PDA

View Full Version : Lictor

Lupus D'Scotia
10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Something for my showreel, let's hope it helps me get a job hehe.

Done with it for now, though I'll touch up the hooves a bit later on. I was aiming at high-end specs such as unreal engine 3.

He'll be on some sort of base for the showreel, but I'll make that later. Currently moving onto the next character. Hope you like it :)

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7121/lictorfinalrender1composlowru2.jpg

High res:
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9519/lictorfinalrender1composhibhe7.jpg

Dennispls
10-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Nice work
but for some reason i think the diffuse is letting it down.
It looks too simple.
As if you just gave it a slight texture and let the normalmap do the rest.

ninjacore
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
i like this, you have got a nice piece for your reel here. You can obviously do the whole zbrush thingy and it certainly has a UT styling about it. for the hooves make them that same boney yellow color, but i guess that will be your idea anyway. dennispls mentioned the diffuse looking like youir letting the normal do most work. i would maybe agree with him on the grey ridged parts on his arms. maybe mess around with color there?

but a few more bits and peices like this, you should have a nice reel. :)

Rion411
10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Man that is one bad a** character! I agree that the hooves should be a boney color and maybe a bit more variation in the overall texture. Really awesome design.

Confracto
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
also noticing the hooves have a weird normal artifact on them, they don't look quite right.
otherwise it's a very well executed model, I like it.

Entomogant
10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Great model!
I love WH40k. Not exactly like the model (i know, i am very focused on the background ;-) ) but still impressive!
Want to animate it?

losb
11-01-2006, 12:06 AM
It looks great, I realy hope you get a job. Texture isn't my strongest side but I agree that the hooves should have a more boney color.

Slythis
11-01-2006, 10:38 AM
this is bad ass dude!, great texture work and great attention to detail as far as the character goes!

i wanna see more :)

LaughingBun
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
the model, and normal map version look awesome, but the diffuse is really detracting from the excellence of your other parts, unfortunatly i dont really know how you could fix that, Maybe use more saturated colors on the texture. I would just play with some of the curves, and saturation and things, then save out a new texture and just see if it looks any better.

Neil
11-01-2006, 07:07 PM
i don't think the diffuse is that bad, you can help it look better with adding more specularity to it to make the edges pop. Is self shadowing turned on? That'll help too.

rasmusW
11-03-2006, 09:30 AM
hey lupus!

really like the design of this character. especially like the head.
looking forward to see your next model.

-r

Lupus D'Scotia
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Cheers all. It's actually my second proper attempt at texturing, and first completed textured model hehe (I didn't finish texturing the first one). So it was a learning process, I learned a lot of photoshop and became quite comfortable with it (still much to learn though :)).

The spec map has been a bit odd in XSI, it doesn't seem to actually have much effect. I've tried drastic variations to the map itself, but the effect when rendering is pretty minimal. I'll fiddle with that again. And I'll mess around more with curves and saturation for the diffuse (as well as sort the hooves).

The character I'm working on now is very different, hopefully the result will be better hehe.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.