PDA

View Full Version : Several newbie questions

McKertis
10-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Ok, playing around with the trial.

1. The Sample/Bracketing function doesnt work. First it says it will start up ActiveX, i say ok, then it says there was a script error on the page, continue y/n, i say yes. Then nothing happens. Whats wrong ?

2. Am i to understand that you cannot set individual objects on X-ray shaded mode ? Its all or nothing ?

3. Is it possible to have the render window to remain open after the render ?
Or should i just use Preview funvtion for single image renders ?

4. Is it possible to set the tools in the way, that will allow me to select faces without dragging the rectangle around them fully ? Like Maya select tool works. It combines Raycast and Rectange XSI tools in a more comfortable manner.

5. Construction modes is an interesting idea, and i understand its very integrated into XSI workflow, but would it be possible to just throw them away, if i wanted to, and have an operators stack presented in actual order of appliance ?

Thanks.

McKertis
10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Another question, XSI crashed on me several times already. Is it considered stable ?

McKertis
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Geez, its not a package, its a bugzilla right off the conveyer.

Ok, so i want to set the keys to what i am used to in Silo.
A - Point select tool
S - Edge select tool
D - Polygon select tool....and thats where the problems begin to arise. It appears i cannot map the "D" key to anything. Well, i CAN, but it will not work. Instead, when i hold down "D" key it shows me the "[...]" sign next to the mouse pointer.

bravmm
10-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Did you read the manual a bit and do some tutorials????
Looking at your questions it seems not.

XSI is -NO- Maya, Lightwave, 3DStudioMax, Silo, ZBrush etc. etc.

It has a different workflow with different shortcuts. You -can- change it to some extend, but it's better to get used to most of them.
Remapping the "s" key in XSI would definetly kill your viewport manupulation as it does the same thing as Maya's "Alt" key. And there's more of that.
I'm not hard on you, just telling it as it is ;-)

For your other questions:
1. Works at my end, could it be your internet browser is blocking the directX app?
2. you can mix and match several modes, even based on moving/non mocing objects.
3. no and yes, that's more convenient
4. no, but it's a complaint that's been posted a lot from users that have worked with software XYZ
5. you have to read up on the construction modes, because the workflow around it is very very powerfull. You cannot work "around" them, but you could "freeze" all operations in the end. I don't really get your last question, but I guess you mean something like the stack in Max. Then no. XSI's construction modes follow a certain "flow". Again, watch the video's and do some tutorials on this as it can be a real lifesaver.

Last thing regarding your stability remark. XSI is very stable for me on several pc's. Like any other highend 3D app it's picky about graphic cards and drivers. Always have a look on the website for supported cards and drivers. ATI is known to be a hassle with XSI.

And please tell us what version of XSI you're using next time, and any errormessages would do fine too. Telling it doesn't work will not get you real replies I'm afraid ;-)

cheers,

rob

mocaw
10-18-2006, 07:31 PM
I'd also like to mention that I've noticed several other applications, when running at the same time, cause havoic on each other. XSI is as stable as a 3D program I've used yet. I've only had one scene that crashed a lot, and it could be linked to a third party plugin. On average XSI crashes once in 10 hours of heavy use which I have yet to find an all around 3D program that does much better on my system. Often it crashes due to what seems me overloading my system with low RAM specs, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, XSI, firefox, and my FTP program being open at the same time, with the render region going etc. is a recipe for disaster on a system with 1GB of RAM. Many other times a crash is caused by my video ATI video drivers.

Try restarting and running XSI on it's own after doing research on your video card, as stated before by bravmm.

And I agree- do not re-assign keys until your're already familiar with XSI! You'll seriously do some damage to yourself that way since many keys in XSI have more than one use.

McKertis
10-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Remapping the "s" key in XSI would definetly kill your viewport manupulation
It would not, coz i already switched to the "Alt" navigation, much more comfortable. :)
But my problem is not "S" key, its the "D" key that gives me cold shoulder. Anyone know whats so special about the " D" key, and why it wont simply work already ?

2. you can mix and match several modes, even based on moving/non mocing objects.
Where is it, can you tell ? The help article on x-ray shading is most un-helpful. It only mentions two x-ray modes, and thats it.

Again, watch the video's
Send me some training DVD's, would you be so kind ? :)

The version i am ...trying to use is 5.0. I really dont want to re-download that huge trial again, for just a .11 increment.

Yet another question - is there a way to increase the edge width display ? The edges are so thin, i click 4 or 5 times before i select the one i want.

mocaw
10-18-2006, 07:42 PM
The version i am ...trying to use is 5.0. I really dont want to re-download that huge trial again, for just a .11 increment.

