
11-22-2006, 10:32 PM
nah, nothing too clever with the pwrapper settings.

i have used a volume select and push combo to thin out the upper tendrils, but not in that exxample.

i get the tendril effect in comp, by diplacing the image by itself.

s

Glacierise
11-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks a lot man. Will try it myself ;)

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2006, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.