PDA

View Full Version : $5000 contest for artists announced.

GSullivan
10-21-2006, 09:09 AM
http://boards.shortproject.com/images/ForumsizedBanner.gif (http://www.shortproject.com/)

Hi Everyone, this week marked the official start of the Short Project, an experimental contest/production hybrid. We are currently looking for artists to enter the Character Design and Set Design phases, with cash prizes or $200 and $150 respectivly as well as several animation training DVDs and other prizes. Winning entries will be used in a festival bound animated short film.

I've seen a lot of the work that is done here and I know that some very talented people visit these pages. If you'd like to get involved, read the script or check out the entire list of prizes visit the site at http://www.shortproject.com (http://www.shortproject.com/). If you know anyone who'd be interested please let them know!

Later Phases of the Project include:

Story Boards
Modeling
Texturing
Layout
Lighting
Animation
The total prize pool stands just a bit above $5000 and is growing. I hope you will all take the time to check out the site, this is a great oppertunity to get involved in a very exciting project.

Thanks,
Greg Sullivan,
Director - The Short Project (http://www.shortproject.com/)

archerx
10-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Interesting Idea, but you site renders terribly in IE7

BishopLynx
10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I read that the rendering problem is something to do with IE7. A review on yahoo stated that a great number of pages render horribly while running just fine in IE6. food for thought.

GSullivan
10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
(Grumble grumble, Microsoft, Grumble Grumble, IE7!) It looks great in IE6 and it looks great in Firefox!

Anyway, I'll look into it, and thanks for taking a look!

EnlightenedPixel
10-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok, so youre paying people about $150, to create characters, create an animation, and create instructional DVD's which they most likely wont make any royalty money off of, but you most likely will.

This doesnt sound like a contest, this sounds like cheap labour. Very much like cheap labour.

GSullivan
10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I can see your confusion, EnlightenedPixel, but if you were to reread the post and the information at the site you'll see that we aren't MAKING training DVDs we are giving them away as prizes. And I'm not offering $150 for design and animation, I'm offering over $2000 cash, another $3000 in prizes and as much promotion for participating artists as is in my limited power to provide.

As to royalties, we are producing an animated short, a form of project that only makes money in the RAREST of instances. If somehow the final short does make money a royalty structure IS in place. Each Phase winner will get 5 points on the back end after recoup.

But this project is NOT about money, its about doing something fun and creative and allowing artists to get in on a completed project on talent alone with out concern for location, education, experience or any of that. On talent alone and with out having to create the whole thing them selves an artist can get a credit in a finished, festival bound short film. That's a rare thing.

Let me just say this, I will, before this is all said and done spend nearly $10,000 of my own money to create this project and there is almost NO chance that I will ever recoup that. Well over $3000 has already been spent and there are still many needs to be met that I am paying for or providing my self. I am paying for things like scoring, the web site, server space, mastering, the cash prizes, rendering, film prints, festival entry fees, premiere screening costs and God only knows what else before the end.

I hope you'll take the time to really look into the Project, if you do I think you'll find its not the negative, exploitive thing you seem to think it is and instead it is a very positive, friendly project with a lot to offer those who get involved.

Neil
10-21-2006, 07:58 PM
i don't think this is really NEWS, probably best for the collaborative section on here. Like you said, it's not about the money, but about working on the project.

adren@line
10-23-2006, 09:26 AM
nevermind.

SanjayChand
10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
You know , if you go to www.gnomon3d.com and email Kristin, Brian, or Pam with a notice, they can hang up flyers for your project around our school (which is a 3D school if you havent heard of it) and im sure youll get some people from there.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I can see your confusion, EnlightenedPixel, but if you were to reread the post and the information at the site you'll see that we aren't MAKING training DVDs we are giving them away as prizes. And I'm not offering $150 for design and animation, I'm offering over $2000 cash, another $3000 in prizes and as much promotion for participating artists as is in my limited power to provide.

As to royalties, we are producing an animated short, a form of project that only makes money in the RAREST of instances. If somehow the final short does make money a royalty structure IS in place. Each Phase winner will get 5 points on the back end after recoup.

But this project is NOT about money, its about doing something fun and creative and allowing artists to get in on a completed project on talent alone with out concern for location, education, experience or any of that. On talent alone and with out having to create the whole thing them selves an artist can get a credit in a finished, festival bound short film. That's a rare thing.

Let me just say this, I will, before this is all said and done spend nearly $10,000 of my own money to create this project and there is almost NO chance that I will ever recoup that. Well over $3000 has already been spent and there are still many needs to be met that I am paying for or providing my self. I am paying for things like scoring, the web site, server space, mastering, the cash prizes, rendering, film prints, festival entry fees, premiere screening costs and God only knows what else before the end.

I hope you'll take the time to really look into the Project, if you do I think you'll find its not the negative, exploitive thing you seem to think it is and instead it is a very positive, friendly project with a lot to offer those who get involved.

Hehe BURN! Maybe read posts properly next time pixel.

