PDA

View Full Version : How to retrieve total number of polygons externally?

nessus
10-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi, all

i have a task to make an audit of several hundreds of maya scenes in .ma format. one thing i need to do is to retrieve the total number of polygons in a given scene. i know that we can easily do this within maya, but since i have hundreds of them, open them one by one in maya is just not practical to do.

so i am hoping that since they are all in ascii format, there's got be a way that i can write a perl/python script to read these ma files and be able to figure out the number somehow? but since i am not familiar with maya ascii file, could someone point out where/what i should look for in those files?

thanks,

nessus
10-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I did some further reading on the maya ascii format from maya doc. it seems at this point it would be extremely difficult to count polys externally without opening maya, at least its just too much to do for an auditing job. in addition to that i was informed i also need to take UV screenshot of each geo, so i have will have to open them in maya 1 by 1 anyways.

but still wish it could be done without maya;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2006, 07:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.