Yet another question - is there a way to increase the edge width display ? The edges are so thin, i click 4 or 5 times before i select the one i want.

Well until you do download it we're going to have to avoid most of your complaints about bugs! Even if you're on dial up you should do it.

You don't need to click directly on edges to select them- while it would be nice for polygons, with edges it's nicer to be able to drag across. Try I or Shift+I (I like to use the ray cast shift+I mode)

D is used to cut a parental link. When used with other keys it is used to duplicate things, polygons, whole objects, models etc. It is very useful in sub-division surface modeling.

Use the Y key instead or the shift+U key instead of the D. Key.

So let me guess...you trying to evaluate the software and your main concern is about modeling? Well the tools, while not modo, are very good, and if you just judge XSI on modeling then you're going to miss out on 99% of what makes it so good. Take your time and chill out- just get a double espresso today...not a deca shot grande!

McKertis
10-18-2006, 07:55 PM
So let me guess...you trying to evaluate the software and your main concern is about modeling?
On the contrary. I am interested in XSI because of animation and rigging praise it is getting.
However i still want to feel comfortable enough to model in the same application. I have Silo, but its use is somewhat...limited.

D is used to cut a parental link. When used with other keys it is used to duplicate things, polygons, whole objects, models etc. It is very useful in sub-division surface modeling.
Let me put this in another way.
Can XSI shortcut key have two functions assigned to it at the same time ? It appears that no.
Does XSI allow user to reassign the "D" key to the function of his own choise ? Yes, it does.

So why the "D" key doesnt work ?
You advise to use other keys, i understand, but i STILL want to know the actual reasoning behind this unlogical behaviour.
Can you test if the same thing happens on your copy of XSI ? Or is it only my problem ?

mocaw
10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Have you started that download yet?

OK, so I press D and I get a cut parental link option. Hope that helps. NO, I'm not going to remap it because I use it for a lot of things. Do you need U or Shift+U or Y for something? If not then stick with these keys, if you do then still stick with these keys. This isn't modo or Silo- it has a long standing userbase that likes its keys a certain way. You can change them...but past the maya setup you're on your own.

If you want to do animation, then start there. Nothing says you have to model in XSI, unless you want to take advantage of it's "history stack" way of doing things.

And let me be the first to welcome you to the world of XSI, but man your one terse person. Try using a different tone next time and you might get a better reply out of people. There are probably a lot of XSI users looking over this thread thinking your not worth the time- chill out and you'll get better answers and more help.

tuna
10-18-2006, 08:08 PM
1. The Sample/Bracketing function doesnt work. First it says it will start up ActiveX, i say ok, then it says there was a script error on the page, continue y/n, i say yes. Then nothing happens. Whats wrong ?

When you reassign the S navigation method to the ALT navigation, then the ALT key (which is crucial to the S navigation method, since it's a keystroke modifier) is remapped to the D key. I don't know if this changable, as I don't use the ALT navigation.

2. Am i to understand that you cannot set individual objects on X-ray shaded mode ? Its all or nothing ?

I think so. All or nothing. You can only change display modes per option, but not X-ray as that seems to be a camera-specific thing.

5. Construction modes is an interesting idea, and i understand its very integrated into XSI workflow, but would it be possible to just throw them away, if i wanted to, and have an operators stack presented in actual order of appliance ?

If you want this, then just don't change modeling modes. Most operators will work fine just being in the modeling section. If you are interested in XSI for it's rigging praise, then I suggest you learn how to use the modifier stack as it's crucual for certain non-linear rigging methods.

Another question, XSI crashed on me several times already. Is it considered stable ?

XSI is very stable for me, but since you're refusing to update from the .0 release (a lot of people tend to just skip the .0 releases as they don't get the time-proven bug testing and fixes as later releases), then you can't really complain about stability.

Overall I think you should read the manuals, learn how to use XSI, and not try to make it work like silo or max or anything like that, as you'll just fall flat on your face like you are right now. These questions also belong in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=382788

mocaw
10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Ah, tuna you just gave me an idea, maybe he's modeling away doing all sorts of operations and hist modeling stack is getting bloated...hasn't this been known to cause a crash/almost freeze in some cases? If he downloads the latest version, and does his intensive modeling in Immediate mode shouldn't XSI crash less?

Just a thought.

McKertis
10-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Do you need U or Shift+U or Y for something? If not then stick with these keys, if you do then still stick with these keys.
So, i am basically ordered to use someone else's keymap ? And for no reason, too...
Thats sad. XSI customisability going down...

