PDA

View Full Version : nearestPointOnMesh

xcomb
10-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi all!
I was wondering if there are examples or tutorials about either closetPointOnMesh or nearestPointOnMesh?
Thanks!

atzfratz
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
What do you want to do?
Just connect the OutMesh into the InMesh of the Node. Then connect whatever you want to check its nearest point on the Mesh into the InPosition and read out the results or Connect them in whatever suits you.

Hope that helps :)

xcomb
10-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok i am lost :(
I don't understand the use of this utility node, can you give me an example, what can i use it for?
Is it something that i can center my object to another object's centroid and have it's transform be driven by another object?
Or is it something that i can use like getting vertex position and snap my object onto them?
The maya doc does not explain what the usuage, or at least i couldn't get the sence of it to use.
Thanks!

DangerAhead
10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
you can use it to find the nearest vertex on a surface to any given point.

example of the kindo of info:
nearest/closest point on surface will return which vertice on surfaceX is closest to which vertice on surfaceY.

it's used in xyShrinkWrap.mel and fitVertices.mel on highend3d.com. check them out.

xcomb
10-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Yeah i got it, i've never had to use any of those, untill i got into mel programming :(
Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2006, 05:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.