PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating the Timecode

MrTinkertrain
10-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi!

I'm pretty new in the fields of compositing, and I am playing around with After Effects, and I have one question, how can I manipulate the numbers that show in the timecode to show whatever I want? to make this a little more clear, what I need is to put the timecode in lets say the 12 min of a movie clip, but I don't want it to show that time, for example I want it to show 20:03:00 (and start the count from there).

Well, thanks in advance and see you around

JP

JohnnyRandom
10-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Create a new text layer.

under the "source text" add the expression:

timeToTimecode(t = time +1200.00+ thisComp.displayStartTime, timecodeBase = 30, isDuration = false)

This is a standard global expression with the addition of 1200.00 (represents seconds - .00 represents 100ths of seconds - IE .50 = 15 frames) which would equate to 20 minutes, change the number between the plus signs to adjust your start time.

Mylenium
10-20-2006, 05:27 AM
Hi!

I'm pretty new in the fields of compositing, and I am playing around with After Effects, and I have one question, how can I manipulate the numbers that show in the timecode to show whatever I want? to make this a little more clear, what I need is to put the timecode in lets say the 12 min of a movie clip, but I don't want it to show that time, for example I want it to show 20:03:00 (and start the count from there).

Well, thanks in advance and see you around

JP

In addition to what JohnnyRandom suggested, you can adjust the start timcode of each composition individually, which in your case may be sufficient without needing to add an extra helper layer just for that.

Mylenium

MrTinkertrain
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try this as soon as I get home.

MrTinkertrain
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi again, I tried that expression, but when I put it the program says that that expression doesn't exist... so I don't really know what to do, to be honest I didn't even knew there were expressions capabilities in After Effects, so maybe there´s something I´m skipping or I should know... any help would be great thanks...

JohnnyRandom
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
To add an expression, click on the attribute you wish to add the expression too (highlighting it). Next go to the animation menu>add expression. This will give you a text field in the timeline area next to the attribute, this is where you'll enter the above expression.

There are same really amazing things you can do with expressions even just simple ones, take a look at the manual to see all the different expressions and there functions.:)

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.