Try using a different tone next time
You THINK you know in what tone i am talking ?
I could splash loads of smileys around, :) next time. :) :) :thumbsup:

When you reassign the S navigation method to the ALT navigation, then the ALT key (which is crucial to the S navigation method, since it's a keystroke modifier) is remapped to the D key.
Is that a documented feature ? I cant find a reference to this. Point me in the right direction ?

mocaw
10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
So, i am basically ordered to use someone else's keymap ? And for no reason, too...
Thats sad. XSI customisability going down...

Look, XSI uses a lot of keys for different things- you change one thing and you'll need to change another because MOST of the keys come assigned to something. So the limitation is mainly, for all intents and purposes with you on this front. If you're smart enough to change keys around and remember to translate what they are in your head while doing a tutorial, then you're smart enough to dig through the key commands and find what they're doing.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but unless there is some language barrier you have a rather harsh way of dealing with things- I've looked over some of your other posts in other threads and found some of the same "demands" being made.

Please do these things before you post here again:

Read the whole thread for new users. I check it every so often because a lot of good information is added to it all the time- for everyone.

Download XSI 5.11

Check out your graphics card specs etc. and compare them with what softimage says is good- maybe update/or downgrade your video drivers if needed.

Try NOT to change the user keys until you have done several tutorials and are familiar with what will happen when "XYZ" key is changed to another.

Do some tutorials, such as the ones found all over the net like at http://www.edharriss.com/

If you have issues, please do a search first- THEN post here.

I'm not a moderator so maybe I'm going to far here, but everything you're looking to answer has already been answered here, or is in the XSI help or on this forum.

McKertis
10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
If you're smart enough to change keys around and remember to translate what they are in your head while doing a tutorial, then you're smart enough to dig through the key commands and find what they're doing.
I am smart enough, but when software just plainly refuses to do its job and doesnt give any reasons or errors or any other kind of output - what can one do ?

I've looked over some of your other posts in other threads
I've looked over some of yours, and cannot find any significant difference whatsoever.

everything you're looking to answer has already been answered here, or is in the XSI help or on this forum.
Yes. Except the "D" key behaviour. Still trying to find the mention of it in the docs.

luceric
10-19-2006, 12:44 AM
answered your 'd' mapping question on xsibase.
that key is used by the Transform Tool and you need to unmap it from there, by choosing that group in the keyboard mapping dialog, if you want to remap that key.
Use the View In Browser in the keyboard mapping dialog to see all XSI commands

Sbowling
10-19-2006, 03:32 AM
My advice would be to reset the keys to the default settings. Go through the PDF tutorials to get an understanding of how XSI works and once you understand the way things work you can then go around and modify you key settings. You may actually find that they work very well the way they are. I pretty much stick with the default key mapping because it's pretty well thought out and works very well. Besides, if you screw up your keys and then ask how to do something and they give you a keyboard shortcut (which is quite common) it will be useless because your key setup won't match.

Once you have an idea about how things work in XSI come back with some intelligent questions. It's generally a bad idea to go in to a forum and start bashing a program and then expect people to help you with it. XSI is a very stable program on the machines I run it on, in fact I would say it's the most stable 3d program I have ever owned.

McKertis
10-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Once you have an idea about how things work in XSI come back with some intelligent questions.
Ok. I hope you will give me the intelligent answer at that time...which i highly doubt.

ThE_JacO
10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Ok. I hope you will give me the intelligent answer at that time...which i highly doubt.

while you got a bit of a snide remark thrown at you there, it was in the context of a whole post that was trying to advice. Replying as you did, with a one liner polemic and sarcastic remark was more rude then -any- of the posts you received warranted.

what tone you're "talking" in I don't know, on account of this being a text based medium, but that is irrelevant, what is relevant is that -everybody- perceives it as unnecessary polemic and aggressive; hence a little bit of aim correction might help you to get more out of this then you've been insofar.

if you want your own thread to go on, and considering the amount of posts you put into it it must have been of some use to you (because the only person that would put so much time into a thread that's useless to them is a troll, whether self-aware or not) then please turn the polemic down a notch, show some respect for other users who have been trying to help you, and stop dismissing comments that make sense with great stomping of feet because they are not your way of doing things.

if you ask for advice be ready to accept it and try it, jumping around and holding your breath til you go blue in the face until you get advice you like is not an option for very long.

we like it level-headed and open mentality style in here, either be assimilated by the evil forum mentality borg or perish!

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.