PDA

View Full Version : Maya 8 browser gone

CaptainSam
10-24-2006, 02:28 AM
One thing that REALLY pisses me off about Maya 8 is that Alias removed the internal webBrowser. Yes, sure, they provided a plugin that gives you Maya support in FireFox or Internet Explorer instead. Thats great, really useful and a much better solution in a lot of cases, BUT that still doesnt explain why Alias just didnt add that as a new alternative feature, rather than removing the existing one alltogether.

There are many reasons why removing the webBrowser was a bad idea. First of all, there are many many cases where I want my HTML based GUI to appear inside Maya. People obviously prefer to have Maya take up the entire monitor, and even if you have a second one, that precious screen reel estate will most likely be taken up by the outLiner, graphEditor, scriptEditor and so on. So you're stuck with having to switch between Maya and the browser all the time, rather than having the web page, be it a GUI, a help page or anything else, appear in a window inside Maya that always stays on top of the modelPanels.

Im probably not the only one that has made character pickmaps for easily selecting controls on a character in HTML using imagemaps, which is a lot easier and quicker to do than with iconTextButtons and formLayouts. This obviously is something the animator wants to have available all the time - particluarly if you want to make different ones for each character. It needs to be small, meaning no stupid browser back and forward buttons, adress bar etc taking up space, and obviously needs to be easily accessible - floating on top of the viewPorts or docked to the channelBox are, not hidden behind Maya in a browser window.

Ive been developing a SQL/PHP based pipeline with various web pages for shotlists and stuff like that. The animators have access to a web site with all that info on, but I have also made a window in Mel that does stuff that is hard to implement on a web page wihout a serious amount of javaScript experience, like drag and drop behaviour, right click menus, dynamic loading of various info based on user selection and so on. Ive been using small web pages as part of that GUI. For example, selecting a sequence from a textScrollList loads a webpage with the shotList for that sequence in a tab somewhere else in the GUI. Of course i can throw away all that work now that Alias have decided to disable the internal webBrowser.

Id love to hear Alias' thinking behind yanking out an entire feature from Maya with no warning; not even keeping it for backwards compatibility. Im excited to see what perfectly working Mel commands that lots of users have implemented in their scripts will be removed in the next version of Maya.

If anyone feels like compiling that old IEforMaya plugin, please please please do so

Robert Bateman
10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Id love to hear Alias' thinking behind yanking out an entire feature from Maya with no warning; not even keeping it for backwards compatibility.

It wasn't alias who yanked the backwards compatibility, you might want to talk to Autodesk. They didn't just remove the web-browser, but also a lot of options from various commands to also break backwards compatbility....

nsimagine
10-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I totally agree with CaptainSam.

Autodesk is nuts for removing a feature that worked perfect for me.
Now with Maya 8 I can throw away my whole Character-Animation-Interface, that I have developed over 1.5 years(!!!) :-(

Whyyyy have they removed it!
Hopefully they will make a hotfix or a small update or some sort of bonustools and but it back in, soon!

Or maybe some good programmer here in the forum can write something similar or the same thing (inside Maya Webbrowser) for maya 8 as a plugin....

Switching between Maya and a HTML-Browser really sucks!!!

n-imagine

lithorus
10-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow, this sucks. I'm developing some XUL stuff which was supposed to get integrated into maya through the internal browser and I even hoped they would base it on firefox instead of the full blown mozilla. Instead they completely removed it :(

Mikademius
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
A strange way to show off their power, don't you think.... :p

CaptainSam
10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, as I said, theres that old IEforMaya plugin, which gives you Internet Explorer inside Maya on Windows. That old obsolete plugin suddenly became very useful again. Not something you see every day.

Theres an old thread at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=48102&highlight=ieformaya
about it. Unfortunately, the source code appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth, I could only find compiled versions at HighEnd3d and its gone from the SecretLevel websitem, but maybe someone has it lying around

goleafsgo
10-24-2006, 06:53 PM
It wasn't alias who yanked the backwards compatibility, you might want to talk to Autodesk. They didn't just remove the web-browser, but also a lot of options from various commands to also break backwards compatbility....
Can you share any specific options that have been removed?

thematt
10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
double post..

thematt
10-24-2006, 07:22 PM
that's what I call a very dumb move from autodesk, I'm not using the webbrowser that much, neither do I use maya 8 but I was in a production last year that was buid around it and worked particulary great, I always thought that i should implement some of the fonctionality, but never had time to.I guess now it doesn't matter.
Does autodesk realize that doing that is not helping people who are doing real production work, I like many of us am not playing around with maya at home but doing some serious work on the software, and I want all fonctionalities I can for every situation I might face, so why taking out a particulary useful fonction of maya replacing it by nothing? that's the stupidest thing i've heard today and god knows I've heard some dumb Sh$$$.
great job really, a chance I can now create my cube primitive "a la" max .:thumbsup:..

