PDA

View Full Version : My very own cel-shaded egotrip ("showreel")

zSpaceAstronaut
10-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone! Im a self-tought swedish animator who's been sitting all by myself since january, experimenting with the anime-look, some new rigging ideas and hair dynamics instead of taking on new jobs. It all ended up as a presentation of myself...I'm not really that fascinated by my own person, I just thought I might as well package it as some kind of showreel/demo for getting work. It's 2.5 min, 13.5 Megs. Want to take a look? If you like it...Im looking for work, now! (Preferably in the Stockholm area...?)

http://www.christianpaulsson.com/showreel_still.jpg

http://www.christianpaulsson.com/html/christian_paulsson_showreel_201.html

revolutionzen
10-21-2006, 01:52 AM
its very simple yet very cool concept....i was smiling the whole time..why i dont know...lol...i just enojed your reel

som3d59
10-21-2006, 10:01 AM
sorry..I can't watch it. The quicktime just have question mark. :shrug:

mimo8
10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
hi christian,

I watched your reel two times because I felt attracted by the personal enthusiasm that you put in your project. Also the unique approach to present yourself, ads a personal flavour to your presentation.

still there are some major critiques that I see in it.
hopefully you shared your reel in here to get a frank feedback.

ok, here we go.
first of all I think you should not call it an animation reel.
Its more a 3D-gerealist reel, showin your skills the whole workflow of 3D and also compositing process.

then there is your main character, robolady.
she brings that cold and distant, a bit mystical "ghost in the shell" narator voice feeling.
good athmosphere in the begining. but then it gets long.
she is just too cool and static. with other words she is not appealing enough to carry the emotion through the whole flic ... damn hard task you tried there.
the whole animation of her body and face movements is floating, without weight and timing - sorry to say. but a whole lot of work would be needed there.

I like those black an white animations we see in the middle of the reel.
the film role is a very nice text animation. the walkcycle of the littel monster has not enough weight. the soldier looks pretty good.

conclusion:
I think you did the classic beginner mistake.
You asked too much.

The project you took apon you is just to big to handle.
Animation comes to life by taking time for the little details, time you lack when you are still learnig all those tools.

If you want to go animation, get some readymade rigs and dontt bother with those setup questions.
If you want to show your skills as a rigger and character TD then do something outstanding just in this section.
If you want to do the whole thing on your own, better make a concept for a very simple setup, that doesnt take up all your energy just to get it working, so you have some left to give it taste and flavour.

hope you can handle those crtis.
I just know what I am talking bout, realising my short story "out of the box" all on my own.

follow your dreams, team up with other enthusiats, find your strenghtes and focus on them, and as it is told in every demo-reel-101 "less is more"
good luck
m

OneSharpMarble
10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
This is the first time I have seen a reel like this. I commend you on going outside of the box. I liked it, it was interesting to have her telling me all about you.

The biggest problem with this reel is the animation, it's all very stiff and the way the reel is layed out it doesn't give you much chance to show anything off. The womans arms move very poorly, even if they are supposed to look like a robot.

som3d59
10-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, this is very cool and unique man! I love it. It shows you a lot as an artist and creative person. I also like the animation of the film reel. I don't know what kind of artist you want to be in the future, but for me I think you can be a director.

Good luck Christian :D

zSpaceAstronaut
10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks a lot to all of you for spending time with my creation and wonderful feedback. I really appreciate the lengthy critizism mimo8. Youre 100% right! You really do have to be a CGMessiah even to do just 2.5 min of animation with bravura, that is, if youre doing everything yourself, script, concept, model, rig, anim, post. No time for details. I'm going to specialize a lot more in one field and team up with others on future projects thats for sure (if not more people besides som3d59 will inflate my ego even further saying I'm suited for directing, then God knows where I'll end up:)).

See ya around

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2006, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.