PDA

View Full Version : MAX8-RealFlow 4 issues - cannot export SD file

cheerfulskeptic
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Hello All,
I have a simple scene where a car drives by and drives through a pothole. I used new plugins Vehicle simulator and got a nice scene with the proper suspension actions, etc. when the car hits the pothole. I tried to export the pothole and the tire that hits it into Realflow 4 (Have all the correct plugins for Max8-RF4 installed, and export the SD file using the Scene Data Saver. I get nothing when i import the scene into realflow. I even tried to import a simple bouncing ball that I saved out in Max into an SD file, and get a blank import. Basically importing an animation doesnt work in the SD saver. I tried it with Maya, baked the keyframes, and it worked perfectly. Is there something I'm not doing in Max that's creating this problem?
For example for the bouncing ball:
add key at frame 0, move it down to the ground at frame 20, set a key, then back up at 40. A simple animation, but it doesnt load in RF. I'm using real world units in Max (US feet/decimal inches), and my geometry is an editable mesh (triangulated).
Is there something in Max like baking keys, or any kind of process you need to follow before putting the SD file into RF?
Thanks in advance!

Ls3D
10-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Does RF4 specifically support Max8? I've got a RF3 license and Max 8, working fine (with bugs/limits). Maybe you should try the RF3 plugins because the RF4 FAQ indicates 4 can read 3.

-Shea

BTW - I am participating in a unofficial RF forum here (http://www.trebre.com/realflow/index.php).

2. Are RF4 plug-ins compatible with RF3? The answer is no. RF4 plug-ins can read information coming from RF3, but RF3 can't read information coming from RF4 plug-ins. If by any chance you need the old RF3 plug-ins contact us at support@nextlimit.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/support@nextlimit.com)

P.S. You might contact this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=407361) guy too, his post says he fixed it.

cheerfulskeptic
10-20-2006, 06:31 AM
thanks, but the other post was maya related. I have no problems whatsoever using maya characters/objects, and exporting them into SD to bring into realflow. Yes, the plugin for RF4 is for Max 8.....
the Maya SD export plugin for RF has a checkbox which specifies deformations I believe, you usually bake the keys using Maya's 'bake keys' function, and then you export the animation. I dont get any such options at all with the SD saver plugin for Max :(

Ls3D
10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Yes the options are limited, but note I have exported bipeds and other complex transfroms (cloth sims, etc) with good success. Basically if the object is in the list and deforms it should translate into .SD, which is basically a vertex animation cache.

I'd still try using the version 3 plugins if you are having trouble with somthing as simple as a bouncing ball.

BTW - Rigid body dynamics have scale issues comming back into max, that is using RF3 - I hope they fixed that for you.

-Shea

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.