nsimagine
10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
The Source Code for the ieforMaya plugin can be found here:

http://www.secretlevel.com/downloads/Going%20Native%20Source.zip

It has to be compiled for Maya8.0
Does anyone of you guys know how to compile it for Maya8.0?
Would be nice if sb can do this and upload it somewhere....

n-imagine

Mikademius
10-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, what about the plug-in maya refers to herself?
Haven't tried it out, but now the helpfile for my modellingsuite is definateliy gone :)
Clever move Autodesk.

varomix
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
hi guys I started a post on the autodesk forums to ask for the internal browser to come back if u are kind enough come take a look and if u can sign the "petition"

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?forumID=201&threadID=515346 (http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?forumID=201&threadID=515346)

Rumors say that 8.5 is around the corner so if we all got togethet we might get it back

thenx

Mikademius
10-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice way to screw us over. First you take away something already implemented, make people pay to get version 8 where this feature is taken away, make them pay again to get it back withinn a .5 release :thumbsup:

CaptainSam
10-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Its even more funny when you consider that they implemented a new scriptEditor, with line numbers etc, but still kept the old one

thematt
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Its even more funny when you consider that they implemented a new scriptEditor, with line numbers etc, but still kept the old one

Sorry captainSam what exactly are ou talking about, haven't heard of a new script editor.
Anyway,I'll go sign up that petition, stil think it's a real shame to do that.

cheers

nessus
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
this is a major mistake they had made i would say. lots of tools/scripts out there depend on html/javascript/flash enabled mel gui's. because of we had to re-program our tools which depended on the internal browser.

speaking of the internal script editor, two things i would really like them to consider and i dont think its too much to implement anyways:
1. syntax highlighting
2. font change (i hate its default font).

then i will start coding in maya again.

CaptainSam
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
And another thing. The whole webbrowser plugin workflow breaks down once you have two instances of Maya running at once, which of course is pretty commmon. There are ways to fix this of course, but you basically will have to do some hack of Maya to have each running Maya session register itself to a demon, text file or database with the name of its commandPort, then have a script on your web page that gets the open commandPorts and builds a menu so the user can choose which Maya session to execute the command in.

The webbrowser plugin relies on the <body onload> event, and won't initialize at all if you have other scripts that use onload as well. I'm currently having a lot of trouble figuring that one out, - due to personal shortcomings in the javaScript department, of course - but I still think this is another example of what a colossal mistake Autodesk made in removing a tool that worked fine and replacing it with a half assed implementation of something that is a lot less useful that Ive never seen anyone ask for.

Speaking of the scriptEditor, why is it that it each tab is 7 characters, when 4 character tabs is standard in every language i know of. Just one of those things...

Mikademius
02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Soooo.... You're actually saying the DID NOT put it back in Maya 8.5? Sheesh... What the hell is going on?

animationrigs
02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Much of our entire site was dependent on the browser in maya. We've had to implement our own method for getting back some of the lost functionality and have had good success with the Firefox plug-in on PC. I actually think it's not a bad idea, let firefox do what firefox does best and let Maya do it's thing, but my concern is that they will drop the mcp plugin at some point in the future too...then what?

AND

It still doesn't work on Mac. At least, we have not been successful at getting it to work and so have had to find yet another "creative" work around for Mac. We have an open case with Autodesk on the Mac issue....I'll let you know how that goes. Funny because when I first opened the case "They" didn't even seem to know what the mcp plugin was. I had to tell them where to get it.

Even so, we have decided to go back to implementing our UI's in mel to be safe and not dependent on something that autodesk could drop at any time. In addition, as already mentioned it will run in the Maya Window so you don't have to have two apps running.

-btw I am pretty sure I saw the web Browser removed before Autodesk bought Alias (in one of the 8.0 beta releases)....dates are fuzzy, but maybe Autodesk didn't make this call.

nessus
02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Speaking of the scriptEditor, why is it that it each tab is 7 characters, when 4 character tabs is standard in every language i know of. Just one of those things...

its 7 char? i didnt even notice that... this is why i dont code in scripteditor if its more than 5 lines:D

animationrigs
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It still doesn't work on Mac. At least, we have not been successful at getting it to work and so have had to find yet another "creative" work around for Mac. We have an open case with Autodesk on the Mac issue....

Got word back from Autodesk on this issue. If you do the "Auto install' from the help menu and the use Safari instead of firefox the plugin seems to work. We'll be testing this and let you know if we find any issues.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.