PDA

View Full Version : Sony may not meet lowered PlayStation 3 targets after all

havokzprodigy
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
"Launch supplies of the PlayStation 3 may be even tighter than expected, as Sony says that production issues may keep it from hitting its revised target of 2 million PS3 shipments by the end of the year. Last month, Sony cut its original target (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060906-7672.html) of 4 million PS3s this year in half, while pledging to meet its original 6 million target by the end of March 2007."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061020-8042.html

RuinedMessiah
10-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Looks like I'm camping out regardless of having a preorder or not. One thing is certain though, I'm glad I'll have a power source, a small screen for PS2, and a copy of FFXII ready to go when I line up.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-21-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm starting to feel bad for the poor bastards. What part of the SONY infrastructure is at fault here? Or were they all so smug that it was bound to happen?

I was going to wait and buy a PSP 1.5 with the second analogue stick that was rumoured to be in the works but now I reckon they have to spend so much effort keeping the PS3 afloat that that will never happen now :(

poly-phobic
10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Looks like I'm camping out regardless of having a preorder or not. One thing is certain though, I'm glad I'll have a power source, a small screen for PS2, and a copy of FFXII ready to go when I line up.

be sure to post pics to show how cool you look.

RuinedMessiah
10-21-2006, 12:35 AM
be sure to post pics to show how cool you look.

Whether I'm sitting in a line to buy a PS3 or I'm sitting in a line to buy Flogging Molly tickets, the last concept on my mind is looking cool. For the PS3 preorder line at the local EB, it was me, a bookbag, some homework, a DS Lite, a couple games, a copy of Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet and a sketchbook. The last thing on my mind while waiting was looking cool.

poly-phobic
10-21-2006, 01:24 AM
For the PS3 preorder line at the local EB, it was me, a bookbag, some homework, a DS Lite, a couple games, a copy of Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet and a sketchbook. The last thing on my mind while waiting was looking cool.
i dont think there was anyway possible for you to look cool. :)

i was being sarcastic man.

if i could get my hands on a PS3 @ launch, id probably ebay it the same hour and make me a profit. ive seen some ridiculous numbers on ebay

Tarrbot
10-21-2006, 03:39 AM
You might want to rethink that eBay strategy (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061015-7988.html).

It seems that eBay has put a slight kabosh on PS3 auctions--at least wanting a copy of your drivers license, a copy of a credit card statement or utility bill with an address on it, a receipt of the purchase and a written acknowledgement of eBay policies.

Go eBay! :eek:

RuinedMessiah
10-21-2006, 05:51 PM
You see, I can provide all that. There are two reasons why they are doing that and I agree with both.

Reason 1: Scammers. I have seen PS3 ebay auctions that claim they have a single PS3 and they are selling off chances to win that PS3. Problem? This is only mentioned in the last sentence and the starting bid is $599.99. The guy had six listed. From a legal standpoint he's allowed to do this because he hyped the system and mentioned the auction at the end. But it's still deceptive. Other things I've seen, selling the box it came in for $400, selling a Yahoo email acocunt called PS3consolesales@yahoo.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/PS3consolesales@yahoo.com) for $900, and my personal favorite, a limited edition drawing of a PS3 for $1000. Xbox 360 was plagued with this on Ebay and the recent PS3 preorder drop allowed all of the above to slip in.

Reason 2: Nobody knows for certain if unit supplies are going to be cut. Period. Just because you have a preorder doesn't mean you have a console and 360 launch was plagued with preorders that were shorted as well. Ebay wants to make sure the console is IN HAND and for that, I agree.

As for going through all the steps mentioned above... already did so. Except, of course, a picture of the console itself since I'm currently lacking in that department. The 360 affair was a madhouse and Ebay doesn't want the same thing occuring with PS3 and I can see why.

Neil
10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
This should apply to all auctions though. You shouldn't be able to deceive buyers.
Maybe you should be required to have a credit card on all accounts, that way you can be punished for your actions.

