PDA

View Full Version : Vista License May Kill Tech Authors...

durbdk
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
I ran across this on WorldCAD Access site, it seems that the Vista license has a clause stating that the font's, icons, images.... may only be used while the computer is running. This means that for all of us who use screengrabs for reports, brochures, books...whatever...it will be illegal under the vista license. Can this be serious?!? Does that mean if you want to write a book about Outlook, Office, Max -that you'll have to write away every time to get there permission (and i'm sure, fee)? Not cool. Linux as a first choice is looking more and more desireable, MS is just getting irritating with the anti-piracy stuff. Here's the link:

And the excerpt from the License: WorldCAD Access (http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/)

3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS. a. Multiplexing. Hardware or software you use to pool connections, or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software (sometimes referred to as “multiplexing” or “pooling”), does not reduce the number of licenses you need. b. Font Components. While the software is running, you may use its fonts to display and print content. You may only embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts; and temporarily download them to a printer or other output device to print content. c. Icons, images and sounds. While the software is running, you may use but not share its icons, images, sounds, and media.

My company uses screen grabs all the time, so I guess we wont be upgrading.
Just thought I'd post this, just in case it could come to effect any of you.

pixelmonk
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
If you have any valid concerns, contact Microsoft directly. You won't find any real answers from a forum like this other than people's speculations, interpretations or anti-Windows trolling.

jtraveller
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
i dont think that really is meant to prevent screengrabs, for they dont have the fonts embedded, same applies for the rest. (uh... hopefully)

sacslacker
10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
This is CG news how? Is there a forum for Vista hysteria?

SunDog101
10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Very Interesting. The CGTalk news forum is my #1 Vista News Source! :)

Howitzer
10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
It shouldn't be.

If you really want to know about this kinda stuff, go to http://osnews.com

ffear
10-17-2006, 07:00 PM
I've never heard of an animation package that didn't require an OS...

Sounds like news to me :deal:

tuna
10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I've never heard of an animation package that didn't require an OS...

Yeah, I've never known a CG artist that didn't require air. Stay tuned while I post this really interesting news on air-filtration units!