PDA

View Full Version : Vectorised Mecha

Commander Falk
02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Hi !

Here's a mecha I've done with illustrator.
The original design is not from me, this amazing mecha (40 meters high, 300 tons), named "Jagd Mirage", comes from a manga named Five Star Stories, by Mamoru Nagano, that I actually have never read, for the simple reason that it's not translated and distributed in France. It can be found in english but only in USA.
Well I say all that because this manga looks amazing, and all the different mecha design that are in this manga are ALL amazing (more than 60 different, and when I say different, it's not like 60 gundams, even if I like gundams too) and this manga looks not well known.
That's it for the infos about the manga.

Then my work : Nothing superhuman I think, I just took a picture (manga style illustration) and I redid all the mecha with illustrator. It's quite long (I started it 6 days ago, with at least one hour of work per day... If not 2).
I'd like to have your opinions on this style, I think it looks good, it looks really precise and thin, but not as cold as pure vector style.
Well, that's all !

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fwdd/jagd007.jpg

(If you want to take a look at all those beautifull mechas, here's a little site I made. It's in french, but you just have to choose one of 'em in the list at the right of the screen http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fwdd/fwdd/fss/ )

(and here's a little picture of the original illustration I used : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fwdd/jagd.jpg )

fireman
02-04-2003, 11:29 PM
POWER!! this mecha design is real cool,Commander Falk! real unique design. i am :drool: all over it!

freddy7133d
02-04-2003, 11:43 PM
I agree with fireman...he looks very unique as far as mechs go..
great line-work...:thumbsup:

megra
02-05-2003, 03:41 AM
ohh, that's lovely. i'm not very fond of illustrator myself. that is nice tho.

Alevice
02-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Pretty original and cool, but realistically speakin, those legs could not hold all the wieght of the upper body.

dmcgrath
02-05-2003, 05:21 AM
I love everything about this mecha except for the pointy feet and the small, delicate hands. But that is not your fault.

Très bon, mon ami. :beer: bienvenue à CGTalk.com.

CENOBITE
02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
That's so 'clean'. Very nice work. I too love the mech designs for 5 star stories... but dont read Japanese. I know the characters are realy popular with Japanese girls tho. They like to dress up like them quite a lot. :surprised

mattregnier
02-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Even though this is the 2d art forum, I would love to see this mech concept realized in 3D. Fantasic job- very original design, and a good coloring job overall.

HoodZ
02-05-2003, 03:19 PM
nice though this is just me you couldve gone further with the gradients with Illustrator...but then again thats probably not the look your going for :beer:

Commander Falk
02-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Haaaa ! As a great fan of FSS (even if I never read it) I'm happy you like this mech' !
All those designs are so amazing and blah...

In order :
-I know those mechs (called Mortarheadds in the manga) and particularly this one, are equiped with antigrav systems, but I also know that, even if the designs are very precise and technical, the author, Mamoru Nagano, also choose not to bother himself with physic problems (The main exemple is that those MHs are able to move at light of speed, which is quite impossible).
But what happens when this MH stops its engines ? Hey, I don't know ! I don't even know if it sometimes stop its engine (here again, they use some special engine which produce power from light or something like that)
But the mecha is maybe made of some special material, I know that the shields and armor plates are made of sort of biological material, I don't remember the name. So maybe that those thin legs are stronger than they look out !

-About the design itself, yep', I think whether you like it or not. The thin legs and heels make it a bit feminine (just a bit !), which is quite good. What I foinf great with those designs is that its out of time (or timeless ?). (Et merci de me souhaiter la bienvenue ! Mais je suis deja venu ! J'ai posté une diablo dans le wip... Qui devrait bientôt apparaître dans le boulot finit, mais on s'dit toujours que c'est finit, et y reste toujours un p'tit schmurtz à retoucher ! Enfin, ça me fait une bière gratuite !)

-Cenobite, as I said upon, FSS exists in english ! It should not be so hard to find in USA, I know diamond dtore or something have now the licence to distribute FSS.

-And yes, most of the characters design are also very original (and the drawing style is too. It looks a bit like fashioin drawing, with tall and thin characters).

-Mmh I already saw this one in 3D (I have pictures of it, tell me if you want it), there are several of those mechs realized in 3D, but it looks like japanese often use a software which make quite bad renders, with lot of reflection, which doesn't highlight the modeling work.

-Yep', now that I look at it again, a bit more contrast could have been better. But its sometimes quite hard to get what you want, particularly on big surfaces (like the shoulders) cuz' you just have radial or lateral gradient. And I didn't wanted too start using the advanced coloring tool which makes the part impossible to edit later.
And as you said, I also try to keep the manga style and I just add gradient because if not it looks bad, contrary to a hand made artwork.

Well, thanks, I'm happy you like the way it looks. I plan to use it later with my own artwork for a possible short made by myself and friends. I think it's a good way to make ultra-clean artwork. Now it will be way harder to do that with organic bodies !

Here are two others that I did before the green one:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fwdd/engageOctaverSR1.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fwdd/engageOctaver.jpg

Alevice
02-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Wow, i do really like thos two.

Alevice
02-05-2003, 11:08 PM

Emre
02-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Hey it is good it is really a unique one...
but,very very complex object. i beleive it is going to broke down in the very first fight. it doesn't make me beleive that it is strong.

dmcgrath
02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Alevice

I'll make it a Triple Post. Those are also fantastic.
You do very nice work, Commander Falk!

vous aiment une autre bière? :beer:

sorry for my French use.

Guardian_2000
02-28-2003, 01:01 PM
As soon as I saw that first picture it screamed Five Star Stories. These are really great. Keep up the good work.

chrisdejoya
02-28-2003, 02:17 PM
amazing. well worth the effort!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.