PDA

View Full Version : Character concept: sword-girl

Blackarts
02-06-2003, 06:00 AM
A buddy of mine provided the linework, I dropped in some color. check it out...

http://members.shaw.ca/dmandryk/Assets/Images/portfolio%20images/girl_small.jpg

cerreto
02-06-2003, 06:03 AM
LOOKING good d Nice bootay !

Kirt
02-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Seriously ... it's all about girls with tight behinds and big swords, isn't it? :D

Nice illustration and good colors. I can't really find anything to comment on regarding the colors. But, I see a few things with the drawing that seem odd to me.

The hair style looks too "Chun-Li", which has probably been overdone way too much since Princess Lei sported the do back in 1978(?).

Her left arm looks funny and I think it's that ending cuff of her sleeve that's conflicting with the curve of the glove. It makes my brain go "ugh ... looking up or looking down?".

The straight horizontal line at the bottom of her feet ruins the illusion of 3rd dimension. I can't imagine she's too handy with those swords when she can't even walk in perspective. :shrug:

Soeren Nielsen
02-06-2003, 10:36 AM
nice image overall, but I second what Kirt said, and I would like to add that her left hand holding the sword looks weird at the hand.. the hand and the sword isnt aligned.. Its like the handle of the sword is going trough the thumb.

mattie
02-06-2003, 10:53 AM
awesome...... but i think that the boots or the feets looks a bit strange :P its something about it, or maybe its just me.

FallenSwordsman
02-06-2003, 11:46 AM
You're complaining about her hands and boots? I don't think my eyes wandered that far....too busy looking at other interesting things.

Good job!

Raul-Reznek
02-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Kick ass :D

i think the armor hangin over her ass is a bit off(just as concept) :D. but still kick ass :D

Maglok
02-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Oohhhhh pretty. :) :bounce:

PhilOsirus
02-06-2003, 12:51 PM
I need to figure out how to paint that way. I have a tablet and I just can't do it:/

Airflow
02-06-2003, 01:41 PM
velly vell nice mate........ love the line work..... but somthing bugs me about the perspective on the boots, I think its the heels, you cant see the undersole bit, but apat from that is brilliant.:bounce:

Lunatique
02-06-2003, 01:57 PM
The reason why the figure looks off is because her right shoulder is too far forward.

There are two ways to fix this:

1)Move her right shoulder back.

2)twist her upper torse more to her left so it's attached to her right shoulder.

ASCIISkull
02-06-2003, 02:47 PM
I agree with the feet comment, and the armor hanging off of her rear seems totally useless, unless the armorer was a sadist who only wanted to protect her fro msitting comfortably^_^ Also, the shrimp tail armor interferes(from this angle) with the sword's lines a bit.

Awesome coloring though, and it's a very nice drawing overall also.

ravdog
02-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey that's great work!

I'm interested in seeing the illustration before the colour... can we see it?

*thinks to myself* this is weird, it's like asking for a wireframe.

chow.

Blackarts
02-06-2003, 03:47 PM
hey lots of good comments, thanks.

I busted this out in one night, so there are some rough parts - I'll probly go back and try and fix those feet. =) What I don't want to do is change the original linework, I like the bold style of it, so I'll try to fix it with color.

Anyways, here is the original lines for a 'wireframe' look...

http://members.shaw.ca/dmandryk/Assets/Images/portfolio%20images/original_small.jpg

Neil
02-06-2003, 06:12 PM
yeah dude, very nice coloring, but i would rework the drawing itself. The perspectives just seems off.... the slope of the head is too far down, the eyes are too far apart, and the legs are huge! (not long, but just fat and big)
There si something wrong with her right arm (others have said left, but i always refer to it as the characters l/r, not the viewing l/r) If her chest is twisted liek that, then her R shoulder would need to be brought out more.

Galo
02-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Neil what are you talking about, that picture rocks okay....
a picture does not always have to folow the rules of perfection.

anyway, keep it this way i like the expression :thumbsup:

fnselmi
06-03-2003, 03:41 AM
Its okay to point out faults, if the better an artist, after all this is what we are here for....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.