PDA

View Full Version : The end of Face Robot

toonafish
10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
so young and almost absolete ?

http://tinyurl.com/ymdp3w

BabeBro
10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
As I posted in the CGNews section, this is a service that they provide. They do not provide any Rigs which is where Face Robot comes in.

yourteenidol
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
As I posted in the CGNews section, this is a service that they provide. They do not provide any Rigs which is where Face Robot comes in.

That may well be true, but I expect that this is a company and a technology that is going to get some real traction in Hollywood as the results produced say it all.

BabeBro
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Agreed, but the folks in hollywood are still going to need someone to create , tweak,and animate the rigs for the data that Image Metrics or Mova provide.

yourteenidol
10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Agreed, but the folks in hollywood are still going to need someone to create , tweak,and animate the rigs for the data that Image Metrics or Mova provide.

I fully agree.

However, this is true now but it will not remain the case forever, it's only a matter of time until the whole process is fully intelligent and automated with a lot less need for human interaction by "animators". Less interaction = less animators needed at the end of the day. That's where this is all heading.

The machine will take over, perhaps sooner than anyone of us thinks.

BabeBro
10-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Ahh ok..Eventually as technology progress's I can see this happening for sure.

AnonyMouse
10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I doubt this :) If the art was only a mirror of the reality probably the mashines would do it at all but we still need things that are not existing or which are not in the aspect what exactly we need.

buttachunk
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
You are assuiming that the same number of productions would occur under those circumstances.

What would happen, in effect, is that half the number of animators can make twice the number of movies. Then another half as many animators can make twice as many movies, and so on. The shift to HD has made it possible to hire less people, and therefore make more movies.

yourteenidol
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Except this isn't about "art" it's about business - the business of producing animation.
Like any other business, the faster you can produce a quality product with lower overheads the greater the possibility for return on investment.

I understand what you are saying but I'd venture a guess that's exactly what the guy horse and buggy said when the motorcar came along.

You don't need to look very far to see how automation in CG is changing the entire face of the animation industry. Only a few years ago nearly all animation was 2D, cell based - look at it now. It's near impossible for a traditional 2d animator to get a job beause things have moved on and computer automation rules the day.

By it's very nature, CG animation is all about automation and as things progress there will be less and less need for intervention by the "animator".

That's my view anyway, still I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know what the future will hold, none of us do. But if I were to bet, I'd venture a guess that I'm correct.

Only time will tell. Let's check back with this archive in the next decade and see!

Till then let's all enjoy our jobs - while we have them :-)

mocaw
10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
So you know an actor with five heads, tentcals, fourteen arms, that breaths fire, has twenty eyes and seventy tails?

I'm exagerating...but I hope you see my point.

And if you wanted to animate a car wrech, plane crash, or a dancing car are you really going to use an actor?

Besides- the reporter was a HORRIBLE actor. At what point is it going to be cheaper to pay an actor OVER AND OVER again to get a good performacne Vs. using something like face robot in conjunction with footage? How does the system allow you to take that data and say exagerate a pose? Who's going to do that exageration? What about a scene where the actor is running, jumping, or doing some quick head movement? How are those worked into this? I'm sure Lucas will use it instead of paying an actor the same amount of money...ugh..

I do see it being used for stunts etc. but replacing everything...that's just a little too orwellian for me to take seriously.

dwigfor
10-17-2006, 10:05 PM
How much does that service cost compared to Face Robot + http://www.softimage.com/about_us/press_room/2006/060801_contour.aspx ?

AnonyMouse
10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Yes, the tools are changing. But che car replaced the horse, not the rider. The horseman rides again but a car. I doubt excelent tool can replace the master working with this tool.
Just think how many painters now have a job because of the CG - who will paint the sketches, the textures? I saw an old animation (2d nonrealistic) clip before few days. There were 2 wimen and they were animated so funny that a was laughing all day - and they are only a background. Put somebody who knows the tool behind it - could he animate them such funny? What would be the reference? Yes, these tools will speed up the process. And this will bring up more processes of the same kind wich will need more animators. Infact the CG animation displaced the 2d animation but probably now there are more animators in 3d than 2d animators in the past. Or I am wrong...?
What I am saying is that nobody need only reproducing what we can see in the manner that we see.

yourteenidol
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, the tools are changing. But che car replaced the horse, not the rider. The horseman rides again but a car. I doubt excelent tool can replace the master working with this tool.
Just think how many painters now have a job because of the CG - who will paint the sketches, the textures? I saw an old animation (2d nonrealistic) clip before few days. There were 2 wimen and they were animated so funny that a was laughing all day - and they are only a background. Put somebody who knows the tool behind it - could he animate them such funny? What would be the reference? Yes, these tools will speed up the process. And this will bring up more processes of the same kind wich will need more animators. Infact the CG animation displaced the 2d animation but probably now there are more animators in 3d than 2d animators in the past. Or I am wrong...?
What I am saying is that nobody need only reproducing what we can see in the manner that we see.

Yes, but how many masters will we need? More or less? You see tools such as these reduce the need for more staff - that's the point of automation to make the job easier, faster, more intuitive. So now rather than to have 20 people assigned to a given task we will have a couple at best. As I see it, at the moment there is pile of people out there looking for work, where are all these jobs coming from then?

Many of us still think of 3d in terms of it's current stone age implementation -- but things they are a changing. I can't think of anyone who is engaged in 3D who want's to make the workflow more difficult, heck, people are always seeking a one button solution and will gravitate towards that if it gets the job done.

Like I said, we can debate this topic from now till the cows come home, but only time will tell.

Look, I hope those of you who disagree with me are right - really I do. I've just got a feeling, ya know.

;-)

Sbowling
10-18-2006, 03:58 AM
so young and almost absolete ?

http://tinyurl.com/ymdp3w

Looks more like a replacement for facial motion capture systems than a replacement for a facial rigging system. So in fact, this would probably be more of something that you would use with Face Robot, not something that would replace it.

Funny thing is that I recognise several of the models shown. The african with the painted face model was posted on XSI base a while back and was done in XSI and Zbrush and another one of the characters is the one used in the Stop Staring book which was done in Maya. some of the others look familiar, but I can't remember where I saw them at.

toonafish
10-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Looks more like a replacement for facial motion capture systems than a replacement for a facial rigging system. So in fact, this would probably be more of something that you would use with Face Robot, not something that would replace it.

maybe you're right, I don't know how it works. Maybe there's no rigging involved like with this mova contour system ?

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2006, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.