PDA

View Full Version : Batch Rendering without Cache

Savagemonkey
10-22-2006, 09:46 AM
First of all, this is more a rendering question, but since it falls in the category of rigging, I hope it's acceptable in this section.

I'm batch rendering an animation in Maya 6.5 using Mental Ray and it's taking a really long time to start up. The solvers involved are one hair system (a lot of follicles) and one cloth colver. I'm guessing that it has to run the simulations first and calculate the cache before it actually starts rendering. It's not necessarily a complex system, but the hair is tied down by a bandana object so it requires a collision oversample of like 6-8 to work correctly, so I know it would take a long time to calculate the cache. (Like a couple hours) Basically all I need is a confirmation on this. Is it just calculating the cache? I suppose if I leave it running all night I'll probably get my answer in the morning, but if someone could confirm it anyways that would be great.

And also a related question, if you're using 3D motion blur, does the same sort of process take place when you go to batch render? Does it actually have to calculate all the deformation geometry for the whole animation before it starts rendering each frame? I noticed that if I render single frames in Maya's render view with the motion blur on, it renders fairly quick but when I go to batch render it has a hangup similar to the scene that has the solvers running in it. Thanks for the help.

Savagemonkey
10-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Heh, looks like I answered my own question. Despite the fact that the render range was from 61 to 300, the cache was still being calculated from every previous frame upt to 61 since the hairsystem settings had a start frame of 1. Changing the solver start frame settings to the correct start frame number (in this case 61) eliminated the problem of the interminable cache calculation before the rendering actually started. Now it evaluates the solver solely for the frame it needs to render. Yay.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2006, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.