PDA

View Full Version : Textyre trouble

The-G-Man
10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I have an architectural model created in LightWave. To get it, correctly texture mapped, into Vue I've converted the model to 3DS format and import it. So far so good.
However, the textures 'break up' on the Vue render.

I normally render in LW at 1440 x 972 with no antialiasing, using a HDR image for illumination and then halving the resolution in Photoshop prior to DVD animation creation. It comes out fine and dandy for me and takes 8 minutes per frame. Which, for a 900 frame animation suits my small 20-machine renderfarm just fine while I sleep.

The Vue render at 1440 x 972 using 'Final' quality, with Global illumination, takes 42 minutes a frame and the textures break up as can be seen by the left-hand side on the enclosed graphic.

Any ideas how I can redress with texture quality / render speed factors in my favour?

LuciaK
10-22-2006, 08:37 AM
G-Man, the "Final" render setting is actually pretty low, especially with GI lighting, so I'm not surprised you're having issues with textures in your renders. At the very least I'd suggest using "Broadcast" or going in to "User" settings and tweaking so you can get the textures looking better.

The-G-Man
10-22-2006, 11:16 AM
G-Man, the "Final" render setting is actually pretty low, especially with GI lighting, so I'm not surprised you're having issues with textures in your renders. At the very least I'd suggest using "Broadcast" or going in to "User" settings and tweaking so you can get the textures looking better.

I understand that LuciaK. But using only 'Final' is already 34 minutes per frame longer than LightWave, roughly 4 times the render time. That's without adding any vegetation yet. Just the 3D model. There must be a way to improve on this.

Any hints/tips welcomed.

Mike.H
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
fire up user settings and tweak away, atleast with the infinite lineup youŽll have quite alot of things to tweak when it comes to the render settings to both up the quality and hopefully decrease your render times.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.