PDA

View Full Version : Environment Artist/Junior Artist question

artraider
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Hello, I am posting to ask what amount of content do you need on a portfolio website before you should consider even applying to a company to be a Environment Artist or Junior texture artist? I have heard 3 or 4 full rooms would be enough but I thought I would ask here. I have also been sugested to try to do Art tests but outside of company websites where would you find those?

DooFi
10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd say that depends on how the rooms look and in how few time you are able to create them^^ Of course as much variety as possible is a big plus. If all environments look the same that'd be pretty bland.

artraider
10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
as far as looking the same, I heard that can show you are in for a project for the long haul.

pruvaloo
10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree with DooFi, a portfolio of say 4 rooms would be pretty boring, it wouldn't really show much variation, and I don't think it would showcase your skills very well either. There's only so much you can do with a room...

However, if you had a portfolio with say a room, and then a jungle, and then a desert, and then a moon base, I think it would not only be more interesting - remember the people looking at your portfolio are human too, if you have a boring looking portfolio just full of rooms chances are they will leave pretty quick, whereas lots of different environments will be more likely to keep them intersted in seeing your work.

Not only that, but it gives you a chance to show the whole range of skills, the example the jungle would showcase a lot of plants/trees/foliage, the room maybe some realistic props etc.

As for being able to stick with a project for the long haul, I think really this is expected of an artist, I mean games take years to make, so the company will expect you to be able to work on the same project for a long time - this is even truer given that the 'next gen' games are becoming even bigger and more complex (ie take a lot longer to make)

So, to summerise, I would say have as much variety as you can, and also concentrate on quality. Having only 4 pieces in your portfolio is fine so long as they are all kick ass pieces ;)

Gamedev
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Not to take the otherside on this, but if you know the company you want to work for shoot for thier style. You wouldnt send the same work to Blizzard as you would to Valve. Don't bore them with a style they will never do. Do the guesswork for them. Will this candidate fit in? Yes, cause your work matches there style and the games they have done previously. As well, I think you can still show variation / versitility and skill in one style. Model lots of different props, high and low rez.

As far as quality, dont apply unless you stuff is as good or better than what they are cranking out now. Yes there is some flex on that if you apply for an associate / junior position, but be honest with yourself as to how your work stacks up.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.