PDA

View Full Version : BBC: The Return of the Bedroom Programmers (Games)

RobertoOrtiz
10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Quote:
"Spiralling production costs, development time and accusations of a lack of innovation are causing problems for gaming companies. But some in the industry are hoping the revival of user-generated games may provide the solution. "
>>LINK<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/6047566.stm)

-R

Dennik
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Well i remember those days of excitement, doing stuff for hobby.
And then the bills started running, and i woke up from the dream.

The only way to make a game, is to have a steady income from somewhere else, and plenty, (I mean PLENTY) of time in your hands.

There is a LOT of content to be created when you produce a game. Its not about scrolling 2D graphics anymore....

I'm personally all for indie productions. They keep the hopes of many individual artists and programmers alive. Its not always fun to work on other people's ideas. Its much more exciting to bring your own ideas to life. And i hope that trend of indie productions keeps growing.

coboman
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
The idea that two guys in their spare time are going to bring us the next Tomb Raider, or Gears of War is silly. There is just too much work to be done. I donīt think this idea by Microsoft will work.

However, I do think that we are going to see great innovative indie games, but in the Wii.

The greatest games (for me), have been the simplest: Pac Man, Tetris, and when all was about better graphics, there came Dance Dance Revolution (that is a very simple thing to program, I did one myself to be used with the keyboard for an online advertisement).

The Wii-mote is going to encourage the creation of very simple, very ingenious games. And at that, people at their homes in their spare time are much better than the big companies.

robo3687
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
trust me there are some indie games coming out soon (well one in particular) that are going to change the face of gaming the scope and technology these guys have been working with are just brilliant....i can't go into specifics because we've been told not to pimp the game to people outside of its own site, but its creator did post here long ago in the collaborative projects area searching for help....

coboman
10-18-2006, 09:19 AM
....i can't go into specifics

Can you tell if it is for the Xbox 360?

DaveWortley
10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Well i have no shame in pimping my Indie game..

www.f1cm.co.uk

A Formula 1 Championship Manager game, (F1 licensing issues means we will need a re-brand)

Just trying to find a publisher to take us on! Despite some of the biggest publishers admitting we're a AAA title, no-one wants to take on an Indie developer with no proven track record and a bunch of legal licensing issues! We're going the way of sensible soccer, and anticipate only a marginal drop in sales for this, and no doubt there will be unofficial patches out days after our game is released...

Boone
10-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Finally - I can bring the Dating games to the masses! Hurhuhruhr!:D

Hey, what did you think we do in our bedrooms? Write Crappy Asteroid clones all day? :shrug:

robo3687
10-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Can you tell if it is for the Xbox 360?

at the moment it is PC only but there is specualtion as to whether it will make it onto the 360

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2006, 05:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.