PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft officially releases IE7 (ZDNET)

UrbanFuturistic
10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Some 18 months after Bill Gates pledged to revamp Internet Explorer (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5577263.html?tag=nl), Microsoft is ready with the final version of Internet Explorer 7. The new Web browser, which has been in testing for months (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6089370.html?tag=nl), is now available for download (http://dw.com.com/redir?destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fwindows%2Fie%2Fdownloads%2Fdefault.mspx&siteId=22&oId=2100-9588-6127277&ontId=9588&lop=nl.ex) from Microsoft's Web site.(more (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6127277.html))

I'll be testing that later I think.

EDIT:Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/). Oh well, never mind.

Charkins
10-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Firefox. I actually don't care to give the new IE a chance...

cazz1
10-19-2006, 03:35 PM

:thumbsup:

me too

havokzprodigy
10-19-2006, 03:39 PM

:thumbsup:

me too

Thanks for the informative input on IE 7.

poly-phobic
10-19-2006, 03:41 PM

yea, why do u even have to post.

i wonder if IE was exactly like FF, would you still post this, just because its a MS product.

RuinedMessiah
10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
A browser is a browser is a browser. Tried Firefox, didn't find enough worth the effort to switch from my default browser. If IE is upgraded, hooray. Likely, I'll be pestered forever until I finally download the upgrade.

UrbanFuturistic
10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Well, it supports PNG transparency so I don't have to worry about my avatar looking like monkeys' doings. There is also the minor point that some websites still don't work properly on other browsers. That they're obviously designed by incompetents is besides the point.

On which point, every web designer in the world wants you to upgrade as IE7 is much more standards compliant.

pixelmonk
10-19-2006, 04:01 PM
A browser is a browser is a browser. Tried Firefox, didn't find enough worth the effort to switch from my default browser. If IE is upgraded, hooray. Likely, I'll be pestered forever until I finally download the upgrade.

I didn't care much for Firefox, and in fact, it screwed up my system a bit and crashed often, till I uninstalled it. I'm definitely happier now.

havokzprodigy
10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah I have this weird problem with needing the websites I veiw to actually work.

paintbox
10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Downloaded it this morning. First impressions :

- Renders as fast (read:slower than FF) as IE6 (I am on a Core2 Duo with 2Gb)
- TABS!
- RSS Feeds have a prominent place.
- Looks clean in style.
- Websites I made, or others, render the same. A good thing.
- Tries to appear safe (Phishing warnings, Security dialogs etc.)

So it is a good thing. I havent looked into the webstandard compliancy. Anyone got a good link on that for webdevelopers?

mech7
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
In terms of webstandards it does support CSS 2 better.. but it is far from perfect, firefox and especially Opera handle these things allot better... this is porbably because microsoft has like an 8 year old gap to fill where they pretty much have pissed off every webdeveloper around.

Anyway still i am glad they finally have done something on IE as there are allot of non techie people which will get this release through automatic update and who knows.. maybe when the majority of people will have this installed we can finally use transparent png's and don't need IE hacks anymore :shrug:

Saurus
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I been using IE7 for awhile. Less pop up and less (a few second) system freeze like firefox. My only issue is the floating text search...I like firefox where it's place in the bottom bar. Other than that, I'm sold on IE7.

Neil
10-19-2006, 05:52 PM

You're missing the point, the majority of surfers still use IE and hence web developers need to conform to it. With every update, it always changes something in their CSS output or layout or something. This might not matter to you being an end user, but for all the other professionals who do it for their life, it's more than a shrug of the shoulders.

Spin99
10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
It's weird, what's going on with Microsoft?
Vista and ie7 seem to me as less of an evolution and more of a debatable upgrade.
An OS with bad OpenGL support and upgrades that are slower than previous versions.

I remember when I did some programming for them, and things just kept getting better :)
I hope they don't get succeeded (?)
Notice how people like Apple and Redhat are waiting on the sidelines..
Are they going to pounce?

Tak Tak
10-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Is there any kind of Mouse Gesture function on IE7? It's fantastic function specially when using tablet pen.

Like this one on Opera.
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/mouse/

Fredl
10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm not so concerned about the usability of any browser.

What I care about is open standards. The internet should be built on open standards, and not controlled by any single company.

What I don't like about Internet Explorer is that it doesn't support open standards as well as the other browsers do (like Firefox, Opera, KDE, Safari etc etc).