Layer01
10-22-2006, 05:41 AM
maybe its just me, but i couldn't care less about the ps3 at launch, and dont get me wrong i love my ps2, but its pretty much guarenteed that no good/must have games will be out for it untill at least a year. The dev times on all these next gen games are so long that the stuff we are getting excited about now wont be out for years.
take gears of war, touted as THE game for the 360 from the get go and its only just about to come out.
same goes for halo 3..etc etc
no, i'm more likely to buy a 360 on the ps3 launch day, not in some stupid protest over sony, but simply cause finally some decent games are coming out for the 360 and the price is also sane now.
then in a year or so when the good games start oozing out, the price is not astromical, and the hardware bugs are fixed i'll buy one.

vrf
10-22-2006, 03:17 PM
maybe its just me, but i couldn't care less about the ps3 at launch, and dont get me wrong i love my ps2, but its pretty much guarenteed that no good/must have games will be out for it untill at least a year.

Yeah, early adopters on consoles are really puzzling to me, especially when this particular round isn't that much of a leap. It's like $700 for a couple of rushed-to-market first-gen games.

But whatever. Blow you cash, Sonyboys. I'll look forward to your beta test results.

This gen FTW.

jtraveller
10-23-2006, 02:13 AM
welll, im buying a wii (to make company to my ps2) in, maybe, a couple of revisions of the hardware from now, i mean, no pressure over the capuccino, people, games doesnt rot or anything and i love to get a new console wich already have a huge library avaliable and all its first generation bugs fixed (remember that overheating on both xboxes?), also, prices are much lower after a few months.

and about sony... you know, the price, combined with some unfortunate comments from kutaragi among other things had cooled my ps3 enthusiasm, maybe (just maybe ;)) for good.

a copy of Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet.

isnt that a nice book indeed? hey, have you read american gods?

SheepFactory
10-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I will definitely buy a PS3 but not the first wave. It seems people didnt learn from the xbox 360 early adopters mistakes.

tozz
10-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Can't they just skip the first wave all together and go straight for the second? ;)

I'm probably gonna go for the 360 come christmas too (mostly because PS3 is delayed here) and get a PS3 next christmas. There will be too good games on both machines to miss out on.

Johny
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
ahahah ! ill be sure to pass with a camera to photograph all you fanboys awaiting for launch =)

RuinedMessiah
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
isnt that a nice book indeed? hey, have you read american gods?

I loved American Gods. I'm half-way through Good Omens right now so by the time the lines start up for the Toys R Us preorders, I'll either be onto Termerie (I think) trilogy (God I love SFBC omnibuses), or directly into Fragile Things. Or.. unfortunately, I'll be catching up with homework. Someone please remind me why I decided to take a class "for fun?"

Neil
10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, early adopters on consoles are really puzzling to me, especially when this particular round isn't that much of a leap. It's like $700 for a couple of rushed-to-market first-gen games.

But what about those awesome ps2 launch titles, like Bouncer and Fantavision ;)

Neil
10-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I will definitely buy a PS3 but not the first wave. It seems people didnt learn from the xbox 360 early adopters mistakes.

Speaking of which, has the overheating issues been resolved yet with the 360? Any word on whether any new rebuilds are coming out?

Kentaro
10-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Why come every time Sony makes an annoucement it's always to take back a previous promise. Come lauch day I think you guys might be lucky in getting just a controller

:bounce:

EnlightenedPixel
10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Why come every time Sony makes an annoucement it's always to take back a previous promise. Come lauch day I think you guys might be lucky in getting just a controller

:bounce:

Please stop creating Flame Bait posts, you already create enough Pro-Microsoft/Anti-Sony flaimbait threads on your own, you dont need to add it to other threads.

Also, its speculation that they 'may' not meet their projected outcome, but you act as if its some evil plot. Unlike most companies Sony actualy is opening up about a lot of their own shortcommings and people like you take advantage of it and claim that theyre somehow doing the consumer wrong. They're stating flat out that they are having problems, and its being dealt with. You couldnt ask for any other company to do the same half the time.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.