PDA

View Full Version : Wanna buy XSI

rago
10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi there,
I'm recently thinking of buying XSI, but I would like some help to get to final decision.
I'm mainly an industrial designer, so I would need a package that is able to model precisely, ( without having to hand out mathematic geometry though), and make nice presentations of my products.
And in my spare time I do like to make animations, character and others, so at least I could benefit of XSI animation tools.
Can XSI model precisely, I mean with math parameters?
Plus does someone of you know if it is possible to find the XSI mantra film?

Thanx ,

Rago.

JDex
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Can XSI model precisely, I mean with math parameters?

Yes... but you have to understand how it is done. There is no choosable measurement system, it's all one type of unit... this type of unit can stand for whatever you want. If the goal is to present or showcase industrial models, it's great... if you intend to have the models used to build the components, it's not the right tool.

NRG-Alpha
10-18-2006, 05:54 PM
If you are looking into an industrial modeller made for things like products , and it needs to be precise, I would recommend Rhino 3D ( http://www.rhino3d.com/ )

However, this is not for characters and animation and whatnot.. so you have to weight what is more important to you.. If the modelling is just to showcase a reasonably accurate look of the design you are after, as well as things like character modelling and animation in your spare time, then look no further.. XSI rocks the boat for that. But for strictly mathematically correct component modelling, I would go with Rhino.

Cheers,

NRG

BabeBro
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Would this help with the mesurement issue? http://www.joellongie.com/xsilength/

mocaw
10-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree with NRG_Alpha. Don't waste you time, this is what Rhino is all about and it REALLY shines. Where I went to school the ID department used it almost exclusivly along side PRO-E and solid works, but most of the students and teachers found that 99% of their work could be completed in Rhino and if need be rendered in another application (though for somethings you could just use Rhino). I might be a little bias since my highschool CAD teacher later went on to be the West coast rep. for McNeel and Rhino!

In a perfect world you'd get each program, even just Rhino and Foundation and be set.

Again, if absolute perfect models are not needed to be used as actual prototypes etc. then you'll be just fine with XSI alone after you figure out if you want 1 XSI unit to be 1 inch, cm...foot...

http://www.rhino3d.com/

3DDave
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
If you can live with 95% accuracy then XSI or any other 3D modeler will work. If not then a solid modeler is a better choice. You can also use a 2D cad package and bring in drawings as flat poly chains and use those. I have done lots of that for animation and print work for mechanical products.

rago
10-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanx everyone for their help,

NRG_Alpha I already use rhino for really precise modeling, but I wanted something to build environments in a more intuitive manner and a good renderer which XSI seems provided with.

BabeBro thanx but I live in Italy and we have the metrical system:(

Is their any example of product design visualization I can look at?
How about the old mantra animation is their some link where I can find it?

Thanx to all,

Rago.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 08:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.