PDA

View Full Version : IGN Editorial: Nintendo Wii Wins and Losses

ParamountCell
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Makes some pretty interesting points.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US, October 17, 2006 - It seems like an eternity, but by the end of the week Nintendo fans will have less than a month to wait for Nintendo's new generation Wii console. Bearing that in mind, IGN Wii's editor-in-chief, Matt Casamassina, takes an analytical view of what the company has done right and wrong with regard to the platform so far in a piece we've dubbed Nintendo Wii Wins and Losses. More (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/739/739662p1.html)

psyop63b
10-19-2006, 01:33 AM
"Loss: Decidedly Un-Mainstream $250 Price Tag and Expensive Controllers"

If a Wii controller is $39.99, and a controller for the 360 costs $39.99, (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802112) (same goes for PS3 (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802541)) where is the complaint? Should Nintendo be scorned for creating party games now?

barto9
10-19-2006, 03:10 AM

If a Wii controller is $39.99, and a controller for the 360 costs $39.99, (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802112) (same goes for PS3 (http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802541)) where is the complaint? Should Nintendo be scorned for creating party games now?

thats what i was thinking...when you get a console you usually get a game and perhaps another controller. that goes for the 360 PS3 and the Wii.

RuinedMessiah
10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
You know, this article is, for the most part, ignoring some of the biggest issues I have with the system. It even takes the time to throw a jab or two at the competition. It's a very pro-nintendo article, and yet people seem to find a reason to bitch.

Nintendo has been hyping the affordability of the Wii for quite some time and even focusing on the "party-centric" aspect of the console. This is not debatable. This is quote for quote, Nintendo propoganda spread by Reggie himself. Consider it facts, babies. Wii was supposed to spit in the eye of the expensive console by delivering a slightly hyped up Gamecube at an affordable price to make it's market debut a mainstream thing. Not to mention the promise of "affordable and casual friendly software."

And at the end of the day, what we get is a console that is $50 MORE than the Gamecube was at launch, dramatically underpowered compared to it's market brethren, and controllers that are sold in two pieces and manage to become triple the price of Gamecube controllers at launch. And the software? There are new games being released on Xbox 360 that are $10 cheaper than Wii software.

Face it, the Nintendo price thing was a lie. It is beyond the casual gamers price mark. The price mark they should have hit? $200. That was the price when Xbox and PS2 saw sales spikes through the roof (seriously, PS2... 5 million.. one month... US alone). For me, the games I want are delayed with the main thing being offered up is a Zelda game that's been delayed on the Gamecube just so it could push Wii and a system launching with, largely, nothing isn't really worth the $250 (where is my Mario or SSB?). And this is a guy buying a PS3 (then again, that, plus licensing a game engine, could be the major drains on my money flow that stops me). Right now, all Wii looks like to me is Gamecube and PS2 ports with a new controller or games with a simple concept disguised as a full game. If it was $200 and the controllers were cheaper, I'd snag it at launch. But without Mario, I don't see a reason to buy a Wii. Especially when most unbiased articles state Zelda controls better on a Gamecube controller than a Wiimote (of course I lose Widescreen mode which is yet another dick move by Nintendo to Gamecube owners).

NanoGator
10-19-2006, 03:47 PM

I think the complaint orbits around the idea that you'll also need the $20 nunchuck for each remote.

I found their logic a little baffling, though. "The Wii's just as expensive as the PS3 if you purchase 4 controllers!" Um.. yeah.. buy a PS3 with four controllers. Heh.

RuinedMessiah
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Granted, price comparisons between the Wii and 360/PS3 shouldn't be made, period. So I agree with Nano there.

OneSharpMarble
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the complaint orbits around the idea that you'll also need the $20 nunchuck for each remote.

I found their logic a little baffling, though. "The Wii's just as expensive as the PS3 if you purchase 4 controllers!" Um.. yeah.. buy a PS3 with four controllers. Heh.

What they are getting at is Wii is focused on party games where you need more than one controller so it really isn't optional to buy the extra controllers whereas the PS3 is designed more for a single player experience.

Wait till the prices go down for anything you buy, by then better games will be out anyways.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM

As much as it pains me to say this (being a Nintendo fan boy :D)nobody is likely to need to buy PS3 pads...they will probably have lots of PS2 pads already. They can be used and are fairly similar. So with the one wireless that ships with the console,and are there two slots for pads? That makes 3. A bit short of the capability of 7 but...

ParamountCell
10-19-2006, 05:42 PM
As much as it pains me to say this (being a Nintendo fan boy :D)nobody is likely to need to buy PS3 pads...they will probably have lots of PS2 pads already. They can be used and are fairly similar. So with the one wireless that ships with the console,and are there two slots for pads? That makes 3. A bit short of the capability of 7 but...

