PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want a Hard Core Critique Thread? VOTE!

Rebeccak
10-22-2006, 05:15 PM
oDDity (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=365931) has suggested an area for Hard Core Critique. I have suggested that if there were to be such an area, it should be a Hard Core Critique thread, and not a subforum.

What do you guys think?

My concerns are the following:

-People who think they want hard core critique will get it, get burned, and leave the forum. I have zero desire to see this happening. I personally value everyone's efforts here and have no wish to see people exit the forum due to hurt feelings. I think that people can be told truthful things about their work in a polite way.

-There will be daily potential for flame wars I'll end up having to monitor. I'd rather be putting my energy into positive things like Workshops than negative things like policing the forum.

-I'm going to be the one people ask for hard core critique - and I'd rather focus energy on the Workshops, which help more people at once in a more positive way.

That being said, I think there is a need for more honest critique on the forums, as long as it is done in the right way.

-Only people who want hard core critique should post to this potential thread.

I'd like to know what you think. Please vote and post any feedback you have here to this thread. Thanks!

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

NR43
10-22-2006, 05:59 PM
If Hard Core Critique means my work being torn down to pieces, evoking frustration, anger, disappointment and other negative feelings instead of receiving encouraging and/or educative comments in a constructive form, I vote against.

The latter I receive already, which is why the anatomy forum is an interesting place as it is now. This doesn't mean I would leave cgtalk if there would be a HCC thread or forum. I would probably just not post my work there.

FateBringer
10-22-2006, 08:29 PM
i don't think any good would come from this, just hard feelings and people may stop posting alot of their work, which i really enjoy seeing even if it's not 100,000% perfect, is anyones?
my own work is far from perfect, maybe juust plain bad, but it's ok i enjoy doing it and if you can give me a nudge in he right direction that's great but if someone just feels a need to rip it apart no coment is needed just move on.

Mark

Rebeccak
10-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. :) Please keep the votes and comments coming. I pretty much think the thread is a no go, but I'm still interested to see if there's anyone in favor of it.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Rod Seffen
10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, my argument in favour is pretty much what I told Rebecca.

The point of having a hardcore critique area is to separate the hobbyists who just want to doodle, from the people who really want to be good.
Currently they're all lumped in together, and that's why it's hard to know what to say to who, or what sort of feedback peope are really after.
Thomasphoenix PMed me, and one of the things he said is 'I didn't critique your anatomy becasue I wasn't sure how you'd take it'
THat's the sort of thing I'm talking about, people are reticent about criticising, for fear of reprisals, or brusing egos, while in a hardcore area, anatomy critique would be implicit and expected.

If the forum/thread is clearly labeled harcore critique, then surely only people who wanted and can take such criticism, wihtout any irrelivant niceities will post their work in that forum.

I'm not suggesting that I'm the person do to the hardcore critiquing, but I'm certainly better than some and am pretty knowledgable and practically accomplished when it comes to zbrush sculpting and rendering of 3d models, which seems to be quite popular around here.
THe point is that you don't need some renowned expert, but people of a more or less equal level can still help each other out, and they can certainly help out new people who really want the straight truth about where they stand.
Of course, all criticisms, especially hardcore, should contain positive information about how something can be improved, not just a 'that sucks' comment, but I already do that.

And hey, no one would be forcing you to post you work in the hardcore section, so I'm not sure why you'd actually be against other people having a hardcore area if they really want their weaknesses pointed out with no idle sweetners attached.

Rebeccak
10-22-2006, 11:20 PM
EDIT:

Okay, I've been informed that a Hard Core Critique Forum has been tried before and it didn't work out. So my apologies to anyone who would have liked to see such a forum, but it's a no go.

Here's an alternate solution - for those who request it, I can amend their Sketchbook Titles to something like,

Sketchbook Thread of Username - Hardcore Critique Allowed

(or something).

What do you think?

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

SylvanMist
10-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, geeze...All I've ever wanted are some GOOD & HONEST critiques..it's so damn hard to get that around here!* I have to post at least twice, asking people for feedback. Now THAT is frustrating, and THAT is what almost makes me quit coming here-I just want to give up as what's the point in posting WIP's if no one replies when you ask for help?
I'd love for a hard core critique place to post at.

What should I do in this situation?

*Note, I am not talking about this anatomy forum specifically, but any forum on here. I have never posted any work in the anatomy forum.

Rebeccak
10-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, geeze...All I've ever wanted are some GOOD & HONEST critiques..it's so damn hard to get that around here!* I have to post at least twice, asking people for feedback. Now THAT is frustrating, and THAT is what almost makes me quit coming here-I just want to give up as what's the point in posting WIP's if no one replies when you ask for help?
I'd love for a hard core critique place to post at.

What should I do in this situation?

*Note, I am not talking about this anatomy forum specifically, but any forum on here. I have never posted any work in the anatomy forum.
Well, Roja, unfortunately, that is just part of the reality of forums - sometimes you get good feedback, sometimes you don't. We have a great community going on here, however, and you are welcome to create your own Personal Sketchbook Thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200

The key really to getting good feedback to your own work is giving good feedback to others who frequent the same forums. You get as much as you give around here. ;)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Shiroku
10-30-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm confident that can handle hard critiques. Some people I know are tough that most people can't bear them, so I know what it's going to be like. Do you just edit our Sketchthreads titles now, Rebeccak?

SirRon
11-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm totally for having some hard crits personally. But I understand if the HCC forum is a no go.

I like that alternative to add 'hardcore' on to the titles but I kinda think it's a hassle to change all those titles for whoever....

as an additional alternative what if we just added "Hardcore Critique Accepted" on to the actual image people put up instead of the title of the thread? That way it keeps a personal thread open with casual art and HC art. Otherwise people might have to keep two threads going, one casual and the other an HC thread, and add to forum clutter.

good idea, bad idea? :shrug:

Rist
11-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I would like one, it gives people a chance to tell me the truth about my work, and also a chance for me to truely see how to improve.

I would be utterly disappoint if this didnt go ahead.

If possible, change my thread into a hardcor crit one, so that my work can be viewed and analysed properly. I will add some work too to there (figurative of course :) )

sadunkal
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm not someone who often visits cgsociety(well..not everyday at least...) but as far as I'm concerned almost everyone here is trying to be soooo polite to each other that they have to become dishonest.It actually disturbed me to read exactly the same positive critics for both very low quality and very high quality works...Maybe I'm exaggerating but I remember feeling that way in the past...

I just noticed this:

"

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Critiques and responses to images are to be constructive and related to improving the quality of the artwork. "
It might be better if the 1st and the 4th lines of the forum rules could be exchanged.
Who am I kidding...it probably won't make a difference... but I still wanted to draw attention to it,since it symbolises exactly my point.As a person who doesn't mind to be insulted in any way(or complimented) -since I'm capable to empathize,accept and understand- I would prefer to live in world where everbody is honest about their feelings and thoughts.It would just make it easier to give the right decision about...everything...

Maybe just adding "Honest Critique Accepter" to a persons profile or sth. like that will work..? :)

But it's easy for me to say...I'm mostly an observer and I never post anything anyway :)
But I might begin in the future.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.