PDA

View Full Version : BusinessWeek: Big Media Gets into Second Life

RobertoOrtiz
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Quote:
"Wired magazine is just the latest in a string of media outlets staking their online claims in the popular virtual-world game "
>>LINK<< (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061017_127435.htm?campaign_id=bier_tco.g3a.rss1017a)

-R

Leionaaad
10-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Ok...The name Second Life occurs for the N-th time this week. Up until now I didn't knew it exists.
Odd...They are like wolves. They treat everything remotelly connected to games as such...only a game, nothing serious.
Until one company decides to make a presentation there. Then everybody jumps in.

I feel I have to quote from South Park:
"Do you have a World of Warcraft account?"
"No, I have a life."

So this entire virtualisation process has some bright sides (more people gain access), but keep people in their homes...

Help me out here, I am so confused, I don't even know what my point is!

Obsydian
10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Second Life has been in the news many times before this, with people making real money and such. It's not 'just a game.' :D

Really, I make a little money there!

Dennik
10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Just went there to check screenshots of the game. Wow... The avatars look like they were designed 7 years ago. :rolleyes:

byanfu
10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I have never really understood what is so interesting about second life. I downloaded it a few months ago and tried it out but besides exploring the low-poly environments and crafts that people have made I just didn't find it very exciting. Perhaps I wasn't in the right locations to find out where all the fun was. It seems to get a lot of press though and the virtual economy seems cool.

Obsydian
10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
They pretty much have places for everyone. Do a search and you may find a place designed for what you like. :)
Or learn to build, thats where I have fun and make my money.
It's always the first time there that's the hardest to find anything to do, sometimes you just have to give it time.

And the world, there are some very nice avatars out there. People will make and texture their own, and depending how they do, it can make it or break it.
If it looks TOO low poly, maybe the settings are to low in the prefrences?

joevance33
12-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Totally random - but i just noticed Wired animated their January cover image - found this on youtube - Wired 15.01: The Science of Human Enhancement
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jOmOKepfs)

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2006, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.