Good point, the thing is the dual shock doesnt have motions sensing capabilities, and the sixaxis does. So playing the dual shock wouldnt work well on ps3 games that require a motion sensing controller. But like you said it would be a good for those games that do not require motion sensing. That i guess would be the same for the wii ,gc controller, and the wavebird, the gc controller, and wavebird are still pretty cheap so a wii owner can use those for games that dont require the motion sensing.:)

However somebody may say, the wii is focused around this new type of innovative gameplay, it will have more games that require motion sensing. But wont the ps3 have more motion sensing games as time goes on? I think the reason that they may not have many motion sensing games at launch is because the sixaxis was only created recently, but as time goes on developers may have a chance to start adding this to ps3 games. Or sony would have to retract on that gimmick statement they made at e3.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Good point, the thing is the dual shock doesnt have motions sensing capabilities, and the sixaxis does. So playing the dual shock wouldnt work well on ps3 games that require a motion sensing controller. But like you said it would be a good for those games that do not require motion sensing. That i guess would be the same for the wii ,gc controller, and the wavebird, the gc controller, and wavebird are still pretty cheap so a wii owner can use those for games that dont require the motion sensing.:)

However somebody may say, the wii is focused around this new type of innovative gameplay, it will have more games that require motion sensing. But wont the ps3 have more motion sensing games as time goes on? I think the reason that they may not have many motion sensing games at launch is because the sixaxis was only created recently, but as time goes on developers may have a chance to start adding this to ps3 games. Or sony would have to retract on that gimmick statement they made at e3.

I made that stament because I believe that only about 15%-20% of all PS3 games ever will use motion sensing to a degree worth mentioning (and I may be generous even at that figure) so the PS2 dual shocks are more than adequate; whereas I feel that it is not the same situation with the wavebirds or standard GC pads because I believe 90% of all Wii games ever made will require the Wiimote...so I think the PS3 is still going to be a little more multiplayer friendly 'out of the box' so to speak.

Mind you, people on here are talking about buying a number of nun-chuks...I dunno where you guys get the money but I don't buy pads in case friends come over...they bring their own with them!! :D

Plus the general figure of 7 is pretty decent...I can see seven people in a room. What is the limit of the Wii?

On a side note, I picked up a HMV pamphlet today and apparently we will be getting Metroid 3 and Super Smash Bros at launch! :D :D :D

:rolleyes: I wish idiots would do their research properly, seeing things like that in print is embarrasing. As are the ridiculously low prices for the Wii console and games some christmas temp quoted me when I pre-ordered mine two days ago. :D

RuinedMessiah
10-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Hasn't Metroid 3 been delayed by at LEAST a year? Don't know for certain.... not exactly up and up on Wii news (in my group of gamer friends, I'm following PS3 news, one follows 360, another follows Wii, and a final one follows tabletop). But as I said, the moment Mario drops, Wii will bii Mine.

On a side note, I didn't think you could plug Dual Shocks into PS3. I could be wrong though but I don't think they're on the console and the memory card dongle only connects a memory card.

Having said that, while I can definately see a whole lot of Sixaxis support in the future, we're seeing a lot of it right now. But be that as it may, I hope Ken Kuturugi holds true to his word that it IS a feature you can disable, if you choose. Some games, I'd want it. Other games, I'm not so sure. Like I eagerly await how SixAxis could help with the targeting issue in the Armored Core series but I'm not exactly eager for the day dodges on Tekken mean tilting the controller.

havokzprodigy
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
That ps3 tilt controller is so new and innovative.:rolleyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdMCVAkQM0o
Title of video is misleading. It's not a PS3 controller.

Squash-n-Stretch
10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
That ps3 tilt controller is so new and innovative.:rolleyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdMCVAkQM0o
Title of video is misleading. It's not a PS3 controller.

Wish I'd had that for my PSOne. Why do fat nerds get to have all the fun??

RuinedMessiah
10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Heh, on a side note, get a preview of Zelda and Red Steel today at your local arcade.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UACTVvaM8Qc

hiphopcr
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Consider it facts, babies.
Haha, this is the best line I've read this week.

RuinedMessiah
10-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Damn, removed from context like that... it sounds rather childish. Or maybe I've been listening to too much Teddybears when Big Daddy Boastin uses the term "That's right, my babies."

Note to anyone reading this thread, that's meant as a jest... not as an insult.

..almost sounds like Angelica from Rugrats...

Geta-Ve
10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I think it is actually unfair for anyone to be comparing prices of the Wii with the Xbox, considering the xbox came out last year so it has had time for price drops. Sure the Wii will be 100 dollars cheaper in a year as well so I don't see the problem.

If you compare the Wii with ps3 and xbox360 launch prices the Wii is difinitively cheaper.

Of course I don't really like the fact that there are no nunchuk/wiimote bundles considering most games have you use both at the same time.

Other than that I think I agree with pretty much all else the editor had to say. When I pick up my Wii on the 19th the only games I will be getting are zelda, rayman, and perhaps monkeyball. Then it is the wait for Mario and metroid.. mmmm.

I know there is alot of hype for red steel but in my opinion that game looks like alot of garbage.

Oh and for those saying the Wii is an enhanced GC, actually it is more along the lines of an enhanced Xbox (original obviously) spec wise (this is what I have read)

NanoGator
10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Heh. The PS3 controllers are $49.

psyop63b
10-20-2006, 03:42 PM

Ah, I did not realize that about the extra attachment. That certainly makes a fully-outfitted Wiimote 50% more expensive than the other guys.

99% of the time you're playing solo. I don't see any reason to buy controllers for 4 people just for when you have guests over, regardless of what system you own. If you and your buddies all have Wii's at home, why not just bring your controller with you to the party?

Problem solved :D.

hiphopcr
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
99% of the time you're playing solo.
Not necessarily, I only play games with friends. And Nintendo is definitely hoping this will turn into the family fun box.

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.