PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about hotkeys

Resist
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Mapping hotkeys seems a little complex. For exemple. how do I map a x-ray display mode toggle ?

thx.

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't have XSI on this computer, but it's probably under XSI in the keyboard mapping.

Perhaps you might be interested in Viewport Controls v2 addon. - it's currently a thread down below

McKertis
10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Mapping hotkeys seems a little complex.
I'd say on the contrary. In Maya you can note write your own scripts for every keybind. THAT is a little complex, for someone unfamiliar with programming.

Resist
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd say on the contrary. In Maya you can note write your own scripts for every keybind. THAT is a little complex, for someone unfamiliar with programming.

I can map anything (script or command) on any key in maya with the hotkey manager. That's what I'd like to do in XSI. If I need to script my x-ray toggle where do i put my scrip in the hotkey mamanger ?

grahamef
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
You need to turn your script into a command first, for example, by dragging it onto a custom toolbar. After that, open the Keyboard Mapping dialog box and you'll find your new command in the Custom Script Commands group.

Resist
10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
thanks a lot grahamef.

Resist
10-18-2006, 11:45 PM
You need to turn your script into a command first, for example, by dragging it onto a custom toolbar. After that, open the Keyboard Mapping dialog box and you'll find your new command in the Custom Script Commands group.

done. but when i try to map it on a key it tell me that default key map can't be modified. I create a new one from QWERTY and now i can map it from custom script commands...

but when i get out of the keybord manager it seems to get back on default QWERTY. my mapped command is not working. Do i need to select the view in the keyboard manager ?

dwigfor
10-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Go back in and make sure your new keymap is selected...

grahamef
10-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Also, make sure you haven't mapped it to a key that is used by other tools. For example, the Tweak tool (M key) uses J and L, so if the Tweak tool is active then it takes priority for those keys because it's a more specific context. You can either change the mappings for your custom command or for any other tool that uses that key, or simply get used to deactivating the other tool before running your command.

Resist
10-19-2006, 06:29 PM
well... I have a new key map called QWERTY_2 and it is selected in the keybord mapping...
in custom script commands i go to my xRay comamnd that i created. I see the key (X) that i mapped for it. I close de keybord mapping...

In File>interaction model, QWERTY tools and ... is selected

I open the script editor to see what apen and when I hit X : nothing.

What is the view section in the middle of the keybord mapping... window ? Do i need to do something with that ? is it the contect that grahamef talk about ?

thx.

grahamef
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
You don't need to open the script editor -- just press X over a viewport. Once you have created a custom command from a script, it has the same status as any other XSI command and doesn't need the script editor to run anymore.

The easiest way to see if another tool is using a given key is to click View in Browser and then search for it (Ctrl+F with Match Whole Word Only). I did that and it doesn't look like X should cause a conflict with the QWERTY map.

Also, after you have selected QWERTY_2 in the Keyboard Mapping editor, don't choose File > Interaction Model > QWERTY again. Doing that will re-apply the default QWERTY keymap.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.