PDA

View Full Version : Sorenson media playback

sepehr
02-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi
There has been a problem which someone here might know how to solve it...

When I resize a movie it loses quality although Macromedia says that Sorenson playback system uses a cubic (or bi-cubic) method to maintain a smooth picture.

I mean,when I import an FLV file into Flash,it is smooth even if you
zoom in for example 200%.
But the same movie when is exported to swf,when is resized(e.g fullscreen mode) is not smooth at all.
What is wrong?
Thank you very much.
Sepehr

fig
02-06-2003, 04:38 PM
i'm not positive on flv files, but as far as i know your video file is still going to be pixel-based. in flash i believe there's some smoothing done by the software so you don't get all the bitmapped information when you scale something up to look at it, and to an extent you wouldn't see drastic pixelation until you start largely scaling something past its original size. once you've exported, unless you've done trace bitmaps to turn every frame into vector information, its just like scaling up a gif or a jpg and seeing the pixels. make sense?

chris

sepehr
02-06-2003, 08:22 PM
No the problem is that there will be some flickering effect when u scale movie ONLY in platback.
It's clearly seen around something like a text which needs sharp edges.
you see something like a jpg image with very high compresseion...
I know that Flash uses some bi-cubic method to scaled movies (like quicktime...) but here it seems it makes the picture worse!

sepehr
02-19-2003, 07:40 AM
http://www.cgital.com/temp/Untitled-2.jpg
The pictures show it clearly.
The upper picture is what you see when you resize the movie in playback.
Here it is 133% of the original.
THe buttom picture is what you see in Macromedia Flash when you are working with the FLA file.
It's the same even if you hit the enter button to see the preview inside the stage window.
It's what you'd see if you had encoded the movie into MOV format and had resized the movie 133%.
THat's a very big problem for me.
Becasue I have several projects which need to be encoded into FLV format for playingback via Flash...(presentations,...)
I can't resize the movie from something like 640*480 into 1024*768 just because of this Flash problem or bug....
Suppose I have a 54 MGb 3 minute FLV file.
It will exeed 150 MG when resied that much!
I hope there is solution to this problem.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Sepehr

fig
02-19-2003, 04:40 PM
ok, i think the basic answer is that you're going to see distortion because you're scaling a pixel-based movie up, plain and simple. on screen flash (the program you're creating the movie in, not the flash player) is doing some smoothing in the software to make it look better, but the flash player doesn't do that.

are you understanding what i mean by pixel-based as opposed to a vector-based flash movie?

chris

sepehr
02-21-2003, 07:44 AM
All the other players use some methods (bi-cubic in quicktime) to have some antialiasing effect.
If you read the Flash manual it says it uses bi-cubic too.
But I don't see any.
There is only bi-cubic method in Flash itself environment and not in the player.
just useless....
:thumbsdow

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.