PDA

View Full Version : joshua herrig | VFS visual effects showreel

dutchtilt
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Hello everyone,
I hope you find my 2006 showreel entertaining~
It was a 6 month production schedule for these 4 projects. They are based on the emotional pitch of a commercial. I used Maya, XSI, RealFlow, After Effects and PS mainly.

I had 5.1 dolby digital sound designed and performed by Jeremy Bowker (new member of Skywalker Sound), so please download the hi-res version and enjoy! (additional music by Ann-Kristin Knubben and Amina)

I want to thank some fellow work-aholics: Visual Effects Sup-Al Macleod, all of Fifty-Nine and the Dutch Tilt Boys~

Please right-click, Save Target As (720x486):: http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/hires.mov

or If you have QT7 and want a smaller download...

Please right-click, Save Target As (720x486):: http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/h264hires.mov

or If you have QT7 and want a smaller download...

Please right-click, Save Target As (400x270):: http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/h264lores.mov

http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/1.gif

http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/2.gif

http://www.dutchtilt.com/jrh/3.gif

yuta_vfx
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
hey man, this is crazy amount of work in 6 month...nice work

I liked whole atmosphere with your clock.
This is interesting that looks not student reel. You know, kind of like montage of ypur skill. This is cool. I can see your skill set !!

Nice work man,

BGLooney
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Nice work man. Excellent integration of a really good idea. Really Nice lighting throughout!
I look forward to your next post.

Nick Smalley
10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
dutchtilt,

Really nice work. I love the water sims that you've done, they must have been tricky?
I love the "macro" feel on some of the shots of the clock, nice lighting and texturing.
Over all good integration. I didin't realise some of the CG objects until i saw the breakdowns.

My favourite piece is the above ocean scene. Got some great atmospherics, and a nice mood to it. That piano piece especially adds to it.

Thats a lot of work!

Hope to see more stuff from you in the future!

FloydBishop
10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Very nice reel.

I hope you don't mind, but I mentioned you on the Channel Frederator blog: http://www.frederatorblogs.com/post/2447

dutchtilt
10-19-2006, 09:29 PM
thanks all, for the kind words-----As i mentioned, i used realflow for most of the sims...and maya for the ocean dynamics. The music from the ocean shot is the sheet music from Capote performed by Ann-Kristin Knubben. That somber mood cast with the somewhat violent nature of the ocean scene is the clash i was going for~

The clock piece was designed to follow a Lexus commercial from Digital Domain. I just love anything that shows that shows the macro v. micro.

thanks for the showcase on your blog floydbishop, that is a wonderful compliment!

NickWhitmire
10-19-2006, 10:41 PM
really great real. Composition was beautiful. Interesting all the way through for me. No dead time. Great work!

som3d59
10-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Very high concept and very film-alike reel you've! Just the VFS title is in itself a great vfx. The texture of the clock looks believable. Eventhough there're some shot that you can improve, but hey...this is unbelievable work load in 6 month! And I'm sure we'll see more 'reality' in your piece in the next 2 month. :eek:

carlosvk
10-22-2006, 03:16 AM
Congratulations. Nice work.
Visual Effects is one of the most time consuming aspects of 3D, mainly because there are a lot of tasks to do an each one of them is usually broad and complex. You reel shows that you spent your time efficiently.

Cheers,

Carlos.

tokaru
10-22-2006, 06:10 AM
i ilke it a lot dude the work in this reel is very cool...

Igo
10-24-2006, 06:36 AM
This deserves to be front page, especially knowing that you did this in the 6 month block without scholarship, which is retarded. My only crit is that dumb VFS logo, it shoulda said "IGO" instead, and it's only 3 letters as well.

How's job hunting going? Hit me up on msn or whatever you kids are using

ratatat
10-25-2006, 12:07 AM
super job on the reel! Although most times IGO is wrong I have to agree with him this once and say front page material... puaahaa.

really liked the ocean and crazy effects... best of luck in the job hunt.

cheers :)

LloydColaco
10-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Pretty Cool Stuff man, neat Animation with cool effects....and its not one of those 2 seconds VFX reels. Looking forward to seeing your new stuff!

Spc
10-25-2006, 02:23 AM
wow.
:eek:

I am speachless.

p4roxysm
10-25-2006, 07:18 AM
-Great work Josh! I really like the color and composition of the first piece... not not mention the great texture job on all the seperate parts. Also I really love the montage of all the technical drawings in the intro…even more than the VFS logo itself.
-The ocean shot is super rad! I bet it took a long time to render hey?
-There were only a couple things that I noticed that looked a bit off. First, the water splahes near the start. The bounce after hitting the fence seemed a bit too exaggerated.. like the water was shooting off horizontally whereas it might have a bit more of an arc to it perhaps. Another would be the color and lighting in the third piece (underwater). Personally I think it could benefit from having a bit more variance in hue to offset the current balance that's going on. I think it would help draw the eye around the piece a bit more.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I agree, you achieved a lot in 6 months. I can't wait to see more work from ya!

