PDA

View Full Version : SGI exits bankruptcy protection (ZDNET)

UrbanFuturistic
10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Silicon Graphics exited Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday with a new board of directors and new funding to try to restore its faltering high-end computer business.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company, once a Silicon Valley icon, eliminated its long-term debt and raised $115 million to help it through the transition out of bankruptcy protection. The funding arrangements, through Morgan Stanley Senior Funding and General Electric Capital, also include an $85 million loan and a $30 million revolving line of credit, the company said.(more (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6126892.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed))

Obligatory character count.

EDIT:The Register's take (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/18/sgi_out/), with a link to what's happened to all the MIPS/IRIX stock (http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/destruction.html). Shame really.

CaptainObvious
10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
So now what?

Obraxis
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
They should get back to doing what they used to do best. Make cool Uber designed desirable workstations at an attractive price.

SpaceRabbit
10-18-2006, 02:02 PM
SGI never made workstations at a "Desirable" price point. If they had, I doubt they would have gone through all this.

Howitzer
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Indeed. But at least now they have the chance to try again. I've always wanted an SGI system but man they are expensive. A lot of software vendors have stopped developing for it... making such a purchase even less productive. Their only chance to compete is to price their hardware and software competitively with other much more popular options.

Oh... or they can begin enforcing patents.:eek:

almux
10-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Indeed. But at least now they have the chance to try again. I've always wanted an SGI system but man they are expensive. A lot of software vendors have stopped developing for it... making such a purchase even less productive. Their only chance to compete is to price their hardware and software competitively with other much more popular options.

It took years for Macintosh to get out of the elite-niche-luxury myth... And SGI has no iPod to stream in fresh means to poor out new hardware with impressive cutted prices...
Yes, SGI was really producing dreamy machines... But I'm affraid the hard times aren't completely over yet.

One idea would be to write an OS wich could virtualize any other. With a crossplatform system that could natively open any existant soft, SGI could make a real come back, for sure!

cresshead
10-18-2006, 03:31 PM
this is good news..we need such inovative companies to drive technology forward...

i have 2 of their computers btw a silicon grpahics workstation 320 and a sgi 230...both still working and both recently used to help render out scenes from 3dsmax for a freelance gig

nice pc's..well built too....remember one of them is 7 years old!

neuromancer1978
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I love SGI's, always wanted one since the Indy. However since they are so expensive it's impossible to do so. Even if I bought an old machine on Ebay, I would be forking over a couple hundred for something like an O2. Someday though....

But I don't see how this will help SGI, after all most pro studios have abandoned them for Linux and Windows workstations. Even NASA. Unless they change their ways, I don't see SGI making any sort of impact on the market any time soon.

UrbanFuturistic
10-18-2006, 04:25 PM
But I don't see how this will help SGI, after all most pro studios have abandoned them for Linux and Windows workstations.Ya need to read the articles, then reply :p

neuromancer1978
10-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Ya need to read the articles, then reply :p

ick...sorry my bad

"In addition, the company has pared down its product line, dropping machines using its MIPS processors and Irix operating system (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6045642.html?tag=nl) and focusing on those using Intel Xeon and Itanium processors and the Linux operating system instead."

mummey
10-18-2006, 07:04 PM

1. Those patents are probably at least a decade old.

2. The much of the intellectual property was sold to MS a few years back.

CaptainObvious
10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
So they'll become Boxx, only with more colorful boxes? Well, color me uninterested!

cresshead
10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
we need companies that INVENT new technology like that of sgi...so colour me VERY interested indeed...
not just a 'box mover' like dell or boxx but a company that creates new capabilities or totally new technologies..pushing the boundries not just pushing out cheap cloned boxes.

mummey
10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
we need companies that INVENT new technology like that of sgi...so colour me VERY interested indeed...
not just a 'box mover' like dell or boxx but a company that creates new capabilities or totally new technologies..pushing the boundries not just pushing out cheap cloned boxes.

