PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on new system............

Virtuoso
03-20-2002, 09:24 AM
Hello all..............my first post. And I already need your advice.............

I am interested in putting together a system for 3D studio Max. I am going with a dual 2 gig MP's or some new T-bred dual MP system real soon.

However I was wondering if there is a better solution for me when working with 3D studio Max but that will still only run me about $2K to $2.5000 ?

I know of SGI a bit, are there any solutions there that I can look into for a reasonable price? And where can I look if so?

And is SGI better than a PC of Dual 2 gig speeds and 1.5 to 2 gigs of memory? Please help me put together a system.............

Lots of questions, sorry, but I hope someone can help out a little at least............Thanks very much for any help.

:)

MadMax
03-23-2002, 10:04 AM
for price/performance your best dollars would be spent on an Athlon based system......

Fuzer
03-31-2002, 01:11 AM
I basically have the same question.
I'm leaning toward a Dell, but want to explore other options...
Maybe and Athlon system like MadMax suggested(?)

Virtuoso- Are you getting any closer to deciding on a system? If so, please let me know what you have found. Thanks :)

SheepFactory
03-31-2002, 01:46 AM
check out BOXX , they have awesome systems on their website for a reasonable price.

A|i

Fuzer
04-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the tip on Boxx, Sheep Factory!
I just got a quote from them, and it was very reasonable! And their systems are top notch from what I have gathered :)

I just wish there was some way to price the systems yourself without having to send off for a quote (like dell or alienware).... I just sent off a 2nd quote request. Hopefully that will be the last one, and I can finally get my new system :D

Leonard
04-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Yeah dude. BoXX all the way... :D

Leo

Fuzer
04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks for extra vote of confidence Leonard. I am 99% sure that I will be going with them :)

FWIW: I told them where I saw their banner, and where I got the recommendation :thumbsup:

phatgroovn
04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Boxx Roxx. Their cases look sweet too.

Here's a tip - call Boxx and talk to them. A friend of mine is pricing systems right now, he priced out a tricked-out Dell, then called Boxx and gave em the specs and the price. They adjusted their estimate to earn his business.

Fuzer
04-03-2002, 09:54 PM
I appreciate the tip!! :)

I am zeroing in on the system I want after 3 quotes. I have been pleasantly surprised by their prices. I was thinking about a Dell before, but have pretty much written them off now. I am looking at a dual Athlon system, and Dell only has pentium. Maybe I should compare with Alienware or somewhere like that. But I am really sold on Boxx :bounce:

If you happen to know if he is going with 2000 or XP, please let me know. I'm torn right now :hmm:

Thanks Phatgroovn :)

phatgroovn
04-03-2002, 10:08 PM
He is going with Windows 2000, as I am staying with it too for now. I havent seen anything in XP that actually improves workflow right now. I will most likely wait to get serious about XP until it becomes recommended by the software that i use, but 2K actually isnt too bad (for a M$ operating sys).

Let me know what you end up with...in a few short months i am going to be playing the "built it or buy it" game with a new station.

-d

MadMax
04-04-2002, 02:26 AM
I could give you tons of really good reasons to avoid XP at all costs.

I tried it and have done nothing but regret it..........

Fuzer
04-04-2002, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the advice, MadMax. That pretty much settles it for me :)

The only thing that concerns me a little is that a few of my apps may eventually require or suggest XP... Like AfterEffects doesn't list NT in it's system requirements now. Any sound I import has to be a converted to a mov first or I get crashes all over the place. Adobe knows about it, but aren't worried about it cuz it's NT....

But by the time XP is recommended for anything I will probably need a new machine anyway :p Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.