PDA

View Full Version : DAZ is selling Bryce 6 for $6 (for Platinum members)

Xevious
10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
http://www.daz3d.com/newsletter/2006/redirects/629__bryce+6.php

(The link is not working now but I am assuming that is due to heavy traffic; Check back later)

Offer expires Nov 20, 2006

EDIT:

Here is another link that seem to be working
http://www.daz3d.com/newsletter/2006/weekly/newsletter10_18_06_55.html?trid=93786410

CGmonkey
10-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Yeah.. so we can make those realistic landscapes we've been dreaming about!:rolleyes:

R10k
10-19-2006, 01:39 AM
I can't say Bryce 6 is going dominate every other landscape program out there, but this is a good deal :D

86point5
10-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Anyone know if v6 can export trees (as objects, not as renders)? I know you couldn't with 5.x, but wasn't sure if anything changed for v6.

maX_Andrews
10-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Bryce rocks. Good terrain tools, good material builder, and dirt cheap.

R10k
10-19-2006, 06:23 AM
I don't believe 6 can export trees, no. Obviously there's something about how they're made which prevents them from being exported, because that's been fairly high on the wish list since 5.

Ghostscape
10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
What is a platinum member?

almux
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
What is a platinum member?
Hum! About 30$ a year (not to be paralleled with Maya platinum - or gold- or whatsoever, in any termes). So You can have Bryce 6 for around 35-36$. If you need quickly done background sceens (planets, landscapes, flying stuff in the back, aso) it's a cheap and pretty good enough solution to speed up some movie making.
I might get it for this sole purpose... After all SuperBryce Beta 10.a was my very first 3d app... ;)

Ghostscape
10-19-2006, 08:11 AM
$36 bucks for Bryce sounds pretty solid. I was never that impressed with most of the work that people do with it, but there are a couple of pros that do absolutely amazing things with it.

ftaswin
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I heard it was extremely slow to render.

I guess they are trying to compete with Vue which has been used in big studios. Has anyone here use it in production?

Ft

the-negative
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Ookay... they're finally playing catch-up with Vue 5... Easel, which even has GI. :D I suppose Vue 6 Easel has volumetric clouds, but not fluid based (as to prevent Maya-style slowdowns)

Bryce 5.5 to 6, with that little improvements? Seriously, you almost couldn't call this development. :p There's not even GI in that list, and Maxwell render seems to close in with the Bryce renderer on rendertimes in slightly more complex scenes.

pixelmonk
10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
yeah it seems like they're just trying to suck up as much money as they can from people who don't know about the flavors of Vue or other applications which could do the same job, faster and better. Daz does seem to whor* themselves out that way with their apps.

almux
10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Ookay... they're finally playing catch-up with Vue 5... Easel, which even has GI. :D I suppose Vue 6 Easel has volumetric clouds, but not fluid based (as to prevent Maya-style slowdowns)

Bryce 5.5 to 6, with that little improvements? Seriously, you almost couldn't call this development. :p There's not even GI in that list, and Maxwell render seems to close in with the Bryce renderer on rendertimes in slightly more complex scenes.

Bryce is just a nice entry app. Vue as some more arguments, of course. See the intergration module with Maya objects... but again, few $ to add to grab it.

R10k
10-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Daz have commented that most of the development of Bryce 6 has gone towards the fixing up the underlying code so they can start developing it properly (it was apparently some mess when aquired). So, while this doesn't do much for average person right now, it means Bryce should have a pretty decent future ahead of it.

I'm enjoying Bryce simply because it's a little quirky, and its renderer has a look to it that's all of its own. In other words, I'm happy to have another tool in the toolbox. I'm sure Vue is a great application, but then, I can't afford Vue. Between Carrara and Bryce, I'm sure I can easily match Vue for a heck of a lot less than what it costs.

From what I know about Vue, the program does almost everything for you. In Bryce, you have to work hard to pull off a quality render... and that in itself is pretty entertaining. Think of it as a program to enjoy mastering, and not as a production tool, and perhaps you'll find it worth the small cost as I have.

pixelmonk
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
From what I know about Vue, the program does almost everything for you. In Bryce, you have to work hard to pull off a quality render... and that in itself is pretty entertaining. Think of it as a program to enjoy mastering, and not as a production tool, and perhaps you'll find it worth the small cost as I have.

Trust me.. Vue doesn't do almost anything for you. It does take a lot of tweaking to pull off something that looks good, and the render times for a good looking render can make you cry.

Nichod
10-19-2006, 05:53 PM

Keep in mind that the code was a bunch of crap. So they fixed that. Corel had it for a few years and screwed it up more. Not to mention that a gap existed between Metacreations selling everything and Corel buying it. For entry-level is not a bad piece of software.

