PDA

View Full Version : splitting objects in animation

Borgus
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi!
I have an urgent problem...
I have a polygon-object (a package) and need to tear it open during an animation.
BUT: When i start with start with two objects (the original object splitted) a shading-edge
occurs at the border. :( (how can I get rid or it??)
Then I tryed to solve the ploblem with shape-animation but i doesn't work because the
splitted object has one edgeloop more then the original object..
Do you have any ideas for this ploblem?

hope u understand the issue!!

borgus

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Can you swap objects out?

Or how about toon shading it :rolleyes: .. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=162800&page=10&pp=15 (my message at the end...)

Borgus
10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
What do you mean with "swap out"?
I've finally found a solution...I just take the hole object and aply two shaders to the
obect. the desired shader to one side of the opening-edge and a fully transperent constant-shader to other site. After that I duplicate the object and exchange the shader-sides. thats the way i achive two objects which are blended together to a single
object (without unwanted shading-edge) and are animatable for itselfs.
It's not very propper, but I think I have no choice....
But I'm still open for other ideas!!

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
By swap out, I meant creating 2 copies: 1 whole, 1 split. When you need it to tear, exchange the visibilities.. Will that work?

Or could you paint it FX Tree or AfterEffects?

Borgus
10-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes, i would work...but i don't need an opening animation from one frame to the next but a
slow spreat of the two halfs...
One idea of mine was to build e.g. ten package-models, each opend a bit wider and control
the visibility with a script. but thats too stupid, when my boss comes and says "hey, a little bit faster/slower". But: thanks for your help!

Overpainting works, too. (but isn't a good approach, or?)

Sbowling
10-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Have you tried an animated boolean to split the object? I'm not exactly sure what you need but this may work.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 02:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.