PDA

View Full Version : rendering mattes from camera view

olli20
10-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Im just working on a project that requires some matte painting work to add backgrounds to the scenes.The matte should consist of 2 or 3 different layers that i paint in photoshop and map to geometry using maya.

so my questions are, what is a common shader setup here, i experimented using surface shaders with mapped "out color" and a mapped "out matte opacity", but I still get some black spilling when i render this out.

what is the technique in Photoshop to get the correct alpha channels to avoid this spilling?

is it right to render out the mattes in a 3d app once again, and what renderer would be used in maya?

im very happy for any help, shots must be ready very soon!haha

jussing
11-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Can't help you with Maya setup, but from a Max point of view, the trick is to save the image NOT premultiplied with the alpha.

A standard PNG will do that. Use the PNG's image data as color texture, and use the PNG's alpha as opacity.

- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2006, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.