The list of new things:

New in Bryce 6.0! - Image Based Lighting via HDRI
New in Bryce 6.0! - Animation Import via DAZ|Studio
New in Bryce 6.0! - Mesh Export of Booleans
New in Bryce 6.0! - Image-Based Brushes within the Terrain Editor
New in Bryce 6.0! - 16-Bit Greyscale Image Import within the Terrain Editor
New in Bryce 6.0! - Random Replicate Tool
New in Bryce 6.0! - Support for Dual-Processors and Hyperthreading
New in Bryce 6.0! - Compressed File format
New in Bryce 6.0! - Custom Image Textures on the Moon
New in Bryce 6.0! - Improved Preset Managers
New in Bryce 6.0! - Mouse-Over Tool Tips
Updated Documentation
DAZ|Studio 1.3.1.0
Plus, all the following:

Dramatic Render Speed Increase: Render your favorites scenes over 30% faster on average than in version 5.0 with no image quality loss at all!
DAZ|Studio Character Plug-in - easily load and edit thousands of 3D figures, vehicles, wildlife and more.
Enhanced OpenGL Support - see, in real time, the texture maps applied to objects in your scene in 8 different display styles.
Bryce Lightning 2.0 - With a new interface, this network render application speeds up processing time by utilizing advanced image compression for improved rendering over either a Local Area Network (LAN) or a Wide Area Network (WAN).
Terrain Editor - enjoy greater visible detail with increased resolution coupled with an improved default display style while editing terrains, fully scalable 2D and 3D image previews, and a time line for controlling the progression of animations.
Tree Lab - place realistic trees in your scenes, specifying details such as tree type, branch density, leaf or needle density, coloration and more
Light Lab - enjoy robust control over lighting direction, intensity, and tinting from one or more sources to ensure a more accurate production of real-world environments
Texture Editor - easily import, create and edit preset textures then save them as new textures for future use
Rendering Options - achieve a new level of realism in your scenes with Soft Shadows, Blurred Reflections, Blurred Transmission (frosted glass), True Ambient Lighting and Depth of Field. Plus, take advantage of optimizations designed to speed up the creation of architectural scenes.
Metaballs Support - save valuable time with Metaballs technology that lets you create organic shapes without the need for high-polygon modeling
Intuitive User Interface - take advantage of handy palettes to create and edit objects, design scenes and render final images quickly -- a great way for new users to learn Bryce!
Presets - explore a virtually infinite number of textures and landscapes with preset collections that include terrains, waters, skies, rocks, clouds and fog.
Over 550 MB's of included content
Landscape Creation - quickly and easily produce remarkably realistic landscapes, impressive fantasy worlds and other dynamic scenes
Image-Editing Tools - import 2D images from a variety of formats, transform them into 3D objects, then incorporate them into your scenes
Animation and Web Capabilities - create Web animations, generate thumbnail images and preview them in storyboard format, and create virtual tours using QuickTime[TM] VR

maX_Andrews
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Support for Dual-Processors and Hyperthreading

This by itself will double rendering time for me.

Also, the previous versions were aweful in that they would eat up 85-95% of a CPU while IDLE. I just got version 6 and it only uses about 4% of the cpu when idle. YAY! That's like a 1400% improvement.

But yeah, I still use bryce for most of my rendering as you can get maxwell-like results (and rendertimes) if you are creative. Here are some images I made with wings 3D and bryce 5 over the past years:

http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/barbedfinal.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/brycebrickfinal.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/blocksmm.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/cheeseshadows.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/erasersfinmadmax.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/flashlightmadmax.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/gitestmadmax.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/images/radioroomtestmadmax2.jpg
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/winescene2.jpg
The other thing about bryce is that it has fantastic procedural volumetric materials. Slow to render, but cool:
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~madmax/uploads/bleeding5b.jpg

Not bad for $35 bucks.

the-negative
10-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Daz have commented that most of the development of Bryce 6 has gone towards the fixing up the underlying code so they can start developing it properly (it was apparently some mess when aquired). So, while this doesn't do much for average person right now, it means Bryce should have a pretty decent future ahead of it.

Lol at the irony! :D
Lets see: Lightwave 9. Yes, it's codebase was screwed up when the dev team split and Luxolog formed (Ouch?), and still LW9 is a great advancement compared to LW8- at least to me. It counts as a full version upgrade.

