PDA

View Full Version : 3D Tracking

chicolima
02-05-2003, 12:37 AM
hi,

We're working on a Feature Film (shot in HDTV 1920x1080_24p) that will need to use a 3D Tracking solution.

We'll be using Inferno 4.0.3 for visual effects and 3ds max for 3D.

The opening will consist on a actor who will be singing and walking thur different streets in a virtual city.

The actor will be shot on a Greenscreen studio and the virtual city will be created in 3D.

So we'll need to match the camera movements made while shooting the actor in the Studio with the camera in 3Ds max and with the camera in Inferno.

This opening will have a duration of 2 minutes.

Could anyone give me some recomendations (tips and tricks) on:

- what software would be better for this? Realviz, Boujou, Equalizer or use the Inferno 3D tracker.

- how to mark the greenscreen in the studio. Put marks on the wall, floor and additional objects in the studio that would help the 3d tracking.

Any info. is appreciated since this is the first time we'll be doing this type of work.

Best Regards.

Chris
02-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Dont forget about Icarus!

http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/icarus/

GrantKay
02-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Apparently Icarus can generate combustion workspaces, so bringingin the 3D camera data works nicely...

Anyone doing this?

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

Aruna
02-06-2003, 01:00 AM
I quite like Boujou for 3D tracking, and you are able to export Maya and inferno scene files out as well, it also does a pretty good job of automated tracking, so just set it.. and forget it! (Sorry, rotisserie grill advert pops to mind) The biggest thing I think that would help the track is to place tracking markers in different areas of 3d space, ie, a couple on the back wall, a couple in the fg floor. It is much easier if the track marks are placed with some sort of order, so you can apply relationships between the points in your 3d tracking program. What I am familar with is put LEDs up as tracking markers. They stand out pretty well, and if you sync the LEDs to blink 24fps with the HDcam, you will get crisp points to track to. :) You could also construct an XYZ model, and put LEDs on the ends to signify your XYZ coordinates in 3d space. I hope that helps! Oh, btw, I notice you're in Rio.. Is there much contract/freelance work for discreet FFI artists down there?

dg
02-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by GrantKay
Apparently Icarus can generate combustion workspaces, so bringingin the 3D camera data works nicely...

I've only tried with Boujou and works fine, I'm planing to do some tests with Icarus soon, I friend of mine who uses LW tested him and said that he is very good, even better them Boujou.

Thanks,
See Ya!

jelloshotsrule
02-20-2003, 10:46 PM
only knowledge i have is second hand... a teacher of mine has said that boujou is basically the hot stuff with 3D tracking. however, if there is a product that works more seamlessly with combustion, then that's something to consider.

good luck

Pyro2301
02-21-2003, 01:55 AM
Don't forget about about SceneGenie! It's a plug-in for max and it's tracked shots that Boujou just can't track (free move with a zoom). I never gave Icarus a fair try so I can't say much about that except if Boujou can't track it then Icarus will but the results are crap:shrug:

Matt has a lot of shots that he's done with SceneGenie on his website (http://www.merkovich.com/movies_pages/2002/html/2002_movies_frameset.htm)

-Victor

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.