PDA

View Full Version : curve point welding???

rightclick
10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi

Im trying to weld points in XSI 5.1 from 2 curves and am having some trouble doing what I thought would be a simple operation. Looking in the help files gave me no insight for curves, only polygons...

Any suggestions?

Sbowling
10-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi

Im trying to weld points in XSI 5.1 from 2 curves and am having some trouble doing what I thought would be a simple operation. Looking in the help files gave me no insight for curves, only polygons...

Any suggestions?

I don't think you can actually weld points on a curve, but you merge two curves into one. Search the help for merge and curve.

comanche
10-24-2006, 09:05 AM
If no curve is selected and you choose "Create > Curve > Merge" you'll have to follow these four steps in the picking session:

1. select first curve
2. select the point that should be used for merge
3. select the second curve
4. select the point ....

That's it. HTH

Andreas

rightclick
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
If no curve is selected and you choose "Create > Curve > Merge" you'll have to follow these four steps in the picking session:

1. select first curve
2. select the point that should be used for merge
3. select the second curve
4. select the point ....

Thanks comanche, that worked great for two endpoints, but what i was really trying to do was to join an endpoint of one spline to a middlepoint of another spline. Is there a way to do that?

What im trying to do is build a series of combined splines and extrude a half pipe shape along all of them together at once. Im not having much luck seaming one tube into another very cleanly, and thought extrude along a path was a better approach. Please let me know if there is a better way to approach this problem...

think of something like this (http://www.steamengine.com.au/steam/faq/simple/injector/lunkenheimer/pics/lunkenheimer-brass-injector-cutaway.jpg)(kinda) but without the interior fluff

comanche
10-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks comanche, that worked great for two endpoints, but what i was really trying to do was to join an endpoint of one spline to a middlepoint of another spline. Is there a way to do that?

No (as far as I know).

Give poly modeling (SDS) a try:
http://www.friendly-elf.de/comanche/branching.gif

1. take half of a low poly cylinder, duplicate and rotate 90
2. make diagonal cuts through the center with the knife tool (snapping on) and delete unnecessary polygons
3. break the parts and slightly move them away from the center
4. select all objects and merge them together (blending option on)
5. close the hole in the center by adding a polygon, now turn it into a subdivision surface
6. same as 5. (just a unique material)

The same technique should work fine with a "T" shape.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

rightclick
10-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Wow! Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :)

Im new to XSI (just switched from 5yrs 3dsmax) so Im still trying to figure out workflow...

If ide like to have an edge face along the outside edges, what do you think the best way to approach that would be? Extrude seems to give results in only one direction with merge on... Is there a way to extrude the outside edge loop to create the face? (the backside wont be shown, but I do have to link up half-sections with full pipes - as in a cut away - so i need the pipe wall to have a thickness...)

I guess I could start with full tubes and then deal with all the messy points and polygons when i use the above approach... what would you recommend ?

Thanks again

comanche
10-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Hi,

I would add thickness after the basic modeling is done. There's a script somewhere (maybe already in Netview - I can't have a look right now) to automatically add thickness. I guess you'll find it if you do search on cgtalk or xsibase.

You also can do it manually:

1. make a copy of the polygon object
2. invert the polygons on the copy
3. duplicate the polygons (a "0" extrusion)
4. apply the push operator on the duplicated polys to create thickness
5. merge the original and the copy to get the final object with thickness

Cheers,
Andreas

BTW: great artwork and animation on your website, John!

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2006, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.