Bryce 6 should be flat-on named as Bryce 5.6. The renderengine still can't handle lots of objects, or even simple reflections/refractions with volumetrics quickly. There's no Global lighting (you'll have to fake it, and it's helluva slow even for closeups), the inbuilt meshes aren't impressive (I wished they improved on this aspect since- you know, they made quite good unimesh models that can withstand quite some morphing.), and... well, there's no "revolutionary" feature yet. (Compared to Vue 5, GI and Ecosystems; Vue 6, Metaclouds and motion-tracking support)

Maybe they should throw the whole codebase away and just frickin' focus on Carrara (which they ruined by buying it, by the way)

R10k
10-20-2006, 10:11 AM
So they ruined Carrara by buying up the development team and the program? How does that work exactly? If you hadn't have said that, for a moment I might have thought you had a clue about what it was you were talking about, but... I guess not. When I mentioned fixing the code of Bryce, I was relating what Daz had said on their forums. Just because Bryce and Lightwave needed some fixering up doesn't make the two comparable. Also, I believe Bryce was in a state where a lot of the code needed to be rewritten from scratch because what was there prevented work from continuing on it.

It counts as a full version upgrade.

So it cost you $39 to upgrade to Lightwave 9? Tell you what- when I can get an upgrade to Lightwave 9 for $6 I'll start comparing it to Bryce. Heck, I didn't even have Bryce before version 6, so that'd make it the full version of Lightwave 9 for $6, while being part of the Platinum club. Have a chat to Newtek and Daz for me and see if they'll go for it. If they will, I'll start complaining about Bryce for you.

The renderengine still can't handle lots of objects, or even simple reflections/refractions with volumetrics quickly.

It seems to handle them okay to me. It's not exactly a fast renderer, but I didn't just pay for Mental Ray, so... I really don't care. A lot of the speed issues come down to not having a lot of control over things. If I play with the settings somewhat I can get it to render quite fast. But, as with all renderers... if you want quality, you have to wait.

(Compared to Vue 5, GI and Ecosystems; Vue 6, Metaclouds and motion-tracking support)

Listen, if that's what you want, then pay the large difference in price and go buy it. Bryce is cheap, and quite fun to use. It really doesn't deserve to be picked on. If I want quality and speed I'll spend a full day tweaking Mental Ray via XSI. If I want to have a bit of fun, I'll muck around with Bryce since it cost me almost nothing.

Yacomo
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Here are some images I made with wings 3D and bryce 5 over the past years...

Not bad for $35 bucks.
Wow! That must be about the best advertisement I've seen for Bryce in ages! :thumbsup:

* bows *

There may not be many new features in this new version. But on my Powerbook G4 it is a MASSIVE improvement in terms of stability. There must have been some serious bug-crunching going on at DAZ.

erlik
10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
This by itself will double rendering time for me.

You don't mean "halve," by any chance?

But yeah, I still use bryce for most of my rendering as you can get maxwell-like results (and rendertimes) if you are creative. Here are some images I made with wings 3D and bryce 5 over the past years: Not bad for $35 bucks.

If I hadn't seen them before, I would've been more impressed. :D Not bad at all.

But yeah, what people apparently are very reluctant to notice, Vue Infinite costs $579. And has an awful terrain editor to boot, in spite of all the erosions and bits added.

almux
10-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Trust me.. Vue doesn't do almost anything for you. It does take a lot of tweaking to pull off something that looks good, and the render times for a good looking render can make you cry.
I just had a look at e-on's site. Vue 6 to come looks great and will be UB... I wonder if I won't buy Vue Infinite first and wait to see how Autodesk manages the next Maya version...

the-negative
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
You don't mean "halve," by any chance]

But yeah, what people apparently are very reluctant to notice, Vue Infinite costs $579. And has an awful terrain editor to boot, in spite of all the erosions and bits added.

A previous loophole allowed any Vue 4 Professional customer to get Vue 6 Infinite for 80 bucks.
Aww.

And I prefer the terrain/function editor in Vue for proceduralism instead of a solution sorely based on bitmap and 2D paint. I thought most people who were looking for great terrains (in any program) used World Machine? Even the free version spouts out 512 maps which are already quite competent.

erlik
10-22-2006, 06:00 AM
And I prefer the terrain/function editor in Vue for proceduralism instead of a solution sorely based on bitmap and 2D paint.

Er, what are you talking about? Bryce?

Bryce's terrain editor is based on fractals. You can also use its procedural texture editor, also based on fractals, to create new terrains. Plus you can use 2D RGB and greyscale images to create terrains.

Not to mention that you can tile 4096-resolution terrains to get humongous landscapes. Your computer is the limit.

I thought most people who were looking for great terrains (in any program) used World Machine? Even the free version spouts out 512 maps which are already quite competent.

World Machine has a very good terrain editor. Only thing, the free version is non-commercial use only.

almux
10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Er, what are you talking about? Bryce?

Bryce's terrain editor is based on fractals. You can also use its procedural texture editor, also based on fractals, to create new terrains. Plus you can use 2D RGB and greyscale images to create terrains.

Not to mention that you can tile 4096-resolution terrains to get humongous landscapes. Your computer is the limit.

World Machine has a very good terrain editor. Only thing, the free version is non-commercial use only.

At the oposite of World Machine, Brice and Vue (Vue6 = UB) are cross platform.

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.