PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Portrait

Clanger
02-06-2003, 10:12 AM
I painted this portrait of my youngest around 2 years ago and until now never thought of sharing it here as it's pure beret and smock real paint stuff.

Anyway I thought you might like to see it.

http://www.rgore.plus.com/CGTalk/Chris/Christopher.jpg

WhiteRabbitObj
02-06-2003, 10:38 AM
That's awesome. It's almost photo quality. I am always amazed by real airbrush artists, I want to get one myself someday and experiment. On a side note, being so good with an airbrush, does it make you angry to see these potzes in malls and amusement parks making shirts with neon colors with airbrushes? Those make ME angry and I'm not even an airbrusher =)

:beer:

jeroentje
02-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Airbrushing... that was years and years ago for me.

Excellent work Clanger! Only crit would be a bit too much grey in the skincolor. But he, I couldn't do this and it looks awsome :) Nice soft edges on the ear.
Can you explain something about your technique? F.i. what parts did you mask and what material did you use for a mask? What's the size of the piece? What parts did you paint instead of airbrush?

Clanger
02-06-2003, 01:39 PM
WhiteRabbit.obj:
Airbrushing is fun I like to have a go now and again to keep the skills up, but no undo is a real pain.
I've never seen anyone airbrush in malls here in the UK so can't comment.

jeroentje:
Right, first size is approx 60x40cm.
The only part masked was the whole head to do the background.
The technique for the face is spray very thin coats of transparent acrylic ink and then you carve out the detail with various erasers. That's why there's no need to mask. There's a little touch up with coloured pencil.
The jacket is almost entirely coloured pencil.

Basicaly try this.
You need to spray on some sort of illustration board, something the can take scratching out, I use CS10 though it's getting hard to find these days.
Spray a thin coat of ink then try softly going over it with the sharp edged ink eraser, you'll find you can draw with it in reverse. For fine lines i.e. hair strands scratch out with a scalpal.

Probably not explained this very well so do ask questions.

jeroentje
02-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Cool, I'll see if I can find some old airbrushes I did back in Graphic Design school. I used to work pretty big, so I'll have a problem scanning them. I loved airbrushing but it took me too much time, specially when I discoverd the comforts of Photoshop ;)

Clanger
02-06-2003, 03:20 PM
jeroentje:

Wow, I've actually inspired someone to dig out the old airbrush.

As there's very little masking this method is very quick. The portrait above took less than 4 hours.

jeroentje
02-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Don't get me wrong Clanger: I will not start airbrushing again. I meant I'll try to find some old work I did 14 years ago ;)
Nah, I don't airbrush anymore. To much dirty hands (and ears and feet and where ever I found paint after airbrushing LOL)

Display
02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
First, let me tell ya...GREAT WOORRK!!!

Second, I love airbrush..I used to do illustration a few years ago with airbrush, and always had a special felling in it!

But like jeroentje said, pc's took is place..

My Badger/DeVilbiss are kind of a precious relics to me!

By the way, show some more

Cheers

kfc
02-07-2003, 05:24 PM
wow~!
i love it. it looks exactly like the photo.
i like the way u executed the hair. it's simply flawless~!

Clanger
02-07-2003, 06:55 PM
jeroentje:
Just re-read your post and I see now you meant dig the old stuff out to scan in, my mistake. I couldn't scan the pic in either so I just took a digital photo. I have a plugin for Photoshop that corrects lens distortion, it works very well.

Display:
My computer is always tied up rendering this or that so I try to have a real painting on the go in these down times.
At the moment I'm interested in Wildlife art and I'm trying to copy the style of Carl Brenders, anyone who knows his work will be thinking I must be mad, Carl's a genius.

kfc:
Thanks, I'm almost embarresed to say that using the scratching out the lines of the hair with a sharp edged eraser and scalpal technique make doing hair extremely simple.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.