You mean like Apple? ;)

cresshead
10-19-2006, 06:38 PM
err.. no.

sgi invented open gl....
sgi owned and developed maya
sgi invented thier OWN cpu chips...64bit chips.....not bought them from ibm or motorola like apple..
sgi invented their own graphics pipline..256bits wide in 1997...probably even earlier...cobalt crossbar architcture
sgi invented a whole bunch of super computers
sgi invented the super fast fibre optic

sgi WAS the film indusdtry fx provider...nothing else could run flame inferno etc...

apple is about 'design' they don't make their own chips/graphics cards...they even borrow from other people's operating systems...don't get me wrong apple are pretty good but they provide the pretty face to computing..sgi MADE THINGS WORK...

Kai01W
10-19-2006, 06:54 PM
You mean like Apple? ;)
Huh? Hardwarewise Apple is just another Box pusher these days.

-k

Autarkis
10-19-2006, 06:58 PM
A leaner, not as overpriced SGI machine running a linux flavor, with maya linux on it would be definitely attractive to many of us I think.
I'll keep an eye on its future, and pray that they can pull it off, it will be most likely a very interesting shuffling of the current marketplace for higher end work if they do.

However I'm not too sure what the writer of the article means by SGI wants to appeal to a great market than it used to. Well I know what they mean by that, but can the SGI brand evoke the same feeling in a regular consumer as it does for researchers, scientists, and us?

Bring on new awesome techs though SGI, you can do it :)

SpaceRabbit
10-19-2006, 07:29 PM
1. SGI Bought Maya when the bought Alias, who had previously purchased Wavefront. Maya is a culmination of parts of PowerAnimator and Wavefronts suite of products (Visualizer, Kinemation, Dynamation etc.).

2. MIPS Created SGI's chips, which SGI later on bought and absorbed into themselves.

3. Cobalt Crossbar Architecture I believe came from thier acquisition of Cray around 1996ish I think it was. I know thier "numaflex" backbone came from this. Around this time is when you saw the large SGI "Cluster" systems come about.

SGI was an innovator, and still is (more in super computer/server/storage solutions now). The reality of the situation for SGI is that they lost the desktop/workstation market for Digital Content creation. The pricepoint for workstations in this market is so low now that thier solutions have not been competitive for performance versus the dollar. I think this is why they have been focusing on thier larger super computing markets in the last 7 years where users need to push huge amounts of data of massively fast buses.

I would love however for SGI to simply design desktop cases. I had an Indigo, and an Indigo II. Both beautiful machines.

err.. no.

sgi invented open gl....
sgi invented thier OWN cpu chips...64bit chips.....not bought them from ibm or motorola like apple..
sgi invented their own graphics pipline..256bits wide in 1997...probably even earlier...cobalt crossbar architcture

sgi WAS the film indusdtry fx provider...nothing else could run flame inferno etc...

apple is about 'design' they don't make their own chips/graphics cards...they even borrow from other people's operating systems...don't get me wrong apple are pretty good but they provide the pretty face to computing..sgi MADE THINGS WORK...

cresshead
10-19-2006, 07:34 PM
basically sgi are cool...though i do wish they'd go back to calling themselves 'silicon graphics' rather than sgi!

apple are cool too...but are not great inventors...have a look/try with their mighty mouse...gotta be the worst mouse i ever owned!...and DON'T use....ever!

CaptainObvious
10-19-2006, 08:28 PM
err.. no.

sgi invented open gl....

And they never learned that it sometimes is better to improve the wheel, rather than reinvent it... ;)

And yeah, the Mighty Mouse is awful. You can right click without lifting your index from the LMB, otherwise it registers as a left click. How retarded is that?

cresshead
10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah you improve and refine the steam engine so it's the VERY best steam engine...whilst someone else dumps old tech and goes and invent the petrol engine...!

or the airplane....

or the helicpoter...

or the hovercraft...

or the space rocket...

or the orbiting telescope...

or active optics...
this is of course just an example...but you get my meaning yeah?

you can only improve and refine to a certain degree before you runout of refinments
...it's still worth doing for sure but at somepoint you need a forward thingking company to 'move forward' and not just polish a old idea to death!

3DDave
10-19-2006, 08:43 PM
err.. no.

sgi invented open gl....