Sounds interesting, I'll be looking into it, specifically character design and storyboard.

GSullivan
10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, Squash-n-Stretch I wasn't tring to 'burn' anyone, but thanks. ;-) And just to be clear, the character design phase is going on NOW so dive in, we already have one entry and the bar for quality has been set pretty high, I'd love to see some more.

And aryaFX, its funny you should mention that because today Angela (my Production Coordinator) and I are trying to contact as many schools as we, we'll be sure to get a hold of Gnomon too. Thanks!

Als
10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
It's certainly great promotion for Mr. Sullivan,
and a bit missrepresenting what it is.
Something like please help me to finish my masterpiece,
and work free, and some of you might get some cash.
Forums are with 0 mails, which speaks volumes.
This picture speaks louders the words:
http://www.shortproject.com/web/guest/crew
There is no artwork or previous works done by director on the site,
which would be helpfull.
It is great idea for sure, and I'm certain it will make money.

Well good luck,
it's clear that this is hollywood production indeed!

Als

GSullivan
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow, appearently Als you are one of those people that look for the worst in everything and make the least pleasant possible conclusion. If your link to my crew page is meant to say something negative about me I can't imagine what it is except maybe that I'm a little goofy looking in that picture! :cry:

Anyway, there is no 'might' to some people getting prizes, there is already $2000 cash sitting in a seperate account waiting to be paid out and the other $3000 in prizes are coming from respected established companies. If you think this is a scam, don't get involved, we'll do fine without you.

Those who do get involved will have a lot of fun, will help make something we can all be proud of and will get some cool prizes. There's really nothing more sinister at play here. And OF COURSE I'm asking for help to create my 'Hollywood Masterpiece', I sure as hell can't do it alone! :p

Anyway, we are close to setting a deadline for the first two Phases, so feel free to hop over to the site and get involved!

Als
10-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, I was just trying to say that you are not lucking any skills of self promotion,
and you are not having any problems with self confidence.
And yes it clearly sounds like scam and very little art to me, since you don't miss to mention cash $$$ and more cash $$$ and prizes and prizes and $$$ cash and over $5000 prizes in cash and counting, plus picture of loads of money.
Thread is called $5000 contest, not "Great short project looking for fellow artists to participate".
Then most of the artists on this site earn more then $200 in a day or two.
If that doesn't look like scam I don't know what does.
I got this kind of e|mail every day, so that's why I'm a bit sceptical.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but then if you are trying to atract artists, then show on your website some great art work, and then you will atract artists to help you out.
Right now it looks like get lot's of cash web site...
So this is the impression you are giving with your site, and I was just trying to help by giving my opinion of this.
Anyway, I admire you for courage and bussiness skills, so good luck with your project.

Als

Wow, appearently Als you are one of those people that look for the worst in everything and make the least pleasant possible conclusion. If your link to my crew page is meant to say something negative about me I can't imagine what it is except maybe that I'm a little goofy looking in that picture! :cry:

Anyway, there is no 'might' to some people getting prizes, there is already $2000 cash sitting in a seperate account waiting to be paid out and the other $3000 in prizes are coming from respected established companies. If you think this is a scam, don't get involved, we'll do fine without you.

Those who do get involved will have a lot of fun, will help make something we can all be proud of and will get some cool prizes. There's really nothing more sinister at play here. And OF COURSE I'm asking for help to create my 'Hollywood Masterpiece', I sure as hell can't do it alone! :p

Anyway, we are close to setting a deadline for the first two Phases, so feel free to hop over to the site and get involved!

GSullivan
10-26-2006, 05:05 PM
You make a good point and I appreciate your concerns. The net is filled with scams and there isn't much art on the Short Project site... yet. But that's changing, there are already two really great artists who have chosen to get involved and their work is very cool.

Also, I wrote the script. Script writing is the art form I think I'm best at, and the script is available on the site for you to read.

I mention the money so often because its what sets this production apart from all the other contests on the web. But honestly, I'm just trying to have some fun and create a cool short. Hop over to the site, check out our forums (heck, I'd love to see you post these concerns there and get a dialogue on the subject started) and I think you'll see that this is just a fun project for people to have some fun with.

If you want to see more of my art, you can visit the (slightly outdated) artofsullivan.com site where there are plenty of examples of my work, though a lot of my most recent, and therefore best work isn't up yet.

Seriouslyy Als, give me a chance and you won't be disappointed, this is 100% legit.

GSullivan
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
A quick update. Since this announcment post the Short Project has had over 70 artists participate, over $1000 in cash prizes have been paid out, another $1000 in various other prizes have been delivered and the short film we are producing, 'Pocket Change' is coming along very very well. Right now we are looking for Story Board artists to take us to the next level, you can learn more at the site (www.shortproject.com (http://www.shortproject.com/)). Below are the character models by our Phase 4 winner Charles Woods based on designs by Phase 1 winner Alex Wohlrab.

Enjoy!

http://www.artofsullivan.com/images/ShortProjectCharacters2.jpg

Greg

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.