PDA

View Full Version : particles taking shape

almux
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Hello,

I would like pooring particles to drop on an invisible caracter to make him appear (somehow like wax slowly trickling). What are the steps to have this done?
Any tutorial around?

BR

Patrik W
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi!

You haven't given enough information for a more tailored solution. But one way to go would be to collide your particles and save the collision UVs and then use them as a goal to make the particles stick.
I hope this at least gives you a direction to work in.

Good Luck!

almux
10-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi!

You haven't given enough information for a more tailored solution. But one way to go would be to collide your particles and save the collision UVs and then use them as a goal to make the particles stick.
I hope this at least gives you a direction to work in.

Good Luck!
Thanks for answering.
I'm a newby in maya and this "goal" concept is still a little "mystic" to me. But your suggestion is usefull.
The idea is to have a invisible walking caracter (or at least gesturing and talking - not yet figured out in storyboard) and micro objects start downpooring over it, the "living" particles would glue down from it's top making all covered surfaces visible.
It's not similar to the "Star Treck" effect of translated people wich can be done in postprod.
There are just quite few possibilities suggested in the learning book... but I can't figure out if wrapping is a similar approach or if its totally else...

rkderj
10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Another way to go would be with a layered shader and a displacement map: reveal the object plus slight displacement as the effect (opacity) "slides" down your character.

Hope this makes sense http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif.

almux
10-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Another way to go would be with a layered shader and a displacement map: reveal the object plus slight displacement as the effect (opacity) "slides" down your character.

Hope this makes sense http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif.
Gnap! Gbldz! Have yet to train on layered shaders... and I tried to apply a displacement (same texture as bump) on a shader this very afternoon (euro time) and coudn't find how to apply the displacement... I first looked at the attribute below the bump (C4D like) but than read something about Connection Editor... gee is that confusing! For the moment I try with understanding how the connection thing acts... seams yet strange and weard... ;.( Hypershader as quite it's own logic. Can't wait mastering this... once.)

rkderj
10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
First thing: render displacement with Mental Ray!!! It's rubbish in Maya.

Second thing the displacement is applied in the node above the actual material. just select the material in the Hypershade (assign it ot the object). Double click it in the Hypershade and it should go int the lower window of the Hypershade, you'll see it's connected to another "higher" node. Doubel click the "higher" node and voila.. you have the displacement map control.

almux
10-23-2006, 12:20 PM
First thing: render displacement with Mental Ray!!! It's rubbish in Maya.

Second thing the displacement is applied in the node above the actual material. just select the material in the Hypershade (assign it ot the object). Double click it in the Hypershade and it should go int the lower window of the Hypershade, you'll see it's connected to another "higher" node. Doubel click the "higher" node and voila.. you have the displacement map control.
Gee! Thank You! Regarding displacement, I will go into several render tests as well... before trying to complete a real sene.

Uuh! In hypergraph, I get a layeredShader node and, separatly, a displacementShader node connected to a displacementShader(shadingEngine) node... but no connection with these to the the layeredShader... ;.( don't know what to do with it... I unsuccessfully try to connect these... (tried in Lesson08 "The Dependency Graph" to use the "Connection Editor" but am unable to get it right... Don't understand the logic of that "make connections" thing...)

Subsidiary question: Can't find out how to connect nodes together in Hypershade... Doesn't it work like mouse-drag in Shake or Pixels?
Update: found details in Maya Help... sorry for slight hysteria! ;)

Hysteria_2 -> Well... getting shadering done as wished seams to be quite a thing with Hypershader!... :op

alexx
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
how about going the reverse way: have the particles being emitted on the characters surface and then move them away with a field?

then play the animation the other way around..

cheers

alexx

yenvalmar
10-25-2006, 07:14 AM
this is a very advanced project, i'd learn the program more first cause this is never going to go anyplace. just my 2 cents, hope i'm wrong :)

almux
10-26-2006, 09:36 AM
how about going the reverse way: have the particles being emitted on the characters surface and then move them away with a field?

then play the animation the other way around..

cheers

alexx
Not Bad!

if you are a newb to maya, you are screwed
this is a very advanced project, i'd learn the program more first cause this is never going to go anyplace. just my 2 cents, hope i'm wrong
Yes... I'm pretty concious of that aspect... I'm screwed anyway, though. ;)
To learn something, I always fixed myself huge chalanges to be sure to pull out at least little things... It's a little the way my psychology is built ;/ I have to have great visions even for small and humble results. It just pulls me... Do you understand what I mean?
I always wanted tools that could do more than my habilities... to make sure that I have a chance to improve my capabilities.

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2006, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.