PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting my global srt-offsets my animation

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Hi all,

I'm having a problem that I'm not sure about... I was trying to animate my character in place (treadmill style), so that I could move a null around my scene to get him to walk around. Problem is, my global srt node (which is located under my model node, and above all my other controllers (hips, feet,etc)) isn't positioned directly under my character. It's behind and under him. So I thought I could turn on constraint and child compensation, and adjust the null. When I move to the next frame, all of the animation is offset, as if I didn't have the compensation on.... Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I also tried to set a new neutral pose, and set a keyframe, but that didn't fix it..

Originally, I animated him walking forward in space. I tried tagging the hips and feet, and Biped-Define step marks, but didn't see that that did anything-didn't see any step marks... I realize that my feet will probably slide somewhat, but I'm not too concerned.. It's only for a Halloween personal project-nothing that will be aired.

So, any ideas why I can't adjust my global srt node without offsetting my child nodes?

http://static.flickr.com/103/272814450_0a3a80dc4f_o_d.jpg

misterdi
10-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Quick and dirty solution,

1. Create a null, match it transform to globalSRT.
2. Parent it under globalSRT,
3. Reparent everything that exists under globalSRT to this null.
4. Toggle on Child Compensation, and move your globalSRT anywhere you want.

How it works?, since all animation are stored in local kinematics, when you move the parent the global transform will be calculated by considering the parent transform, that's why it follow where ever you move the parent.

By inserting another null which will act as parent of the animated component, it will use same parent transform, and since this null is not animated, offseting this one to the globalSRT will not changed in time.

This is a quick and dirty way to handle such situation, maybe some other TD doesn't like this solution, but for me it's the easiest way to handle such situation. Animators always give headache for TDs.

Regards,

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Fantastic! :bounce: :bounce:

The trick is to match all transforms of the parent (Null_Global_SRT in my case). Otherwise it's offset. After adding my null_offset, I was able to reposition the GSR!

Drew out a curve, constrained the GRST to the path, and now I might actually finish this project!

Here's a WIP for ya, though. Appreciate the help!

http://static.flickr.com/94/272968880_9b98cb2e00_o_d.jpg

misterdi
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Glad to hear that it help.

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.