PDA

View Full Version : When does AM stop being pro

koon69
02-06-2003, 02:31 AM
Ok over on the post Martins official response - Martin said that he knows AM is a beginners software -entry level-and that when users cant use AM for pro work-he understands why. My question to the pros out there-when does AM break down and people need to leave. Where is the wall? Does Martin mean when people cant - is it because of features? Workflow pipeline? Where does AM show its weakness and people beging to leave for Max-LW etc. Is AM great for the small 2-3 man studio? But sucks for larger scale movie type production? Just trying to fogure out why Martin is happy being the entry level app and then users leave for greener pastures. cant get how someone creative can accept this. I figure you push to be the best.

nerrazzi
02-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Where does AM show its weakness and people beging to leave for Max-LW etc. Is AM great for the small 2-3 man studio? But sucks for larger scale movie type production?

I'm going over to LW because the software has better particles, hair, and rendering speed, not to mention tons of plug-in's. I like modeling in A:M and will probably build most of my mechanical models in A:M then export them as a .DXF file for LW. But as for the rendering speed and quality of hi-res movies, A:M can't come close to LW's power. I've been trying out LW's demo before I make my purchase which leads me to the "flip side" of my last statement. Just starting out learning LW can bring you to your knee's when it comes to modeling (let alone) rigging your character. Each time I use LW it seems to get a bit easier, still some of the techniques used for modeling seem a little complex compared to making the same thing in A:M. I've been using A:M too much and need to get out more...:curious:

Commiekeebler
02-06-2003, 12:31 PM
koon69: AM teaches you patience and ingenuity like no other application. I, on average, find 1-3 new bugs per full day of work, which for an animator is what, 12-16 hours? (your mileage may vary of course)... you need patience to deal with crashes (I do 10 pushups when I crash, and 10 sit ups when a new bug is found). You need ingenuity to find ways around the bugs. Workaround central!

AM can be used just fine as long as you have unlimited reserves of both; but it really drops the ball when it's time for the final render. Black specs, transparency, antialiasing, booleans, and lets not forget creases - all of the above can't be good for your mental health.

dfaris
02-06-2003, 03:40 PM
When does AM stop being pro ?

Its never pro because of the company.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.