PDA

View Full Version : Official: Proper Linux OS on PS3

quyeno
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68795

"Terra Soft's Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 will be released for PlayStation 3 in mid-November, the company announced this week.
Yes, this means you'll be able to use your PlayStation 3 as a computer as well as all the things Sony's already offering - and it's all done with the platform holder's backing too."

Could have potential for a mod community for the ps3 :)

UrbanFuturistic
10-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Stage 1.7.72.61036178 in the plan for world domination has been enacted :twisted:

mwuahahaha.

Mwuahahahaha!

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*cough*cough* *ack* *damn cigarettes*!!!

Apoclypse
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
The cool thing is that its using enlightenment as its window manager. E-17 lets the platform run on quite a few backends without having to run X. Most notably the gl backend. I'm worried that the project is still not ready, but I guess the more it gets used the more it will get developers. With a real linux distro company backing it up I can see it become more powerful. The thing I like about enlightenment is that its a framework and it can be almost anything you want it to be. I personally don't like the start menu like thingy but there is nothing stopping you from writing your own module.

Fredl
10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
It comes with the Firefox web browser, and also the Open Office (office suite). It would be strange to do word processing and spreadsheets on a PS3!

pixelmonk
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
does it work without screwing up your existing PS3 config? For instance, can you boot to linux, geek out, then restart into PS3 and play some half nekkid beach volleyball game? Can u attach a keyboard and mouse to the PS3 for better geekability? More importantly, have they tried running a Maya render node off this beotch!

EnlightenedPixel
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Linux + Blender + Yafaray + Cell Processor = Rendertime?

If only they allowed for a ram upgrade to 2 gigs.

spikkel
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
But would our normal processor programs(like Maya, XSI, combustion and stuff) work on a cell processor though? Hmm...

tikal26
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I can't find it right now, but I remember not long ago there was some word about work on the maxwell render for cell processor. I can't find the post right now but I'll keep on looking for it.
The first tihngs we will see would be open source application since they are open source (whoa that is such a smart comment) but it would be worth to see once it comes out what will happen

Lyr
10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Link to offical Terrasoft press relase (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml)

This kicks ass.

pgp_protector
10-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Stage 1.7.72.61036178 in the plan for world domination has been enacted :twisted:

mwuahahaha.

Mwuahahahaha!

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*cough*cough* *ack* *damn cigarettes*!!!

yea, but that's out of 100 Stages :D

pixelmonk
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Link to offical Terrasoft press relase (http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml)

This kicks ass.

do they mention cost?

PhilOsirus
10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
For whoever asked, you are supposed to be able to use a keyboard and mouse with the PS3 straight out of the box (important considering you have a web browser included). This was mentionned before a few times in interviews and articles.

Lyr
10-19-2006, 12:34 AM
do they mention cost?

They don't the mention price for the PS3 Yellow Dog Linux specifically, but on thier site they list the price for Yellow Dog Linux at $49.95 with no online install support.

About mouse and keyboard, the PS3 is bluetooth enabled so you can have wireless keyboard and mouse, or you can use one of the usb ports to plug in your mouse and keyboard.

shehbahn
10-19-2006, 01:32 AM
>But would our normal processor programs(like Maya, XSI, combustion and stuff) work on a cell processor though?

not unless :
- Autodesk recompiles Maya
- this distro comes with an x86 emulator

and since there's a conspicuous lack of mention of GL drivers, Firefox is probably as close as you'll get to 3D...

tozz
10-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Hopefully this will enable developers to create a more or less awesome htpc unit ^^

I would purchase it for $500 just to get a powerful htpc with hdmi output, that it's actually cheap compared to buying a similarly speced pc :)

Ghostscape
10-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Considering the console already uses Sony-flavored linux as a backend, and some intrepid "homebrew" crew would probably spend every waking moment trying to get a full fledged linux install on it to play "legally backed up images" :rolleyes: I guess this just expedites the process.

Now when they've got stable DVMR software working on this thing that will automatically send the files to my PC so I don't fill the tiny hard drive up with Adult Swim, then I'll be interested :D

Lyr
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Now when they've got stable DVMR software working on this thing that will automatically send the files to my PC so I don't fill the tiny hard drive up with Adult Swim, then I'll be interested :D

The hard drive in the ps3 is user replaceable, so you can upgrade to a much larger capacity to fit your needs if you choose.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.