KOKE
10-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Nice work Josh,

I cant wait to see what you make with the scholarship now.

As everyone said, its a lot of work done for only 6 months.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

My only crit would be on the ocean, scene.
The waves still look a bit Cg imo.

Great job.

JK.

:D

dutchtilt
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
mooing: thanks a ton for the front page nod---clearly i fought hard for IGO...but it didnt work. I am in scholarship now and will be starting another short with an animator---but am looking for work as a first priority!! its going good! been talking to a few companies in US and Overseas---Ratatat: thanks as well for the front page nod---and for the kind words on the ocean
SPC: speechless? wow...thanks!
p4roxysm: the ocean was a bitch! when an exec from a SF studio stopped by, she asked how i was rendering it---i commented, "very slowly." you are right on the drops...they feel a bit off...my feedback from my mentors was to make them respect gravity more...so i actually took away the arc you are talking about...with the time crunch---had to make a decision! the hue of the underwater bit was a very conscious decision. it was originally rendered with TOO much color variance...it looked like a 3rd grade paint by number. but all along the intention was to allow it to drift towards one hue, let it all feel connected, and mesh well with the emotional pitch of the piano piece.
koke: thanks for the comments! regarding the waves...i could have taken two routes that i know of in maya...use nurbs to actually model and animate waves...or use maya ocean shader...with that shader it is pretty tough to control and to create breaks... in the end i agree with you---i guess i got to get my hands on some ILM or Scanline action!!

thanks all for the comments, look forward to more!!
josh

manacrystal
10-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey, lots of different stuff in this reel, that's refreshing. I love the DOF focal changes in the stuff towards the beginning, that looks really cinematic and stylish, like a product spot. Seems like a ton of postwork in this that's well incorporated with the 3d elements, nice tones and style overall, it feels really polished to me, especially the beginning segments. Cool variety of tech and style choices!

TehYeh
10-27-2006, 09:33 AM
very well done, love the sound!!!

The intro is top notch, very consistant art direction overall. again kudos to the audio track.

Zoober
10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey Josh,

Final reel turned out really nice. The finished sound on the clock sequence really pushed the whole piece to a new level. I know that you're really passionate about running your own team eventually and I think that this reel shows that you have a good sense of keeping things clean and maintaining a certain look and feel on a project.

Manter
10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Really good, I liked it a lot. You showed a lot of talent. Best of luck!

Igo
10-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Im glad you fought for it, but Ive burned my bridges there with tires and gasoline so I dont blame them for not letting you put it in there because it would just shed that much more "Awesome" there and they cant handle it, obviously.

klous85
11-06-2006, 03:12 PM
this is front page for sure~ Very nice work-

I like that it isnt just a few shots...I also like the huge range of styles you are showing.

Very nice work. Was worth the download!

Cant wait to see whats next~

PureMoxi
11-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey Josh,

An enormous amount of work in such a compact period of time! Congratulations. I really liked the tone and mood you accomplished in the clock piece. I think the sound adds quite a bit to enhance the growing curiosity I had, trying to figure this clock out and just take in the experience. My only crit would be in the cut from shot 3 to 4, I would have liked to have seen some 'anticipation' that would have prepared me for the clock coming apart. Merely having the slowed down rain drop wasn't enough and by the middle of the 4th shot I had to do some catch up. Small nit pick though...Other than that, all of the textures, lighting and modeling were very quality and just shows a good attention to detail. Keep up the good work and good luck in the future...

dutchtilt
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
spiffy:thanks for the kind words~i agree about the cut, my hand was forced by the realflow sim. the sim didnt last very long, the frames after what i have were sketchy at best. i really wanted to hold that tension for about 15 frames longer.

klous,manter, zoober, teh, manacrystal: thanks all for the support! It was a massive amount of work to undertake...i guess the point was to show a range of abilities and interests so as to not get pigeon holed straight away. I am clearly leaning towards the photoreal end of vfx, but also love the abstract mo-graph side of it as well, hence the intro. the sound was also very interesting...trying to lock picture early enough to give my designer, pianist and copyright attempts time to develop. all the while not rushing the projects too much. i am very grateful to Jeremy Bowker (of Skywalker Sound) and Anny Knubben for their time and artistry. The sounds ties the room together...for sure.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.