PDA

View Full Version : Dog Fight Series for History Channel

SunDog101
10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
This was originally posted by Proton on the Lightwave forums at Newtek & SpinQuad. I thought I would post it here so others could check it out. I remember seeing job postings looking for Lightwavers to work on this just a few months ago but it looks like it's finally coming out now! Here is a link to a clip of it http://a614.g.akamai.net/f/614/2201/30m/aetn.download.akamai.com/2201/thc_broadband/publish/dogfights_bts_broadband.swf

Looks like it was all done with Lightwave by some very talented artists that really know thier airplanes.

pixelmonk
10-17-2006, 07:37 PM
This was originally posted by Proton on the Lightwave forums at Newtek & SpinQuad. I thought I would post it here so others could check it out. I remember seeing job postings looking for Lightwavers to work on this just a few months ago but it looks like it's finally coming out now! Here is a link to a clip of it http://a614.g.akamai.net/f/614/2201/30m/aetn.download.akamai.com/2201/thc_broadband/publish/dogfights_bts_broadband.swf

Looks like it was all done with Lightwave by some very talented artists that really know thier airplanes.

pretty cool stuff! It's great to see quality LW stuff still being cranked out.

RobertoOrtiz
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Cool!

Thanks for posting.

-R

Ed Bittner
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Way cool. ( I wish they would be careful with some of those lens flares though).

E.

SunDog101
10-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I just found out that Newtek has posted an interview with Jason McKinley the owner of Radical 3D for anyone who wants to read more about it. http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profiles/Dogfight/

MrPositive
10-18-2006, 05:22 AM
It's like you took the cool part of Flyboys (the cgi dogfights) and dumped the story and added real history. I'm in.

AndyL
10-18-2006, 05:48 AM
It has been a blast working on it so far, cant wait till it starts airing. :)

bmcaff
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
wow, makes me wish I had the history channel.. hopefully this will make its way to DVD soon.

dandod
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
This was just the introduction to the behind-the-scenes footage. Future installments will feature more clips of us talking about how we set up several of the shots... at least I hope so! They shot enough of it. :thumbsup:

Ed -- Those lens flares weren't put in by us. We know better. ;)

Mojo Rizen
10-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I did catch part of the 4 dogfight two hour show and was very impressed. As a CGer and fan of aviation I thought it was great. It reminded me of the war bird flyovers at EAA every year.

pete.cook
10-19-2006, 08:19 AM
This has been in the pipeline for some time. We had a discussion on it over at Military Meshes. A lot of the guys over there are real aviation buffs, like Skyraider3D. Many of the guys thought it was good for a TV show, but the rendering, unrealistic animation and the accuracy of the meshes used left a bit to be desired.

Still be interesting to watch though.

Mojo Rizen
11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
The Flying Tigers are scheduled for tonight. I an really looking forward to this. You get the chance to get the feeling of history first hand.

I’ve enjoyed the comparison of the plans featured in the dog fight. Strengths and weaknesses. The tactic wire frame of the background and the arrows showing the tactics they could choose, then putting it all together.

I have friends in the Air Force and ties to the Air Force in the past and we have talked about dog fighting and other activities in the past, this show just fits into many of our past conversations.

Keep it up.

Mojo Rizen
12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
For those that are working on this project I just wanted to let you know I’ve turned on a few more people in our office to Dog Fights.

This is now my son’s (8 year old second grader) top show. We sit down on Friday night with my “complete book of fighters” and some diecast models and watch each new show. As a Dad I’m glad to hear him say “I wish Dog Fights was on every night”

When he had trouble understanding what is meant by getting on someone’s six o'clock I grabbed a wrist watch and a diecast and did a little explaining.

I know the History Channel sells episodes, but see what you can do about making a season one box set. I know a few people that would buy it in a heartbeat.

XLNT-3d
12-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I got a peep of it. My kid just got into the whole dogfighting thing thanks to Blazing Angels. This Christmas was a Star Wars/WWII fighter plane them. I don't think I influenced him :twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2006, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.