PDA

View Full Version : Skinning

ramdas
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Hello Friends, I am Abhishek From India .
I am in need of help for skinning. I am having problem in skinning Elbow and Knee. I want to have a proper deformation So suggest me nice tutorials or web sites on skinning.

Happy Diwali to all the World.

hibigibees
10-23-2006, 04:01 PM
hi,

I assume that you know skinning and you just need to know how to get a proper deformation on the shoulder, elbow areas of the mesh!
There are so many ways to get rid of improper deformation... I have shared some ideas which I have attempted..
1. adding additional joint(s) near the needed areas, smooth skinning then along with shoulder/elbow and setting setdriven keys/expressions on them for getting proper deformation !
2. Fixing volume fixes or deformation fixes using corrective blendshapes
3. Having influence shape's component driven deformation. Like adding a scaled sphere @ deltroid area ... Check out help documentation for adding shape components to drive a given shape node! The option is 'Add influence object'
4. using deformers like clusters/lattice/wire/sculpt etc which usually makes files heavy to navigate and reduces speed on the deformation while playblast/playback. I mean it depends on the usage and the machine on which its used, I try to avoid deformers to the max cause its another deformation layer apart from skinCluster..
5. If you are interested in buying some plugins for having super duper deformation then ck out the micheal comet's site for cgmuscle plugin. There are many other sites for buying plugins too..
6. etc.

If you really need some assistance in basic skinning- I use this thumb rule....(I assume that the rigging is done and then u come to skinning, atleast the basic version of the rig should be available for skinning to start)
After creating a skinCluster,
1. BLOCKING ALL components to one influence transform. I mean blocking which is nothing but selecting a set of verts/cv's and set paint weights too to 'Replace' with 1 as its value and hit flood button... In this case select all verts and block it to one transform such as the root...
2. BLOCKING 1 transform after another according to the joint/transform setup. Start from spine and finish blocking all the transforms.. Its like 1st pass...
3. Smoothening one joint's/transform's influence after another based on a sample animation on the transforms. Make sure we dont have volume lose during deformation ! Otherwise if you are attemting corrective blendshapes the setup might be painful. You can use ADD while painting weights too if needed... I generally use ADD and REPLACE only, i rarely use smooth cause of its own nature to mix up weights on the components
4. Make sure you have set the max influence limit to 3 or 4 .. or more if really required. Let the Normalize weights option be checked...
5. I dont usually hold weights unless its a facial rig where too many influences are involved in creating a deformation... You can try using david walden's skinning tool which is similar to maya's skinning tool, but has a lot of options in it...

hope this post helps... pls give ur rigging/skinning issues in specific and let me c if I can help you...

and BTW reg the tutorials,
ck out
1. http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ski02.html
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ski01.html
2. Digital Tutors Website www.digitaltutors.com
Goooooo gle the rest.....

sriram.

futurcraft
10-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Hey Sriram...!
Thanks a ton for the advice..!
Regards,
Nikhil.

ramdas
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Me too Thanks a lot

ashishdantu
10-27-2006, 01:45 PM
hi ,

sriram is gud at painting weights ! trust me ...hehehehe..

ok, if u r starting to get ur feet wet in this .. i'd highly recomend reading >> THIS THREAD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=88567)

then you can learn from the PRO > Ian Jones > his workflow for painting weights (http://shrtcww.com/journal/184/maya-workflows-overweighting)

hope these shud get u lots of *proven tips* to ease ur work..

anymore doubts, shout !
-cheers,

hibigibees
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
hi ashish,

thanks a lot ashish - kaa chav;
I am just 1.5 yrs old now and I still need to learn a lot of techniques in the ocean named maya...

the thread u recommended is cool...
Ian Jones has awesome production tips for painting weights and other stuff...

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2006, 01:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.