For this reason, I recommend that people use the alternate browsers, and not IE.

-----

And how's Google going to fare in all this? Suddenly, IE7 is pushing people towards Microsoft's own search engine. Yes, it can be overridden, but it's not easy for the novice user to do.

-----

And what about security? It seems they've done nothing to make IE7 any more secure than the previously flawed IE6. Already, only hours after the release of IE7, the first reports emerging of security holes in the new browser.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/19/ie7/index.php

Saurus
10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Is there any kind of Mouse Gesture function on IE7? It's fantastic function specially when using tablet pen.

Like this one on Opera.
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/mouse/

IE7 doesn't, but Vista does....the list is not as big. Vista has a new bunch of Tablet PC features.

private
10-20-2006, 04:21 AM
I hate it. I tried to make it look like IE 6 and it just doesn't. Not very customizable at all. Try and move the File,Edit,View, Favorites etc menu bar to the top...you can't. You're stuck with the left and right arrows. Try and adjust the address bar to make it smaller. You can't. Try to move the search box out of the upper right corner...you can't.

Why on earth would IE6 be more customizable that IE7? Someone forget to enable the customize and lock toolbar buttons?

Jensen
10-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I <3 firefox, but it's such a hog on the memory. If Internet Explorer offered the user plugins and the same functionality as Firefox, I'd switch.

yann22
10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
If you want more customization options / bells n whistles , just run a frontend like Avant Browser or Maxthon. I've been using Avant for ages now and while it has a few quirks, it's
very good (n.b. it doesn't contain spy/adware as some have suggested, if you're concerned check their forums).

hiphopcr
10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm no expert, but the only reason I prefer IE7 over Firefox is that the tabs have that little "X" you click to close them, and that little "mini tab" that you click to open a new tab.

rock
10-21-2006, 02:08 AM
It seems the font inside is not as sharp as IE6 or Mozilla 2. Does anyone see the same problem?

Thanks.

rock
10-21-2006, 02:14 AM
I found why the font is so - you have to disable the cleartype for html in the IE7 option.

AlexC
10-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm no expert, but the only reason I prefer IE7 over Firefox is that the tabs have that little "X" you click to close them, and that little "mini tab" that you click to open a new tab.

FireFox 2 has the X on every tab ( you can change it not to ) and should be released soon I hope!

Anyway, I havn't tried IE7 and never will - unless I have to use it somewhere other than home. Fact is even if IE7 is more compliant to standards, Microsoft have still pissed off a lot of Web Developers. Just because IE7 is more compliant does _not_ make Web Developers life's easier as many many many people will still be running older versions of IE and so Web Developers are still stuck with the nightmare of coding for IE < 7. Thanks a lot Microsoft. :twisted:

paintbox
10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
FireFox 2 has the X on every tab ( you can change it not to ) and should be released soon I hope!

Anyway, I havn't tried IE7 and never will - unless I have to use it somewhere other than home. Fact is even if IE7 is more compliant to standards, Microsoft have still pissed off a lot of Web Developers. Just because IE7 is more compliant does _not_ make Web Developers life's easier as many many many people will still be running older versions of IE and so Web Developers are still stuck with the nightmare of coding for IE < 7. Thanks a lot Microsoft. :twisted:

Not entirely true, because MS will deploy IE7 with Automatic Updates. Its says so in the webdev part of the site, and it will be in phases ending first quarter of 2007. Which seems pretty quick. If this is true, then probably 90% of IE6 users will be migrated to IE7 early 2007.

There is a IE7 readiness toolkit, with good, to the point information for webdevelopers.

However, I haven't switched. I like FF better, and I am looking forward to FF2.

AlexC
10-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Paintbox, AFAIK Microsoft aren't allowed to add IE7 to their Automatic Updates but they are allowed to add it as an Optional Update. So unless users actually select IE7 for update, they will not get it.

Kai01W
10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
There is an extension ("Tab X") that will add this to Firefox. You can also customize your toolbar to have an "add tab" button (if you don't like to hit "ctrl-t").
I also like "Colourful Tabs" which adds a different color to every tab. Which seems to give me a better overview. There are really so many extensions for firefox. Its really worth going to
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/
and just browse through the stuff.

I tried IE7 and it looks quite good. For "political" reasons I gonna stay with firefox though.

-k

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.