PDA

View Full Version : Character Design - Russian - (WIP)

bbox85
10-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Hey all,

I'm modeling this guy for a game project; however, he's suppose to be Russian. I'm unsure of any defining traits that would make it obvious that he's Russian. I've added Russian prison tattoos to his right arm, but that doesn't feel like enough. Also, what can I do do make him a little more dynamic. He seems sort of bland right now. He needs hair, but I guess that goes along with trying to make him look Russian. I'm trying to avoid the Dolph Lungren look. Any suggestions on how to make him more dynamic and a little more... Russian? Thanks!

benclark
10-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Woah, thats freaky. You've drawn an almost exact portrait of my dad!

2 little things I noticed about the drawing are that his head is maybe a bit small and round, and he is wearing a ladies watch

I dont know if theres anything you could add to the model to make it look definetively Russian without going the stereotype route and giving him a big furry hat and a bottle of potato vodka

I think a lot can be done in the skin texture to hint at him being an eastern European. Also you could thicken up the beard a little - like this (http://www.flexistentialist.org/december02/rade.jpg) - but again you are kinda going down the stereotype route

bbox85
10-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Ha, yeah he is wearing a lady's watch... I'll have to change that... or make it an interesting twist on his back story. Thickening the beard sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll make him look a little similar to Rasputin. Crazy coincidence about this character looking like your dad though. Thanks for the feedback!

CyanideCotdPnuts
10-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't know if it's me, but I believe that Russians generally have lower eyelids that are always slightly puffier than most people. Their eyes also slope down and out, not down and in. I think a good example of what I'm trying to explain is in the movie Snatch, the character Boris the Blade is who I'm referring to. As a matter of fact, if you take most of the characters played in the intro, they're all Russian too (minus Benicio Del Toro)

bbox85
11-03-2006, 05:41 AM
So here's the updated concept of the Russian. Through further evaluation of the character design doc and talk with the designer, this is the general idea of the character. Any comments or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks!

CyanideCotdPnuts
11-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Not to be mean, but it looks exactly the same except he has hair and a cyborg arm (which makes it look kind of lame :/ )

bbox85
11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Y'know what, you're right. However, the cyborg arm wasn't thrown into the design of the character just as a last thought. It was actually documented in the design doc and happened to be something I overlooked or perhaps forgotten when drawing the concept out. I agree, it would be pretty lame if I just threw a cyborg arm in there in desperation of making the character look a little more interesting; however, it does pertain to the story. He does look exactly the same besides the hair and arm but it's because the initial concept was in the right direction. Do you have any suggestions on what could be changed?

CyanideCotdPnuts
11-04-2006, 10:21 PM
well, I'm no artist or anything, but this is how I believe russians are usually depicted. There's two types: the grungy, sneaky looking russian and then the sly, sophisticated russian. neither of them are happy looking, and are characterized by a defined jawline, drooping eyes, extruding cheekbones, and long noses (at least the bridge)

Here's a little sketch I did of both kinds, tapering to the image you're trying to set for the guy.

http://i12.tinypic.com/48d84yd.jpg

Hopefully it helps some inspiration. As for the cyborg arm, I would either remove it or at least adjust it to the time period. I'm not sure what time period your going for, but judging from his weapons it's present and we don't have the technology for that kind of operation. Maybe make the arm look a little more low-tec, kind of hodge-podge "we used anything we could find" type of improvisation.

bbox85
11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, I really appreciate you drawing up some sketches for me. That actually helps me out alot; however, due to time constraints I won't be able to reflect those changes in the concpet. Perhaps I can add the defining Russian features in the texture. This particular character has a brother who appears later in the game. I intend to work off of the sophisticated concept that you sketched up. It's really unfortunate that I can't do much about it right now, but I really appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Alright, so I've already begun modeling him out. I'm almost done with the base model but I'm running into some issues with how I'm going to do the hair? I'm not too experienced with modeling hair, does anyone have any suggestions? Another issue is his gun straps. If I add them in under his arm pits then I'm afraid that there will be clipping issues once he puts his arms at his sides. The current triangle count is at 2800. I already know that I'll have to cut him down to allocate enough triangles for the gun holsters and the hair. Does anyone see any unecessary geometry?

psychojohno
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
the hair you can model his head to shape where it is the shape of the hair and then paint the texture onto it or could use alpha maps you could do both. Something about that model his feet are way way way too big!! and they seem wider than they should be aswell. Like clown shoes just take another look :thumbsup: his trouser leg also seems a bit flat and im not sure about the neck maybe it is too thick but im not a character guy :shrug:

bbox85
11-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Ok, so I've modeled in the hair. I went ahead and just modeled the hair into the had rather than using planes with opacity maps. I thinned out the shoes (I thought clown shoes would have been a nice touch :P... Kidding). I also added a tie... which may are may not stay. I've never added something such as a tie to a model before. Will I run into issues when trying to rigg it? I did what I could with the pants; however, I'm not seeing to much of a change. Suggestions on how to adjust the flat aspect of it? Thanks again for the feedback thus far, it's been alot of help.

bbox85
11-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Alrighty, here's an update. I've started the texture and I have the face and pants done so far. I'm only showing the face right now because that's my primary concern. I've still yet to paint in the ears and hair... but how's progress so far? Let me know what you think. Thanks everyone!

bbox85
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I changed the red shirt to a black shirt and I'm working on the arms. I got feed back from Firaxis games not too long ago saying that my textures were too airbrushy... So I'm trying to deviate from that. His shirt needs alot more refinement, I'm just trying to get a feel for the wrinkles in his shirt right now. I've still yet to paint the ears and hair, and I'm working on hiding the seem between his wrist and hand. I intend to paint tatoos in that area; however, that low on the wrist may look funny... so I'll probably just have to do my best to hide the seem altogether. I also intend to change his pants around... I'm not sure if I like how they look. Well, here's the texture so far. Tell me what you think everyone. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.