PDA

View Full Version : arch-vis Interior finals

Ernest Burden
10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't usually do spaces like this, its a small catering hall. But it was for a regular client, so it was better to do the project then turn it down. It's odd that they chose to show it without the swarm of tables that would be here when they have a function, but this is what they wanted to show.

I used a lot of C4D's material and rendering options in these. I've got the two-way mirrors, great noises, SPD surface (the backbar) , gradients in lights, UV mapping for faking the cove lighting... so that's why I thought I would post it here. Besides the annoyingly long rendertimes, AR served me well on these.

http://www.oreally.com/temp/Tpl-DR-cgt.jpg

http://www.oreally.com/temp/Tpl-BAR-cgt.jpg

I hope you enjoy them, simple as they are.

benytone
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
What's up? Paris Hilton's new party room?
Nice lighting .:thumbsup:

jddog
10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I found you have here a very interesting results on the renders. I like it.
A bit strange the light distribution and some shadows circles area on flor (both images). I can understand that's look normal or real, bit it disturb me a bit in the nice uniform colors and render that you have here.

Really congratulations on the materials works: :surprised wow excellents ! I'm very curious to understand how your reach so nice results on the bar materials. You say AR... no some use of Sketch and toon too ?

Bravo!

Julien

Ernest Burden
10-19-2006, 06:35 PM
What's up? Paris Hilton's new party room?

I doubt it, its a wedding reception hall attached to a Jewish Temple on Long Island. Not her usual haunt.

A bit strange the light distribution and some shadows circles area on flor (both images).

Before the final I had more even lighting, but the designer thought it looked too bright, stressed that the space would be really DARK, so I had to make puddles of light, thus also having puddles of dark on the floor.

how your reach so nice results on the bar materials. You say AR... no some use of Sketch and toon too ?

No S&T, though I do add linework in Photoshop which I make from various renders of the model, so you're partly right. Which bar materials?

I probably should have done this to start, but didn't want to spoil the impression of my delivered final. But this is what gets spit out of AR:

http://www.oreally.com/temp/Tpl-BAR-RAWcgt.jpg

I pump it up in Photoshop.

georgedrakakis
10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
hey ernest,
i love your work!!
it's amazing!
i think the c4d straight output is much better than the pshop one, looks more natural to me, especially the lighting on the carpet.

btw, the ornament above the bar, is a vast group of leds, or optic fibers?
nice idea, and futher more nice presentation of the idea.

nycL45
10-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Let me guess: this catering hall is on Jericho Turnpike/Route 25 in Jericho, NY. There have been lots of over-the-top catering halls out that way. Some have exteriors that look like Bachnal's or Plato's Retreat.

V-i-b-r-a-n-t! I had to go back to your site to check out your work again because this looked like a departure. Not totally so. In ways, some of your commissions are not too dissimilar from the catering hall. I was thinking that this was a real work out for you but again, your past work includes some really ambitious efforts. More so than this. Very nice modeling job. The color does not seem to be to the same orchestrated and refined level as some of your earlier projects. And so, this not one of my favs. It sounds like the designer had a large involvement in decisions.

I have to agree with the floor shadow comment above and found the odd splash of light on the bar back wall strange without being able to see the source. Question: is the large somewhat transparent object that breaks the incredible frieze a grille with an exhaust hood? It looks like it is behind thick glass or acrylic.

Lastly and OT, revisiting your site reminded me that about three years ago I had downloaded a rendering tutorial you did. I found it in my files: "Producing a Digital/Watercolor Hybrid Architectural Rendering". Very well written, I recommend it to all. Thanks for that share.

georgedrakakis
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Lastly and OT, revisiting your site reminded me that about three years ago I had downloaded a rendering tutorial you did. I found it in my files: "Producing a Digital/Watercolor Hybrid Architectural Rendering". Very well written, I recommend it to all. Thanks for that share.
hey nycL45, (or ernest) is it possible to share the tutorial again?
if ernest doesn't mind.
i checked ernest's site and i didn't found a tut-link, just amazing stuff

ps: acmedigital is a must-to-see for architectural renderings

cheers,
george

Ernest Burden
10-20-2006, 01:31 PM
hey nycL45, (or ernest) is it possible to share the tutorial again?

Sure. The tutorial shows how I used to work many years ago, but is still useful as far as combining digital and hand-painted goes. About three years ago I decided to make all of my commercial work digital.

So for whatever it might be of use, here it is:

http://acmedigital.com/tutorial/tutorialLS-WC.html

Ernest Burden
10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
i think the c4d straight output is much better than the pshop one

I was afraid of that. I've built a reputation for producing work that doesn't look like I hit render, then send. Maybe I overdid it here, but the client was happy with I delivered.

the ornament above the bar, is a vast group of leds, or optic fibers?

Nothing that fancy, its a sheet of perforated metal, backlit. The designer sent me a photo of a piece of moulding to base the dots on and I made a black and white map and just used it as a lum. channel. In reality there would be some variation to the thing, but the design intent is more what's n the rendering.

The color does not seem to be to the same orchestrated and refined level as some of your earlier projects. And so, this not one of my favs.

I can't say its one of my faves, either, but because it uses so many different AR tools I thought to post it for that reason.

is the large somewhat transparent object that breaks the incredible frieze a grille with an exhaust hood? It looks like it is behind thick glass or acrylic.

Yes. There's a fire, and the glass has water running down on the inside surface. Fire, water--brings to mind marriage? Do you want the chicken or the fish?

nycL45
10-20-2006, 02:02 PM
ps: acmedigital is a must-to-see for architectural renderings

cheers,
george

Do not miss the "traditional media" section link down the page. Check that out. It is really nice work.

georgedrakakis
10-20-2006, 04:49 PM
tnx for the link ernest, it's really helpfull.
i usually copy the original and change the normal mode to soft light or something like that ( it gives a-sort-of-painted look), while playing with oppacity.
btw, i think sketchup could be very handy for you, cause it's easy to create hand-drawing lines jagged or not with ease, not to mention the fast and precise modelling tools, that are missing from c4d.

Nothing that fancy, its a sheet of perforated metal, backlit. The designer sent me a photo of a piece of moulding to base the dots on and I made a black and white map and just used it as a lum. channel. In reality there would be some variation to the thing, but the design intent is more what's n the rendering.
i am looking forward to see some pics of the real place.
we did a proposal of a similar construction with perforated (lazer cut) sheet metal backlit with coloured projectors and the results were awesome.

lllab
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
this is a very nice tutorial Earnest.

it shows you really know what you do and are no "slave" of cg like so many others...

cheers
stefan

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.