PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean hand flipping???

skater363636
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I was wondering what people thought would be the best way to clean up the hand data on a mocap file. There seems to be a lot of swapping on the hands and the hands flip around a lot. When I go into a seperate layer with the control rig and try to set base keys and then go through and keyframe it out it seems to act all funky and I was just wondering if anyone out there had a better way to clean it. When I get the chance I'm going to post a playblast of the animation up on a site for people to see the problems.

sandmanrl69
11-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey skater

Ahh the ol'hand swaps...such a pain in the A$$
If your using motion Builder which im assuming you are, another way of goin about fixing hand swaps is this.....

Right when the hand markers swap (say for ex. hand A and hand B) double click A, and go to your Navigator and click swap with marker than before you click hand B make sure on the side menu that you set it to from cursor to end...thann click hand B and exicute the swap. That should put the hand back to it correct position. But when you scroll back there will be a spike in the animation...just simply split the segment on both sides of the spike and remove that area. That should work. And if theres more swaps along the way just keep using that method till you can go through your whole animation without the hands swapping or spiking.
If theres any problems let me know...and maybe I can find a file with swaps and try it again.

But if you have any control on the actual motion capture session and marker set up...I know when we started we had the hand markers A & B ridiciously close together and there were sooo many swaps it drove me nuts!! But than we took two popcle sticks and taped together to make a longer stick and taped up a marker on each end, and attached it to the wrist. So they were farther apart yet still capture the rotation really well....and BEST OF ALL it almost never swaps...saving alot of time in clean up!!

So try that out...and like I said any problems let me know

skater363636
11-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey thanks for the info.... I have already gone through and cleaned it up but I'm definatly going to try that to see if it works cause I really want to know all the little tricks I can. What I did to clean it up was I plotted the characters to the skeleton and then I went through and deleted the keys on the wrists and also the forarm joint since I was getting insane twisting. I know thats prolly not the best way to do it but I have a dead line for the project I'm working on. It's a sword fight which probably isn't the easiest thing to really start off with for learning mocap but it's given me a lot of experience. I know I'll have more questions on the way and I'm currently getting ready to start keying the hands with the swords in and then moving it over to maya. The one question I do have is how do you plot a scene when using the story tool so that maya can read it with the motion from the story tool like the motion blends? Thanks for the advise really... it gives me a little more hope.

sandmanrl69
11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
hey man

Alrite to get your animation from Story mode to Maya this is what i do.

Once everything is all good and your animation is how you want it...plot to Skeleton, than save the file just incase. Than delete your character and control rig (if you plotted to control rig originally) THan theres a good chance your charcter is gonna go all messed up...and the way to fix that is delete your clip in the story mode!! than save your file again, I usually add _EXport at the end of the name. Than import that file to Maya, go to your outliner and select all the bones of the character, and go to file-export selection- make it a peelani file. SAve it as whatever name_PEEL. Than open your character in Maya and import the Peel file you just exported, and that should work.

Of course Im assumming you have the FBX and PEEL ANI plugins.

Hopefully that will help, Im sorry I made it kinda blunt, but Im at work and have some things to get at.
CHEERS

skater363636
11-18-2006, 09:03 AM
First I want to thank you for all the help you've been giving me. I really apprieciate it cause I haven't gotten a huge amount of responses to most of my questions. I had another question though. I was wondering how you plotted a character that had an aux effector on it. I have some characters that are useing some swords so I have the sword parented under the main hand and then the effector parented under the sword. I was wondering the best way to plot that because on another scene I tried plotting it but I had keys on the effector and it didn't seem to have taken the keys and it went kinda funky when he wasn't supposed to be grabbing the object with the second hand. Sorry if any of this isn't cohearent but I've been working on a few projects lately cause it's finals and I haven't gotten a lot of sleep. Thanks again for all the help!

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2006, 09:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.