PDA

View Full Version : How to mirror UV's in blender?

Womball
10-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm working on a character for a game right now. I was curious if you could mirror uv's for say the hands and feet in blender? Currently I'm modeling the character, and it has a mirror modifier on it. Will it keep the UV's when I join them together? Or will I have to do this when the model is joined together.

kattkieru
10-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I think the mirror modifier does mirror UVs as well... It's what I used to make my Blizzard compo low-poly entry. However, if it doesn't work for you (sometimes the modifier removes data I think it should keep) you can always just UV unwrap half the model, delete the other half, and then copy - flip - weld. After applying the weld you can then go back and re-unwrap the bits of the model that are a-symmetrical.

And because I'm curious, any shots of this game character in the making?

Womball
10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
I will ask if I can release images of it, but first I want to make sure there is compensation. I don't want to end up being screwed over and having to do an entire project on top of my senior thesis. My senior animation is going to cost $5000 in total expenses, (have to get a new destop and laptop (mine died) for working on it) and there is always always hidden costs and film festivals cost money to enter! Not to mention overall time invested. So I can use any money I can find. Although if these people offer to subsitute their are computers as a render farm for me later down the road, that may be worth it too. :-)

kattkieru
11-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Well then, I'll look forward to it if you're allowed. I think everyone around here'll be interested to see your thesis too.

Did mirroring the geometry work for you?

Womball
11-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Haven't tried it yet. The UV's that is. I want to finalize the geometry. I have hardly had any time to work on this with school though. Tough semester. If you would like to see the poly progress, pm me your email address. I will send it to you that way. Off the record, still no response if I can publicly reveal this or not.

When I start rigging my characters I will start posting images of animation wip.

TRexian
11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I was visiting another forum (www.lowpolycoop.com) and found this post:

I was doing some reading this weekend and ran across an excellent tutorial on UV texture mapping a game character in the July Issue of Blender Art Magazine (free PDF download):

http://www.blenderart.org/issue/2006/09/issue-5.html

The tutorial is by Roja of Eternal Lands (http://www.eternal-lands.com/) and starts on page 28. His artwork wont knock your socks off but the tutorial is well written and very detailed. I learned a few things. I perfer to model a half-mesh, but it never occured to me to texture it that way too. I'm definately going to try the LSCM Unwrap From Window he used for the face.

The Blenderart pdfs are a great resource.

(BTW, this is my first post here, so I hope it makes it past the validation....) ;) :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2006, 08:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.