PDA

View Full Version : cartoony TV rig ideas for feet etc??

benjii19
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Ok, I've been doing this for a while now, and this was originally going to be in an animation for a bief period of time but anyways. I've been looking at using a series of non linear deformers on the main TV. With a hair follicle attached to the top which helps for parent constraining the aerial to the TV case. So i can detach the areial if I want using a driven key or leave it attached to the TV and it will move in conjunction with deformations.

I was thinking of using a chain of 4 bones, with some controls constrained to them for the aerials, so that i can go ahead and animate them. Or maybe a bend deformer.

The reason I havent flown in ahead and decided to do this is to do with the feet of the TV as i think that I could maybe use them to help make it look more interesting. Originally I was just going to squash and stretch them as part of the tv group but the problem was due to an expression im using to help the squash affect the group it means that the feet move, and I think I'd want them locked to the floor while it squashed. But i would like them to move closer in when it stretched.

I also thought maybe an Ik leg kind of system using one bone could work to lock the feet in place, then I could have that attached to the main tv curve, so that for example if i move the tv side to side the base of the leg stays.

Im no rigger so i may be wanting too much, but I'd love to be able to make this work the best i can to make the animating it a pleasure

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this a little mroe fun to animate? I've posted a quick video of the TV just so you can see that its a cartoony looking thing so any ideas would be great and I might need an explanation or to be directed to some tuts.

TV (http://www.benhealy.com/TV.mov)

Thanks a lot (im using Maya 7.0)

- Antenna needs to detach and attach (this can be sorted using the rivet script, hair system or if I used bones within the TV)

- When the TV squashes and stretches im currently using an expression, so that when it scales to a squash in Y it expands in X and Z, and the opposite happens during a stretch.

- For the feet, I had an idea that the Tv might want to walk (well not walk but waddle) I have no idea other than setting up IK on two joints for eash foot. But then how would it work so that when I moved the tv down the feet squashed a little and when I moved it up they stretched??

- If I used bones upon the TV case could I use 3 joints so that I have control over top middle and bottom and how would squash or stretch be achieved with this setup. So far I've used non linear deformers, but the one thing that bugs me is If I make a change to my model and delete history then they dissapear.

the case should be able to squash and stretch, bend Left and Right forwards and back. Asking for a twist might be a bit much I expect.

- I plan on putting a simple morph of the tv screen shooting out (which I think i can manage quite easily)

I hope this is as clear as possible.

meljunky
10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
- Antenna needs to detach and attach (this can be sorted using the rivet script, hair system or if I used bones within the TV)
You could setup the antenna to be parent constraint between the TV Rig and a Control for the antenna only. That is not parented in the TV hierarchy.

- When the TV squashes and stretches im currently using an expression, so that when it scales to a squash in Y it expands in X and Z, and the opposite happens during a stretch.
You could setup a stretch spline IK on the character and setup up a expression/utility setup that would get the inverse of the scale in X and apply it to Y and Z.

- For the feet, I had an idea that the Tv might want to walk (well not walk but waddle) I have no idea other than setting up IK on two joints for eash foot. But then how would it work so that when I moved the tv down the feet squashed a little and when I moved it up they stretched??

I would do a stretchy IK that is based off the distance of the root of the leg to the control and make it so it can scale below 1. Normal leg/arm stretch stops at 1.0. That way when the TV moves down, the legs get smaller and the inverse scale would apply.

- If I used bones upon the TV case could I use 3 joints so that I have control over top middle and bottom and how would squash or stretch be achieved with this setup. So far I've used non linear deformers, but the one thing that bugs me is If I make a change to my model and delete history then they dissapear.

Stretchy splineIK would solve this problem. Have clusters on the curve that are parented to the control. If you use non-linear deformers for animating purposes then you can't delete the history.

the case should be able to squash and stretch, bend Left and Right forwards and back. Asking for a twist might be a bit much I expect.

Since the back has a splineIK that you could use the twist channel on the IK. I prefer to use the Advance Twist Controls on the IK since that would allow twist from the root and the top control.

I hope that help. I have a couple scripts on my website to do stretchy IK on the “back” and legs/arms (3 joints).

-Brian
www.meljunky.com

benjii19
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Cheers. Yeah i had managed the aerial attachment method with parent constraints.Because i was doing it directly to the mesh I needed to use a rivet script form highend.

The other stuff Im going to hopefully look into this weekend, I'll be back for advice I'm sure and I'll post up progress till its done hopefully.

BEn

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.