SGI didn't create Maya on their own, Alias and Wavefront were a major part of that.

http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/tree/ani-software.html#aliasresearch

SGI purchased MIPS in 1992.
SGI purchased CRAY in 1996 and sold it in 2000.
SGI and Microsoft partnered in 1998 to develop NT computer.

SGI may have created some great technologies and bought or co-developed others, but companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI and Microsoft brought these technologies to the masses at a low cost. When PC's costed $4000 an SGI system costed $400,000! Why wasn't SGI at least able to see that they needed to make a lower cost product for consumers to stay in business for the long run. Its probably just a matter of time before they are consumed for their intellectual property and not the products they make.

fahr
10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
What I would love to see is a turnkey solution for Linux in a pretty, SGI designed case. The biggest thing that keeps me from Linux is my inability to make a standard ATI or NVIDIA card use openGL. That.. and I cant get a wacom tablet working either.

Conversely, I bought an an old SGI Octane to play with, and, right off the bat, the hardware worked perfectly with IRIX. Maya installed and ran right off the bat. Man I wish I could do this with Linux. A linux powered SGI would be attractive to me if they tuned it for DCC.

Er... does any other manufaturer already do this?

3DDave
10-20-2006, 12:02 AM
HP has turnkey Linux boxes.

Tarrbot
10-20-2006, 02:23 AM
The problem that sgi faced was its own inability to see the burgeoning power of PCs and their continual development in every aspect of the system. This, while bringing concepts to workstations that were normally reserved for supercomputers. That's the boggling part.

What irks me about sgi is that they had the entire 3D world in their grasp yet slowly pissed it away. I work in an environment that has about 1400 UNIX workstations for 3D at the facilities I work in. Nearly all of them were sgi at one point in time. Now, I had to toss one of the last remaining sgi boxes (an Indigo2) and am about to bring down an Origin 2000 server and toss it because they are deemed worthless.

Sadly, no one even knew the Origin was even in the server room at the small facility I'm talking about as it's been collecting dust in the corner for some time.

There are no sgis at the corporate headquarters anywhere, server or workstation.

It's all HP C3750s and C8000s now with a smattering of C3600s. Personally, I think CDE is fugly. Functional, but fugly.

Companies like nVidia wouldn't exist today if it weren't for sgi as a lot of its engineers were originally 3dfx engineers who were ex-sgi engineers.

I only have 3 sgi machines at home. Sadly, all three are turned off at the moment although it's getting toward winter and I turn one or two of them on to heat my office.

TumikSmacker
10-20-2006, 02:40 AM
It took years for Macintosh to get out of the elite-niche-luxury myth... And SGI has no iPod to stream in fresh means to poor out new hardware with impressive cutted prices...
Yes, SGI was really producing dreamy machines... But I'm affraid the hard times aren't completely over yet.

One idea would be to write an OS wich could virtualize any other. With a crossplatform system that could natively open any existant soft, SGI could make a real come back, for sure!

I think they're still under that myth...

EnlightenedPixel
10-20-2006, 05:03 AM
I think they're still under that myth...
its not so much a myth, as it is their own marketing theme.

mummey
10-20-2006, 05:39 AM
I think many of you forget (or never realized) how much SGI pissed people off back in the day. There was a time when smaller firms would hide their technology just so SGI wouldn't rip it off of them.

SGI also _loved_ thier high margins. The other companies (3dfx, nvidia, ATi, 3DLabs) began to succeed even with lesser products because companies were tired of putting up with the bs from SGI.

When the bubble burst in 2000, SGI suddenly got caught with their pants down. The number of firms looking to do 3D dropped, and of those who remained, most had decided to look elseware.

cresshead
10-20-2006, 07:41 AM
but they're still cool!:thumbsup:

CaptainObvious
10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Conversely, I bought an an old SGI Octane to play with, and, right off the bat, the hardware worked perfectly with IRIX. Maya installed and ran right off the bat. Man I wish I could do this with Linux. A linux powered SGI would be attractive to me if they tuned it for DCC.
I'd be happy enough if it was that simple with Windows! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.