PDA

View Full Version : eyes control, best way?

ivanGQ
10-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi, I am messing about with motionbuilder (not a bad progy at all). But how do you control the eyes with something like targets (3ds max equivalent to lookAt constraint). I managed to get the same effect by reading this paper ( http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/knowledgebase/solution_details.jsp?type=Technical%20Note&family=MotionBuilder&itemId=0128 ) but where do you link the null pints in the control rig and where do you link the target as well.

Hope someone can help. Regards, Ivan

colkai
10-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Ivan,
I must admit, I set up my eye constraints in LW, with bones to control the movement then nulls for targetting. Providing your rig in MB has eye bones, or the eye pivots are suitably located, then a 'std' goal/target set up should suffice.

Have attached a small test rig.

BTW, you're just "up the road" from me (St Helens). :)

jomoj
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
you should parent the 'up' null to your head bone so that the eye's up vector is always relative to the head, the target null can be either floating or parented to the head directly or via another null that acts a zero reference point.

The eye origin markers should also be parented to the head bone, you may want to use the parent child constraint rather than parenting them directly into the hierarchy as this avoids them being exported as part of the character - if that's what you want.

One way you can do it is to set two markers to drive the target - one is free floating and not tied into the character hierarchy, the other is part of the character so the eyes can animated relative to the head. The actual eye target is constrained to both of these markers but by varying the weight value of the constraints you can either have the eyes track a point in space or follow the head rotation.

Dunno if I've explained that clearly, maybe I need a file...

ivanGQ
10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys, helped. So how is St Helens these days? All the best guys!!

colkai
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Hehe,busy and expanding wit hever more retail parks ...urrgh

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.