PDA

View Full Version : Proxy objects?

MJV
10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
I remember there is some way to create selection proxies or instances that you can place anywhere in the hierarchy, and when selected will select the actual object. They are denoted by their name being in italics. They aren't actually instances though, they are just for selecting the original. What are these objects called and how do I make them? I searched the documentation but came up dry.

skuby
10-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm a bit green myself but is it possible they were just Null objects (get>primitive>null) which are parented or otherwise constrained to the actual geometry?

PureMoxi
10-18-2006, 01:51 AM
I cannot remember how to do that method as I have not used it that much. But a work around that would achieve what I think your goal is...would be to make a group and place the specific object that you would like to select "remotely" and add it to that group. The "group" option is under the Edit menu on the right side of the screen if you are in the default layout for XSI.

Another option would be to select the object and then go to the script editor, copy the code and make a button that you can just click on to pick the object. If this one interests you, I could likely be more detailed in a reply later but it requires a little more explanation...

HOpe that helps...

misterdi
10-18-2006, 05:27 AM
I remember there is some way to create selection proxies or instances that you can place anywhere in the hierarchy, and when selected will select the actual object. They are denoted by their name being in italics. They aren't actually instances though, they are just for selecting the original. What are these objects called and how do I make them? I searched the documentation but came up dry.

Do you mean Groups?

This is from online docs
Grouping Objects

You can organize 3D objects, cameras, and lights into groups for the purpose of selection, applying operations, assigning properties and shaders, and attaching local materials and textures. Creating groups means that you donít need to reselect the same set of objects each time you want to work with them.

With Grouping, it doesn't effect the hierarchy of the objects, it somewhat similar with Quick Selection Set in Maya.

Regards,

T4D
10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Lightwave like Proxy picker or whatever isn't needed in XSI
becasue you have shadow Display items for most items Bones, Nulls etc

open the display options for the item you want to animate and turn off the Primary display options ( you may want to leave it on ? ) But change the shadow Display to arrow rings or whatever then change the Position to where you want it to be.

the shadow will always select the Main control because it is the main control :)

Now I think there's another way ( think if you want the control item that's NOT to following the Main item) not sure why your need it But I'm think it may come up,.. maybe ??:shrug:

well then i think you could get into to data maps or scripted operator or a override..?? just guessing really. I havn't needed to go that far in to XSI yet, the shadows display feature works for me :thumbsup:

grouping is not really the same thing For me, i like to put as many controls etc ON the character IN the interface ( and have a display ON/off switch )
Menu's off to the side are for Morphs and poses etc. selecting single items from a menu is messy.

dwigfor
10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
I didn't think he was talking about groups at first, but the names are in italics... So maybe that is what you are looking for....

misterdi
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
At first I also think about Shadow icon (or Selection handle in Maya), but when I read about putting anywhere in hierarchy and it's italized, I figure that MJV might want to have the objects in groups so it will be easier to search in the explorer.

Looking for an object (that might be hidden in viewports), buried in several level deep in hierarchy is not fun for user.

Putting this object in a group, will somewhat flatten the hierarchy and with a good grouping plan it will increase productivity.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Regards,

T4D
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
don't get me wrong I love groups and i used them for every thing in XSI.
everything you key in a rig has to be in a group or groups.
they are a MUST USES Feature. not only for rigging but at every stage and every job in XSI.

But i only used them on top of the main interface for rigs.

Now shadow items fixes the Messy hierarchy
Exsample -
in the spline ( let say it's FK just to keep thing simple ) you turn off the display options on all the bones you don't want to see or hide them.

add shadow bones to the animation controls and move them all a good 300 units behide the character . make everything so much better =)

and you don't have any editing or changes or breaking that Proxy picker used to give you LW.

MJV
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes, it was groups I was looking for. I would have never guessed it was groups though because my normal idea of grouping is much different. Thanks everyone. Shadow items sound useful too.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.